On 4/29/2017 at 5:40 PM, jhwalker said:

If you like classical, the new Mahler Symphony No. 3 from Budapest Festival Orchestra:

https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/38817-mahler-symphony-no-3-in-dminor

is available in DSD64, 128, and 256, but was mixed at DXD, which is the source for all the DSD conversions.

I downloaded the DXD 5.0, and it's wonderful - it's also 25+ GB!

Oh good to hear!

Do you have any other Mahler 3rd's in your library? How does this Fischer performance compare?

I have the Zander, MTT, and Chailly on DSD and probably a couple other Redbook versions.

I'm a little daunted by the almost $30 price tag too, to be honest. I usually try to find my SACDs under $15.

They're a bit obscure, but most of the DXD purchases in my library are from the Norwegian label 2L. You can sample quite a few tracks at this site: http://www.2l.no/hires/

I've discovered and bought some really fantastic music here. My personal faves:

1. Arnesen Magnificat

2. Ola Gjeilo: Piano Improvisations

3. Hoff Ensemble: Quiet Winter Night

4. SPES

Have a listen to the samples and see if anything strikes your fancy.

12 hours ago, austinpop said:

Oh good to hear!

Do you have any other Mahler 3rd's in your library? How does this Fischer performance compare?

I have the Zander, MTT, and Chailly on DSD and probably a couple other Redbook versions.

I'm a little daunted by the almost $30 price tag too, to be honest. I usually try to find my SACDs under $15.

It is only now in my later years that I start getting into Mahler. I used to find him too much.....sugar?  So this is my 1th version of the 3rd. but I will explore some of your suggestions. thanks,:D

43 minutes ago, PAP said:

It is only now in my later years that I start getting into Mahler. I used to find him too much.....sugar?  So this is my 1th version of the 3rd. but I will explore some of your suggestions. thanks,:D

Keep in mind, I was talking about DSD versions, not DXD, which is the purpose of your thread. None of the versions I own are available in DXD that I'm aware.

3 minutes ago, christian u said:

wow. I guess you are happy that the cost of hard drives are going down:D

Yes, the ever dropping cost of hard drives and NAS storage means that we can download and enjoy high resolution Stereo and Surround Sound music files without the need for data reduction (MP3, AAC, DTS, Dolby, MQA, etc).   Good news indeed ! 

On 4/29/2017 at 5:40 PM, jhwalker said:

If you like classical, the new Mahler Symphony No. 3 from Budapest Festival Orchestra:

https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/38817-mahler-symphony-no-3-in-dminor

is available in DSD64, 128, and 256, but was mixed at DXD, which is the source for all the DSD conversions.

I downloaded the DXD 5.0, and it's wonderful - it's also 25+ GB!

Was there a discount code I missed? I want to get this, but not loving the price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2017 at 0:27 AM, PAP said:

I must say I find this download very impressive. This really sounds as if being there. The label has a very good track record. Their previous releases has all been 96 pcm, and very very good indeed but this DXD takes it all up a notch.

If this is exemplary for DXD recordings then that is what I will be searching for.

DXD recommendations please!

CSTB300shadowv2.pngSound Liaison; Carmen Gomes sings the Blues. 

Only two days left off the 33% discount on the flac files. But I do recommend the DXD version if your DAC can handle it, even though it is only a 20% discount on those files.

I have read that article on NativeDSD and they make a reasonable observation that the codecs might be what is the source of the effect.  That said, my operating principle is that if ever hits PCM, then stay with PCM. So that would imply that I would always by the DXD when available...  But I have to admit that DSDs just sound better on my system (mostly).

The remastered jazz on 2xHD sounds awesome in 2xDSD (I can't play 4x yet).  The Sundquist/Mortensen recording Tundra on Lawo in DXD is stunning.  

1 hour ago, oso said:

It is maybe also a question of what your DAC is good at....no? One DAC is better with PCM and another with DSD?

That's why it's good to try out some sample music downloads in different formats and bit rates before buying. 

For example, the Free Downloads in the "Members" section on NativeDSD Music have sample music tracks in multiple versions (Stereo and Multichannel DSD 64, 128, 256 or DXD).  Just set up a free account and download some samples to see which sounds best on your system.

https://members.nativedsd.com/

On the DACs and Players I have with DSD and DXD, the DSD tracks sound better.  Even when they come from DXD edited masters or DXD recordings.  Not what you would expect but it turns out that way here. 

Also, some PCM DACs do not play DXD files.  So be sure your DAC does play them before buying. 

37 minutes ago, fredlobo said:

My Teac NT-503 plays DXDs and  DSDs (up to 2x) just fine.  Still evaluating DACs that can do 4xDSD.  What I like about 4x is that is pushes the quantization error far out of the audible range.

The good news is that many of the newer DACs with DSD are coming out with DSD 256 included. 

Check the NativeDSD Database for a complete list at the DSD DACs and Players tab

http://www.nativedsd.com/database