IGNORED

Article: Notes From a Disconnected Axpona

I strolled through Axpona on Friday and would add one more, in a lot of rooms LOUD was the order of the day and I am talking LOUD excessively.  The LOUD came in a variety of forms from actually pretty good to down right nasty.  Maybe this is just a personal bias on my part, but on a couple of occassions I asked the presenter to turn it down so we can hear better.  

Chris,  

Well said!  It was great meeting up with everybody and having a good time.  It seemed that the room sound correlated with the fun being had in the room.  The Lampi and YFS guys were having fun and playing varied music that sounded great. There were a few others, too.  I heard a lot of closed up squeaky sound in the quiet "equipment to be revered" rooms.  But a couple of those managed good sound even if they played the audiophile classics. 

Music is generational, we know, so it should be obvious that to get more newer (read younger, here) people into the hobby they should be playing music that younger people enjoy.  They are currently playing the music that they enjoy.  The above mentioned rooms had younger staff, so....

I hope that the guys in the industry you talked to succeed in influencing at least their manufacturers to be active in keeping the hobby up with the times, so to speak.

Jay

Thanks for the honest feedback.  A refreshing view.  

I remember 10 years ago I tried to listen to classical music and jazz that were mentioned during reviews or trade shows.  It was fun to research those genres and some of the music I enjoyed.  But for the most part I love my metal/alternative/pop music.  I always go back to this for relaxation and enjoyment.  I can sit back and get moved by listening to Slayer or Volbeat, but I never hear any of that at the HIFI shops or shows (I've only been to a few events).

When I was purchasing my last DAC I put in Ratt's Out of the Cellar CD, original release.  Me and the dealer had a half hour talk about seeing the band in 80's at the Old Met Center in Bloomington, Mn.  It was wonderful to connect with the dealer and feel like I could put anything on, and I did.  So there's still hope left.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Chris-

Thought what you wrote was well considered and didn't sound like a rant. 

As well, pretty true. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, ShawnC said:

Thanks for the honest feedback.  A refreshing view.  

I remember 10 years ago I tried to listen to classical music and jazz that were mentioned during reviews or trade shows.  It was fun to research those genres and some of the music I enjoyed.  But for the most part I love my metal/alternative/pop music.  I always go back to this for relaxation and enjoyment.  I can sit back and get moved by listening to Slayer or Volbeat, but I never hear any of that at the HIFI shops or shows (I've only been to a few events).

When I was purchasing my last DAC I put in Ratt's Out of the Cellar CD, original release.  Me and the dealer had a half hour talk about seeing the band in 80's at the Old Met Center in Bloomington, Mn.  It was wonderful to connect with the dealer and feel like I could put anything on, and I did.  So there's still hope left.

Wow, Ratt at Met Center! I saw Motley Crue there for my first concert ever. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Very good piece. I have to say I avoid shows like that completely (since I'm not in the biz, it's no real loss) because after going to a few, I had a very similar reaction. Wait - does your system only sound good playing THAT? Wait - does EVERYONE's system only sound good playing THAT? Feels a lot like I remember when stereo first took off in the consumer world, and everyone was buying records that had stuff panned wildly left and right and back and forth, with 101 Strings and Mantovani. Look, the sound can come from more than one place!  Not, listen, isn't that the sound of angels singing?

And then the pontificators who seemed to be waiting for me in many rooms drove the final stake through the heart of joy. Most didn't like when I said "no, shh, just music please."  And then they'd play the same chopped up mix-tape that everyone else had. Take THAT!

Maybe it would have been different if I didn't keep my focus on rooms that were within my target budget at the time. Maybe the people in high end rooms didn't need carefully selected anodyne music to make their systems sound good, and knew that the sound of music would sell their stuff better than their words.

Much respect to those who are able to endure all that so that I don't have to. 

Chris, that hour we spent at the bar (you, tubelover, forehaven, solstice380, myself, Rob and 3-4 others whose handles I forget, sorry) was a great kickoff to the Show for me.  I had way more of our "lets have fun and listen to MUSIC" attitude after that spirited discussion about everything music. 

I am sorry to say I never visited your 2 favorite rooms (I never got up to 12, for example) but I found 4 or 5 that I could have lived in for the two days we were there (Volti/Border Patrol, Harbeth/LIO, Odyssey black light room with Klauss, Bricasti, etc).  I was usually enticed by good music, not some demo of throat singing.

BTW, give Moon Shaped Pool ten more listens before you dismiss it.  :)  Oh, and send me/us a list of non-top 40 Prince stuff (that's an article waiting to happen).

AXPONA was geared too much into the "middle aged doctor" price bracket. Likewise, there was only a few rooms I enjoyed regardless of price. I tried to hit the sweet spot where available, but there is only so much that can be done with little hotel rooms. The Vinnie Rossi room was basically unlistenable due to bass flub. Besides the poor room acoustics, there was the talking, the STANDING IN THE HALL INSTEAD OF SITTING DOWN, the walking in front of speakers, and needing to give up your seat to give others a chance to sit, etc.

A lot of very high end, well-respected gear was on display, but due to the above factors it was almost impossible to get a good / accurate feel for them. I've said the Vinnie Rossi's ILO is horrendously over-priced, but I can't blame it for sounding like it did at AXPONA because there was clearly a room interaction going on. The same could be said for many pieces of gear I listened to there. 

