IGNORED

a WIndows based Software renderer than I can use with Kinsky control point

I have files served by MinimServer, and controlled by the Kinsky control point. I need to simulate a media renderer than I can control with the Kinsky, i.e I want a software renderer/player for Windows, could somebody please advice, I do need this rather urgently.

Ive seen mediamonkey and vlc mentiioned and have installed both but I cannot see a way for either to be show up in Kinsky

I only need the renderer/player I'm not looking to replace either MinimServer or Kinsky control point

thanks for any help Paul

Indie software developer of Jaikoz and SongKong taggers and the opensrc tagging library jaudiotagger

Hi Paul

The excellent free foobar2000 audio file player can be turned into a standard UPnP/DLNA renderer with the addition of the foo_UPnP plugin component. The foobar2000 foo_UPnP renderer uses the same audio output engine as its built-in audio file player, allowing you to configure the Windows audio output device for it and any choice of DSP settings as required.

foobar2000 for Windows

foo_UPnP - UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Server, Control Point

Since Linn's Kinsky is a control point for both standard UPnP/DLNA renderers and OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) renderers, an alternative would be to install OpenHome.org's own OpenHome renderer, OpenHome Player:

OpenHome Player for PC

OpenHome renderer emulation can be provided via the BubbleUPnP Server application, by using its Create OpenHome renderer function for any standard UPnP/DLNA renderer, such as foobar2000 foo_UPnP renderer:

BubbleUPnP Server - Creating OpenHome renderers

Incidentally, what device are you running the Kinsky controller on and what is your reason for using it in the first place?

It has a reputation for being buggy with many standard UPnP/DLNA renderers (eg pause, track position, next/prev track, volume control may not work properly or not at all). Also, although it doesn't have those problems with OpenHome renderers, it lacks support of the full range of OpenHome functions. In fact Linn very rarely bug fix/update Kinsky and advise you to use the alternative well supported Linn Kazoo for controlling OpenHome renderers instead.

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

HI, Since posting I just downloaded Foobar2000 and it worked as is displaying as a Kinsky room, but in Kinsky its says 'foobar2000 Renderer' is there a way to change this, it would be very helpful to me if there is.

Kinsky was recommended as a good choice for MInimServer, and I find it much easier to use than an attempt to use Kazoo. Im testing some MinimSever/Kinsky functionality and I need it work as a standalone solution on PC without requiring anything else.

Indie software developer of Jaikoz and SongKong taggers and the opensrc tagging library jaudiotagger

9 minutes ago, paultaylor said:

but in Kinsky its says 'foobar2000 Renderer' is there a way to change this, it would be very helpful to me if there is.

Why?  That is simply the name of the renderer.

9 minutes ago, paultaylor said:

Kinsky was recommended as a good choice for MInimServer, and I find it much easier to use than an attempt to use Kazoo

Linn no longer supports Kinsky and asks that folks use Kazoo, which requires OpenHome, an easy solution by simply installing BubbleServer (a sort of plug-in for extended functionality, not a server) somewhere on your net.  I'd do that instead of frustrating yourself with an unsupported product.

I know that is not what you asked, but wanted to infuse my annoying $.02.  :)

3 minutes ago, paultaylor said:

HI, Since posting I just downloaded Foobar2000 and it worked as is displaying as a Kinsky room, but in Kinsky its says 'foobar2000 Renderer' is there a way to change this, it would be very helpful to me if there is.

Kinsky was recommended as a good choice for MInimServer, and I find it much easier to use than an attempt to use Kazoo. Im testing some MinimSever/Kinsky functionality and I need it work as a standalone solution on PC without requiring anything else.

Yes, you can change the foobar2000 renderer's default network name in fb2k's configuration/preferences:

Tools>UPnP>Server>Basic Settings

Change the bottom (Media Renderer) Network name, not the top (Media Server) Network name. Also, since you are not using foo_UPnP's UPnP/DLNA media server, you may as well switch it off by pressing the (top) Stop Server button.

Perhaps the problems you found with Linn Kazoo is that it only supports OpenHome renderers, ie, it doesn't support standard UPnP/DLNA renderers.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

13 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

Perhaps the problems you found with Linn Kazoo is that it only supports OpenHome renderers, ie, it doesn't support standard UPnP/DLNA renderers.

I mentioned that earlier, but OH is easily added, and comes with much more functionality like OH's ability to save playlists on the control point, not the renderer (so if you switch cp's the music you chose is still there).