Jump to content
Computer Audiophile
Superdad

ISO REGEN launch thread! (product web page up; photos, etc.)

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Cornan   
4 minutes ago, magnuska said:

Ah to bad, 

 

Thanks Micael!

 

You are welcome Magnus! Do not make that put you off the Entreq grounding boxes though. They are an amazing piece of kit that just have to be heard to be appreciated. ;)

 

Micael

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bit01   

I have been using the USB Regen with a Teac UD-501. I have a laptop plugged into the Regen which is powered by a TP 7/2. I have two other source components I use plugged into the SPDIF inputs, so I have to switch inputs every now and then. All worked well with the Regen.

 

I replaced it with the ISO Regen (ISO engaged) . It works fine however when I switch to another input and return to USB, the DAC does NOT go into 'USB ready' mode, just displays USB. It will not 'lock' (or handshake?) with the ISO Regen until I cycle power to either of them. Not a deal breaker, only a royal PITA. This did not happen with the Regen.

 

Is there something that can be done -firmware upgrade or the like? Any help is most appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bit01   
8 hours ago, bit01 said:

I have been using the USB Regen with a Teac UD-501. I have a laptop plugged into the Regen which is powered by a TP 7/2. I have two other source components I use plugged into the SPDIF inputs, so I have to switch inputs every now and then. All worked well with the Regen.

 

I replaced it with the ISO Regen (ISO engaged) . It works fine however when I switch to another input and return to USB, the DAC does NOT go into 'USB ready' mode, just displays USB. It will not 'lock' (or handshake?) with the ISO Regen until I cycle power to either of them. Not a deal breaker, only a royal PITA. This did not happen with the Regen.

 

Is there something that can be done -firmware upgrade or the like? Any help is most appreciated.

 

The bold text above should have read 'until I cycle power to the ISO Regen'. On/off of the DAC does not change anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cornan   
28 minutes ago, bit01 said:

 

The bold text above should have read 'until I cycle power to the ISO Regen'. On/off of the DAC does not change anything.

 

If you are running Windows 10 you can try to right click on the windows logo and choose "Device Manager" and follow this instruction on ALL of your USB Root hubs  https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-xp-tips/prevent-windows-from-powering-off-usb-device/

No guarantee that it will solve your issue, but there is a good chance it could if the power saving option is ticked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bit01   
2 hours ago, Cornan said:

 

If you are running Windows 10 you can try to right click on the windows logo and choose "Device Manager" and follow this instruction on ALL of your USB Root hubs  https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-xp-tips/prevent-windows-from-powering-off-usb-device/

No guarantee that it will solve your issue, but there is a good chance it could if the power saving option is ticked.

Hi Cornan,

Thank you for the suggestion-did it but it does not help this situation.

The controller reports 'unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed)' until I cycle the IR power

B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cornan   
3 minutes ago, bit01 said:

Hi Cornan,

Thank you for the suggestion-did it but it does not help this situation.

The controller reports 'unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed)' until I cycle the IR power

B.

 

Have you tried to uninstall/install the USB driver? 

It could ofcouse also be a signal ground issue. You could try to do Alex C´s trick to squeeze (lightly) a stranded wire in the USB output port together with the USB cable (touching the outer shell of the plug and inner shell of the socket) and attach the other end of the cable to any signal or chassi ground on your DAC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frojo   

Hi,

i am not sure if my experience is relevant, but in my Mac mini - Iso Regen/LPs1 - Chord Hugo set up, any interruption in the chain causes the Hugo to be not recognised by the Mac. Not a scenario i experienced with the amber regen. I have tried re- powering the Iso and or the hugo and eventually having to re-start the mac. I have found that i can bypass that process by switching the 'Iso' switch off and on again once the hugo is recognised......ymmv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bit01   

 Hi Cornan, Frojo

 

Gnd wire does not fix this - I found that just plug-unplug USB chord also works. I will be doing this in the meantime.

 

Thank you both for your thoughts and input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cornan   
6 minutes ago, bit01 said:

 Hi Cornan, Frojo

 

Gnd wire does not fix this - I found that just plug-unplug USB chord also works. I will be doing this in the meantime.

 

Thank you both for your thoughts and input.

 

You´re welcome bit01! :) I hope you´ll get it sorted out.

BTW. You can try to connect a  GND wire between the pc and the DAC as well if you want. It might work better if the ISO Regen somehow disturbes the GND (handskake) signal between the pc and the DAC. If your DAC require 5v as well for handshake you´ll might need to do the same way as I do, ie. have a USB injection into the ISO Regen and turn the ISO off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bit01   

I moved the ISO Regen to another setup that uses the mR and a different DAC (NAIM DAC-V1). There are no switching issues (mentioned above)  in this setup,  and IR benefits are more apparent. I moved the LPS-1 to the IR.

 

PC/PPA V2 USB (LPS powered)>Anker USB/Ethernet>mR (LPS powered)>USPCB>IR (LPS-1 powered)>USPCB>DAC

 

This setup has improved the perceived bass response (detail & extension). It is also apparent that there is much less digital edge/hardness/glare remaining if any. Good & thanks to Uptone/Sonore!

 

ATB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×