Hey, I totally get where you're coming from! As a manufacturer, I too get tired of the same esoteric music over and over. In our room we use Tidal and let people request tracks and sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get someone to name an artist or track that they like. It could be that we as an industry have programmed them not to ask and so they're afraid to for fear of breaking some sort of unwritten rule. We'd like to encourage people at trade shows to remember that THEY are the customers and THEY own the transactional relationship. If our gear sounds good with the music you listen to and you think it's a good value then we hope you'd consider buying it. If it doesn't sound good or isn't in your price range, then we get that. Also, your point is well taken that the stratospheric prices of some of the gear makes it way too far out of reach of the average buyer. One of our biggest gripes as a company that tries to manufacture gear that's affordable is that the press frequently won't spend any time with us. Many of them (this isn't directed at you, although I'm not sure if you were in any of the 5 places we had gear ;) at AXPONA) can't wait to get to the "classic" manufacturers and see the expensive stuff and completely pass us and companies like us right by!

We'd like potential customers to be much more active in asking (even demanding) to hear what THEY want to hear. We'd also like the Press to make an effort to look for that affordable gear. Our target customers, to whom we advertise directly and who are receptive to affordable equipment, do come to shows like this specifically because we target them. We see the looks on their faces when they see the price tags on some of the more expensive gear - they look like Duluth, MN homeowners looking at California Real Estate - pure sticker shock and utter disbelief that those prices could possibly be justified.

I think all 3 legs of this stool (manufacturers, customers and press) bear some responsibility for it being shaky!

The last audio show I went to was in NYC at the height of the CD introduction. Even though Axpona is within easy driving distance, I have never wished to go for many of the reasons you mentioned.

Try requesting the Faust / Meinikov Beethoven Sonatas for Piano and Violin at an audio show and see how far you get. 

Also, for those who think music is being played too loud, I can suggest ear plugs. I carry them around with me wherever I go. At some live music events, they are a must and at some weddings I have attended with DJ's that equate "good sound" with "loud sound" they are essential.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Hi Chris,

I bought the B&W Nautilus 802s a few years after you bought yours and still have them and probably always will. I also bought a pair of 7B SSTs and a ML 390s at the same time and will no doubt have those forever as well. If I were to try to replace that system today it would easily be double what I paid in inflation adjusted terms. I just add to give my system functionality (server, endpoint ....) so I can stream Tidal.

John Atkinson had a great piece in Stereophile where he used a physics analogy to say that most of the hardware in the hobby will not even be visible to an ordinary consumer.

I spent a little time in the sales end of this hobby and I can't even stand the thought of the music ( if you can even call it that) that we had to play to sell high end equipment.

Great piece. I hope someone is listening. Otherwise we are just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Bob

I enjoyed your article, Chris. Music is what it's all about. Right now on my system, I've got a mix of 2000s British rock: Clinic, The Futureheads, and Good Shoes. Loving it. Btw, I saw that Ratt/Crüe show and Dio, Twisted Sister. Oh those high school days. 

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

Hi,   Good read, thanks,

A couple of points,

re

" For music, for gear, or to spend all the money you inherited or married into, is of no concern to me"

You should know some people earned their money, intended or not i sense a bitterness there.

re music.

Music taste is very generational. People tend to like the type of music they listen to when they came of age.

Each generation tends to think "their" music is great and the other stuff is just OK,  The music played at RMAF is more varied than at most shows.

The neat thing about headphones gatherings is every one brings their own music on drives and plays it for them selves and no one cares about who listens to what. We can appreciate each others gear listening the stuff we like.  Some how that needs to morph over to shows with loudspeakers.

Really Boatheelmusic? You had to share THAT opinion? 

Chris, I enjoyed the read! I will share that this was my first show to attend and I enjoyed it. All of the items of discontent the folks have mentioned I can agree with their point of view. However, those same issues were helpful reviewing the equipment I was interested in. One song was continuously played in several rooms, while not something I would purchase, it did work the equipment to the show the benefits of each system. I liked the Yvette’s, but the folks with Joseph Audio really showed off their speakers better than most manufacturers. And some folks really did not seem to care how they were set up considering their software had a room correction feature. Thumbs up for Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, and let's add Sia! :-)

I don't think Axpona is alone. Seems to me every time I attend CAS, many of the rooms are playing the same 3 instrument jazz piece. In this era of streaming digital, there is no reason why a common file server and  pre published program of music cuts couldn't be used for half the hour, allowing you to time your visit to  a dealer and music you wanted to audition with. Suspect I'd still kite through the less than ideal rooms but it wouldn't be the dealers music choice making me move on...I'd  hear the same music in every room  for half the hour.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

6 hours ago, steve21 said:

Hi,   Good read, thanks,

A couple of points,

re

" For music, for gear, or to spend all the money you inherited or married into, is of no concern to me"

You should know some people earned their money, intended or not i sense a bitterness there.

re music.

Music taste is very generational. People tend to like the type of music they listen to when they came of age.

Each generation tends to think "their" music is great and the other stuff is just OK,  The music played at RMAF is more varied than at most shows.

The neat thing about headphones gatherings is every one brings their own music on drives and plays it for them selves and no one cares about who listens to what. We can appreciate each others gear listening the stuff we like.  Some how that needs to morph over to shows with loudspeakers.

You honestly think I don't realize that most people earn their money? I have zero bitterness toward anyone in any tax bracket. 

Plus, you have no clue about my financial situation. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png