IGNORED

Audivarna Pus and Aries Mini.

Hi all.

I have looked through a million posts and cannot see anything on this.  A simple question.  Can you configure Audivarna Plus to work with the Aries Mini?  I like Audivarna better the Lightning DS software.  For a start the Lightning DS is inconsistent in reproducing the artwork associated with downloads.  Audivarna does not seem to have this issue.  And, yes I have tried all sorts of file types to get the DS app to work better but to no avail.  I apologise if this has already been answered somewhere on this site.

The Aries Mini through the Chord DAVE sounds awesome! (by the way:)

Cheers

Rob.

2 hours ago, rjb301 said:

Hi all.

I have looked through a million posts and cannot see anything on this.  A simple question.  Can you configure Audivarna Plus to work with the Aries Mini?  I like Audivarna better the Lightning DS software.  For a start the Lightning DS is inconsistent in reproducing the artwork associated with downloads.  Audivarna does not seem to have this issue.  And, yes I have tried all sorts of file types to get the DS app to work better but to no avail.  I apologise if this has already been answered somewhere on this site.

The Aries Mini through the Chord DAVE sounds awesome! (by the way:)

Cheers

Rob.

No you cannot use Audirvana with the Aries mini. And you cannot use the Audirvana remote app to control the Aries mini. 

Audirvana at this time runs in one and only one configuration: as a library and music player running on a mac, and outputting to a mac USB port.

There might be a way to do this by chosing an Airplay speaker in Audirvana and use Airplay to the Aries mini, although this would limit the resolution to 16bit/44KHz, which given you have a Chord Dave you certainly don't want to do. And it might get complicated as it might require Airfoil or Soundflower+Airfoil, so def not recommended.

There's some talk of enabling Audirvana to stream to a networked device (in a similar fashion as HQPlayer streams to an NAA endpoint) but this solution would still have Audirvana running on a mac, not the Aries mini, and Auralic would have to support this protocol - and given the history of not supporting NAA, I very much doubt they would bother.

If you insist on Audirvana, your only real solution is a mac connected to your Dave.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I'm interested in hearing how you find the SQ of Lightning DS compared to A+ (assuming you are running 3)?  I really like A+ 3 and don't want to change it unless and until I find a software that really equals it for music.  Don't care about the library so much.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

typo

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, el_cato said:

the Sonore MicroRendu (the sound of which I love, but I find impossible to play reliably to, I can't get both the DLNA and the Spotify Connect apps to be easily swapped in and out of, the UltraRendu was working great, and now that I've update the DLNA app, I can't connect to it! arrgh...)

You should be able to get Spotify Connect on the Sonore devices, without having to swap output mode, if your 'main' output mode is either #1 Squeeezelite or #3a DLNA:

Mode #1 - Squeezelite Output:

Requires you install Logitech Media Server and the Spotty LMS plugin, either on the Sonore itself or preferably (externally) on a NAS.

Mode #3a - DLNA Output

By installing the Logitech Media Server and the UPnP/DLNA bridge LMS plugin, you can also get the DLNA Output to behave as a Squeezelite streamer, ie, as for Mode #1 - so should get Spotify Connect if you also install the Spotty LMS plugin.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

15 hours ago, el_cato said:

Things evolve quickly, I think Miguelito's answer above is outdated.

I'm using an Auralic Aries Mini with firmware v5.5.1 and I am using Audirvana Plus 3.2.8

The Mini has two work modes, Lighting Device vs UPnP.

To switch between them:

Within Lightning DS app, access Settings wheel (bottom left), press "Additional Operations" at the bottom of the Settings window, access Streamer Setup in the left column, scroll down to Streamer Mode/Work Mode, choose UPnP Renderer.

It will interrupt the other input methods listed above the Streamer Mode box (AirPlay, Bluetooth, Roon and Spotify all need the work mode to be "Lightning Device" to work).

But, it will make the Mini visible within Audirvana_Plus/Preferences/Audio_System/Preferred_Audio_Device ?
CQFD.

Now, a few caveats:

1. I have a headless MacMini connected to the same Ethernet switch as the Mini, so no issues of bandwidth since the switch just establishes a "straight pipe" between the two devices;

2. Auralic does not encourage using the UPnP setting, they explicitly state that they prefer customers using the Lightning DS and Lightning Device mode... And Audirvana does play fine mostly, but sometimes the album stops after the end of a track and you have to restart the next track manually, so it's not seamless...

3. My Ethernet switch is connected to the network using a Netgear Powerline 1200 (brick walls are bad for wi-fi and bad to pass Ethernet cables!), so the signal is somewhat poor and when I tried to stream from my iMac over wi-fi to the Router to the Switch to the Mini, the signal drops off quickly even if Audirvana on the iMac can see the Aries Mini.

4. I haven't done any sound comparison yet. Too much gear and too many options! I was about to sell the Aries Mini precisely because of its inability to stream from Audirvana, but now that that's resolved, I have to compare it to the Sonore MicroRendu (the sound of which I love, but I find impossible to play reliably to, I can't get both the DLNA and the Spotify Connect apps to be easily swapped in and out of, the UltraRendu was working great, and now that I've update the DLNA app, I can't connect to it! arrgh...)

That's it for now, hope that's helpful to someone...

Glad I could help.

Let us know how you go playing from Audirvana uninterrupted, my connection to the Aries keeps dropping after a random single digit number of tracks, although all but one time I was able to resume playback by hitting play again in Audirvana.

cheers