IGNORED

Strange Windows 10 Issue

Hi Guys - I'm at my wits' end with a Windows 10 issue that recently cropped up. Any help you can give is very welcomed.

Details:

My Windows 10 PC runs RoonServer, JRiver, HQPlayer, and a host of other apps. Everything is network based, so no USB connected DACs or anything on this PC. The PC runs just fine for hours, but then certain types of network traffic stop working. 

RoonServer can no longer see endpoints, login to the Roon account, or login to Tidal

HQPlayer can't see NAA endpoints

JRiver can't see the update server

Web browsers can't access any internet pages

However, I can ping both IP addresses and fully qualified domain names both locally and on the internet. 

My temporary solution is to restart the PC and everything works. until come back down to my office in the morning and I'm back to the same several items not working. 

The issue started around mid to late April. It was present before the Windows 10 creators update and after the update. 

Please help if you can.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

54 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - I'm at my wits' end with a Windows 10 issue that recently cropped up. Any help you can give is very welcomed.

Details:

My Windows 10 PC runs RoonServer, JRiver, HQPlayer, and a host of other apps. Everything is network based, so no USB connected DACs or anything on this PC. The PC runs just fine for hours, but then certain types of network traffic stop working. 

RoonServer can no longer see endpoints, login to the Roon account, or login to Tidal

However, I can ping both IP addresses and fully qualified domain names both locally and on the internet. 

My temporary solution is to restart the PC and everything works. until come back down to my office in the morning and I'm back to the same several items not working. 

The issue started around mid to late April. It was present before the Windows 10 creators update and after the update. 

Please help if you can.

Next question is: Only on Windows?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Any notion yet of whether this is related more to uptime duration or time of day? 

(P.S. Carriers can't have dispensed with net neutrality *this* quickly, can they?)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

Any notion yet of whether this is related more to uptime duration or time of day? 

(P.S. Carriers can't have dispensed with net neutrality *this* quickly, can they?)

Good question. I can't pin it down to any specific time or uptime duration. It's as if some process runs daily on Windows 10 that causes everything not to work as it should. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Details:

Please help if you can.

Switch to Mac or Linux.

5 hours ago, dean70 said:

Faulty NIC driver? Are there network interface driver updates available?

Good question. I will look for different NIC drivers to test. It's hard to believe the NIC drivers would work for a while then stop working for only some items. But, stranger things have happened. 

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I just received an email from @jrobbins50 who had a very similar problem to you. He resolved the issue by removing some windows updates. 

If it works for you too, Chris, I'd be interested in knowing the updates involved.

A few weeks ago I started having problems accessing files in my NAS via a mapped network drive.  This coincided with me upgrading several client PCs to Win10 Creators Edition (RS2).  In particular, I have an HP Spectre x360 ultrabook that has this issue with Win10 RS2 but not with Win10 RS1 (Anniversary Edition).  I installed RS2 three times and rolled back to RS1 each time to confirm.

I can easily believe one of the Win10 updates (downloaded & installed from Windows Update) is the cause of your networking troubles, and I'd also like to know which update it is.

My NAS is actually a NUC running Windows Server 2012 R2, and it's been taking monthly updates from Windows Update alongside the Win10 client PCs.  In my case it may be the networking on the NAS side being wrecked by an update, as rebooting this NAS seems to help for a while.

Netio.sys maybe one of the problems. I haven't been able to pin down exactly what this system process in windows 10 does. Apparently, you cannot remove it. Some on the internet have said the netio.sys problem is to do with an NVIDIA graphics card interfering with the network adapter and have suggested updating the drivers for wireless/NIC to resolve it. I don't have a NVIDIA graphics card, but a couple of times a week I am getting a Blue Screen of Death, system stop, from netio.sys on my Surface Pro 4. This only occured after updating to Creators edition.

On 5/4/2017 at 3:55 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I can tell you how to avoid auto accidents. Don't drive or ride in a car. Helpful? I think not. 

It is actually.

If you consider the analog as in not "Don't drive", but "Don't drive bicycle on highways, rather drive a safe car there.".

Windows is long known for a flaky networking stack, at least from everything I could see.

Could be NIC drivers, could be a switch or router (not Windows problems per se), could be bad cables.

But in my experience, Windows is much more likely to have networking issues than either macOS or Linux.

18 minutes ago, win32pro said:

But in my experience, Windows is much more likely to have networking issues than either macOS or Linux.

Are you kidding?  MacOS has had major problems with wifi.  Have a look at what happened when Apple tried to replace mDNSResponder with discoveryd.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's