IGNORED

Holo Spring vs. T+A DAC8 DSD

Hello guys,

I'm a long-time daily reader but a limited poster. I'm currently using a Hugo TT via a microRendu and HQPlayer at 352/384 and loving it. But I've got the itch to do DSD512. I'm debating on getting a Windows NAA and going with the T+A or try the Holo/SU-1. I've been reluctant to move away from the microRendu or I would already have the T+A. I'm just looking for some comparisons and advice. I've backed out of making this move a couple of time since I really enjoy the TT and maybe I should just stay with it, but you know how this stuff does you. I built a computer several months after Ted B's model so DSD512 shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Vic

My semi-serious reply: don't scratch the itch, or put some anti-itch cream on it. :)

Okay, seriously: If I was you I'd try to borrow or audition one of the DACs - maybe an owner of one lives within driving distance? Seems like a big outlay and serious change of course when you don't know if you will even think the change is an improvement/significant difference.

Personally, when I heard DSD 512 (on Lampizators), I wasn't knocked out by it. It sounded a little different/better - not enough to make me want to define  my entire listening environment by it. (Hey, but I'm seem to be in the minority here - I think upsampling to hi-res PCM also sounds fine.)

Also, check on the T+A thread - I think a solution for Linux based servers is in the works. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I am too waiting for that comparo, i am in the same position, keeping the mR and get the Holo or going straight to T+A and get rid of the mR and maybe going for the SOtM sMS-200 instead?, perhaps it even won't need it cause an ISO REGEN is in its way, but definitely a comparo is very urgent!

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:29 AM, vgrubb said:

Hello guys,

I'm a long-time daily reader but a limited poster. I'm currently using a Hugo TT via a microRendu and HQPlayer at 352/384 and loving it. But I've got the itch to do DSD512. I'm debating on getting a Windows NAA and going with the T+A or try the Holo/SU-1. I've been reluctant to move away from the microRendu or I would already have the T+A. I'm just looking for some comparisons and advice. I've backed out of making this move a couple of time since I really enjoy the TT and maybe I should just stay with it, but you know how this stuff does you. I built a computer several months after Ted B's model so DSD512 shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Vic

How does normal Redbook sound on your TT in comparison to upsampling to DXD?  Personally I find Chord DAC's, at least the ones I've owned, to sound best without upsampling.  If you enjoy the Chord sound signature, as I do, you would be best served to remain in that family, wait for the upgrade in the next year.  If you have a lot of DSD, well then you might be best served with a different DAC family.

I agree that it doesn't hurt to hear other DAC's without purchase.  But your not really going to know without placing them in your system for direct comparison.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

On 4/29/2017 at 3:29 PM, vgrubb said:

Hello guys,

Thanks in advance.

Vic

My advice: keep the Chord/mRendu combi and stay away from upsampling to DSD. Or at least try before you buy. In my experience the DSD route means drifting away from realness (especially on stringed instruments) ultimate transparency and a reach out and touch experience. If your goal is a smeared, rounded, congested and artificial presentation then go for it! BTW, I am not saying that native DSD isn't good but there is so little good musical content in this format.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz