IGNORED

Blue Jeans Cable Cat 6a

2 minutes ago, jabbr said:

The new REVConnect connector system is really state of the art.

Yes.  It is unfortunate that one cannot rent the installation tool.  I had to come up with an alternative installation system for the cable.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

8 hours ago, KingRex said:

Your talking in circles.  Trusting your ears means blind test are not needed.  I trust what I hear.  I don't need to doubt myself and prove anything to anyone.  I am satisfied in what I hear and know. 

Nope, not circles. If you can't trust your ears, neither should anyone else:

46 minutes ago, plissken said:

How much is $110 compared to the rest of your gear? Also you could have sold it...

Sure, I could afford it but I chose not to go the route where the total cost of two $10 connectors (assuming they were done properly the first time) would have cost more than $60 each.    (Besides, I find it hard to resell anything.  Just ask my wife.)

That said, if I need to do multiple connections in the future, I will reassess. 

Kal Rubinson

4 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Sure, I could afford it but I chose not to go the route where the total cost of two $10 connectors (assuming they were done properly the first time) would have cost more than $60 each.    (Besides, I find it hard to resell anything.  Just ask my wife.)

Agreed as I just use my handy dandy Allentel AT680 for RJ45 / RJ11 and Paladin punch down for 66/110 block. Seems to work just fine for audio applications. 

13 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Depends on what you are trying to do and assess. 

The beauty of the REVConnect is the ability to make a consistent high qualityimpedance matched connection. Important for 10G. If you are using 10mbit Ethernet, you probably can twist two coat hangars together (I’m sure that’s been done ?).

Theres a short learning curve for 1G — basically you want to untwist the wires as little as possible when making the connection. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I was at a job for our software package (install and training). I get on site, it's a new building, and ZERO data cabling ran. 

I know how to run and terminate data cabling out of necessity because, well, there are a ton of lazy LV installers out there ?

I got them to approve an additional 3 days of onsite labor, took their building / physical plant manager, went to Graybar, picked up 7000 foot of cabling, Panduit plates, keystones, 8P8C, ~20 RU rack, 110 5e block, switches. Gave him a 20 minute crash course on punching down both 110 and keystones. 

I think we had 1 out of 64 that needed re-punched and it all spec'd out for 5e. 

The engineering bodies for this stuff did such a good job I can get a reasonably mechanically inclined individual to terminate to spec in less than half an hour. 

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

Depends on what you are trying to do and assess. 

The beauty of the REVConnect is the ability to make a consistent high qualityimpedance matched connection. Important for 10G. If you are using 10mbit Ethernet, you probably can twist two coat hangars together (I’m sure that’s been done ?).

Theres a short learning curve for 1G — basically you want to untwist the wires as little as possible when making the connection. 

What I meant was, if I do a reconfiguration of the network wiring which would entail new interconnections, I would probably want to support 10G since I would not want to do it again.

At the moment, 1G is working just fine. 

Kal Rubinson

29 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

What I meant was, if I do a reconfiguration of the network wiring which would entail new interconnections, I would probably want to support 10G since I would not want to do it again.

At the moment, 1G is working just fine. 

15 year old CAT5e supports 10G.

56 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

No doubt but why would one install CAT5e today?  The cost of the cables is minimal and it is not likely that I would have access to the wall space again.

Sorry, I'm missing your point. What I'm saying is if you have 5e in wall, and it's at spec, you defacto have 10G support and no rewire required. 

3 hours ago, plissken said:

Sorry, I'm missing your point. What I'm saying is if you have 5e in wall, and it's at spec, you defacto have 10G support and no rewire required. 

Sorry.  I was having some renovations done last year and I took the opportunity to run CAT6A (Belden 10GX) from my den (Desktop PC, Modem/Router and NAS drives to the main room (Music player/system) through walls.  The only terminations I made were at the two ends.

However, I am contemplating moving the NAS drives and the modem/router into a laundry/utility room through which the cable passes and that will require new switches and connection in there.  Not currently planning on 10G but will do what is necessary to keep that as an option. 

Kal Rubinson

19 hours ago, KingRex said:

Your talking in circles.  Trusting your ears means blind test are not needed.  I trust what I hear.  I don't need to doubt myself and prove anything to anyone.  I am satisfied in what I hear and know. 

No.  You are trusting your perception, not your ears.

13 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

No.  You are trusting your perception, not your ears.

In the path for auditory perception of first are the ears. Honestly I do not see much difference.

Where there could be differences is in taste. Very subjective for each individual...

Roch

• 3 months later...

I put some blue jean cables in but did not hear a significant Sonic difference. Being a electrical contractor I might look at getting the Belden tool to use their new connectors. I do find it intriguing the way they minimize any difference in length between the four pairs of wires in the jacket. I run into the same problem when I come to a termination strip at my main distribution box. I like the idea of eliminating the termination strip altogether.  I would rather install a male connector and go directly into my switch. That gets rid of a termination strip a jumper to my switch.

My blue jeans perceptions are not well vetted at all. I put them in turned on my stereo and never did a back-and-forth comparison. I will say they are very well made.

On 6/25/2018 at 9:43 AM, Kal Rubinson said:

The Belden Modular 6A Patch cables claim to be based on the same technology as REVConnect -- and why wouldn't they be?

https://www.cdw.com/product/Belden-10GX-Modular-Cord-patch-cable-10-ft-black/2115853?cm_cat=GoogleBase&cm_ite=2115853&cm_pla=NA-NA-BLD_CN&cm_ven=acquirgy&ef_id=W2nnYwAAAehniT2e:20181022202344:s&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2ImIsPCa3gIVEIzICh1fWwCKEAQYBSABEgLbL_D_BwE&s_kwcid=AL!4223!3!198553132056!!!g!337207751279!

3 hours ago, KingRex said:

I do find it intriguing the way they minimize any difference in length between the four pairs of wires in the jacket.

That's the key for impedance & delay matching.

5 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

No reason, of course, but I ended up buying the REVConnect tool kit anyway.  

You can have an Ethernet patch cable building and wine tasting party with your friends ;) 

How easy do you find it to use?

5 minutes ago, jabbr said:

You can have an Ethernet patch cable building and wine tasting party with your friends ;) 

I think that I prefer to do this in private.....................................

5 minutes ago, jabbr said:

How easy do you find it to use?

Not too difficult but it is a learning process.  I cannot do it as fast as on the YouTube videos or the demo at NAB. 

Kal Rubinson