IGNORED

Fake Plants as Diffusers ??

I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the efficacy of using a fake Ficus or fake bamboo plant as a diffuser?

I have a big picture window behind one of my 3.7i Magneplanars and if the fake plant will work, it should be well worth it.

(drapes are a no-no due to allergens)

The artificial plant will do a little bit of diffusing (better than nothing) but maybe instead buy a real diffuser against the window somehow, and then hide it by using the plant.  Try it; most plant stores or big box stores will let you return it if not harmed.  They are usually pretty sturdy.  What's behind the other Maggie?

Geez, the speakers are going to sound a lot different based on what you describe.  Maybe you could find a couple of those divider panels that people use in offices or places where someone stands behind the panel to change clothes.  Those panels usually have a fabric covering, but you could improvise that, and the important thing is to get the reflection/absorption about the same behind each speaker.

12 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the efficacy of using a fake Ficus or fake bamboo plant as a diffuser?

I have a big picture window behind one of my 3.7i Magneplanars and if the fake plant will work, it should be well worth it.

(drapes are a no-no due to allergens)

Plants' leaves also get dusty.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

As Dalethorn points out, you have a bigger issue than a fake plant behind one of your Maggies.  If the speaker positioning is so asymmetrical regarding the wall or spaces behind them then that fact alone needs to be dealt with.  Near wall lf reinforcement, imaging, etc all suffer.  As Dalethorn recommends, try to artificially give each speaker a front wall to "see" that is somewhat symmetrical, either via panels or bookshelves or something.  A picture window on one and 9 feet of space on the other will never be even remotely affected by a plant diffuser.  My $.02.

Has DSP/EQ helped at all (I hate going there but this is severe).

I tried fake plants (too dark for real ones) but they made little sonic difference. However they do help aesthetically - to disguise the (more effective) foam panels that I've put behind my ESLs

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

You could try some decorative wood panels from India, like this:

IMG_0008.thumb.JPG.b4fbccdea6ce3acdf7423b45aec523fa.JPG

They are movable (and removable) then easy to setup.  But you need a set of two, to place identical material behind each speaker.

The front wall (behind speakers) doesn't need to be hard, but medium hard.  This could depend on the wood hardiness. I like the India, it works better as diffusers, because of the wood 'engravings'.  And of course wood...

As a ruler of tumb: Medium hard wall in the front, hard in the sides, and soft in the rear.

Roch