IGNORED

Apple losing to Spotify?

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That's one way to take the lead. 

Possibly. They better get going then if they want to lead because they sure aren't right now. (At least in this small arena). The Spotify Connect feature is going to be tough to beat and they (Apple) really show no sign of something as slick. AirPlay is sketchy and I think to a lot of folks feels like yestertech. How else do for most normal (I.e. Non audiophile) get their tunes through their home if not lashing their phone up to a system, Bluetooth (awful) AirPlay or the big kid in the block, Sonos. Guess which one customers choose when they are all explained and then demoed?

David

5 minutes ago, realhifi said:

Wall Street has been betting on this for years. I do believe Apple has turned into one of those "giants". Think they are falling soon?

Wall Street is still saying Apple is *undervalued*, even as they remain the most valuable company in the world.  Last target price I saw was $160-$170 (they are currently at ~$145).

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

• 2 months later...

Apple Music is a feature for Apple's other products and Apple doesn't have to make money from it.  Spotify is a one product company that has yet to make  a profit even after all these years.

Any usage numbers have to take into account that Spotify has a free streaming option in low res with ads that they make very little money from.

I paid for Spotify but never liked the interface.  When Apple Music came out I tried that and eventually dumped Spotify.  

Ogg Vorbis is not a very good codec by the way.  256k AAC>320k Ogg Vorbis.  But it is free which is why Spotify uses it.

I now pay for Apple Music, Tidal, and Pandora. Apple Music comes with all Apple devices, can be bought for $100 for a year, and has a better family plan that other have had to change to match.  Apple has something like 90 million credit cards on hand making it easy to subscribe to Apple Music.

Apple Music also has iTunes Match and you can have your streaming and iTunes music in one interface.  Apple has already made a major interface improvement and another one is coming a few months.

Airplay works great unless your wifi network has configuration issues.  I use it at the same time to 5 endpoints in a 5200 sq ft house no problem plus Airplay 2 is coming.

I like Spotify Connect but I think very few of their millions of users use it and it is not a differentiating feature for most.  Most people listen to Spotify on mobile devices.  People who read this forum are outliers and not representative of the millions who use both services.

Apple is nowhere near falling nor is Apple Music..  :-)

• 4 weeks later...