IGNORED

ISO REGEN launch thread! (product web page up; photos, etc.)

15 hours ago, tboooe said:

Yes, I alleviated the heat issue by not using the ipower anymore!  I did not detect a change in sound quality due to the heat however.  I only stopped using the ipower purely out of being paranoid and conservative.  My intention is to purchase an LPS-1 so I can set it at 7vdc which should help with the heat.  

Screw it, I decided to go for the LPS-1 as well. 

For those of you who travel fairly often, does the LPS-1 and the ISO Regen fit inside a Pelican case 1060? The official dimensions for the LPS-1 are ever so slightly larger. Any other carrying case for the LPS-1 + IR combo worth recommending?

Are the supercapacitor batteries a problem at airport securities etc? I know the max limit is 99wh, but just making sure.

1 hour ago, Ciukas said:

does the LPS-1 and the ISO Regen fit inside a Pelican case 1060?

Most likly not, as you noted yourself ?. But I think you will notice when the items arrive, that a protective case is really not needed. Just wrap some t-shirt around. 

And remeber to pack the Meanwell PS also ?

(It's huge an heavy).....

And remeber you could always use the nice case it's shipped with. 

As as far as I know, an unpowered LPS do not act as a battery, hence nothing to worry about.

You will notice this when you pull the plug from the Meanwell PS, what will happen to the connected devices ?

9 hours ago, Ciukas said:

Are the supercapacitor batteries a problem at airport securities etc? I know the max limit is 99wh, but just making sure.

When the feeder supply is unplugged or turned off the supercaps are specifically discharged. After a a few seconds there is almost no charge left in them. There is about 70 mv  across the whole string after this. This is an extremely small amount of charge left in the caps. That comes out to about 0.09 watt seconds. There are 3600 watt seconds in a watt hour, so that is 0.000025 watt hour residual charge. I think it is safe to say that is well below 99 watt hour.

John S.

On 7/9/2017 at 5:39 PM, kennyb123 said:

Thanks for the quick reply Alex.  I will try the experiment you suggested and report back.

HI, could you please advise if you ever got this working OK?

I had the same problem (audio stopping when closing light switches - using the IR), so sold the IR - but may like to give it a try again.

I am not sure I am keen to the idea of introducing extra grounds into my current system however.

Many thanks...

@Superdad I received my ISOREGEN from week ago and the sound came as expected phenomenal but I had a problem since yesterday, in fact i lost my connection to my DAC with inconsistent time sometimes i can run my music for about 20 min and my DAC lost the connection sometimes DAC lost connection after 5 min, I thought I had a problem with USPCB, since I have another spare USPCB I tried other one but without any success.

I thought maybe I have a problem with ASIO program,so I decided to connect my laptop to DAC without ISOREGEN and here it's, my DAC didn't lost connection for a single time. 

Alex I hope you can advise me for what shall I do with my issue. 

14 minutes ago, sadekkhalifa said:

Alex I hope you can advise me for what shall I do with my issue. 

Hi Sadek:

Have you tried putting the red switch in the up ('ON') position?  That is likely to take care of the problem and would point to other grounding issues in your system.

If that does not work, then please contact me directly and we can arrange for an exchange.

Thanks,

ALEX

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

That is likely to take care of the problem and would point to other grounding issues in your system.

Alex, I'm wondering whether potential ISO REGEN GI issues are the same as Mike Moffat describes in the following post regarding the isolation implemented in the EITR.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/34808-schiit-eitr/?do=findComment&comment=705898

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

28 minutes ago, rickca said:

Alex, I'm wondering whether potential ISO REGEN GI issues are the same as Mike Moffat describes in the following post regarding the isolation implemented in the EITR.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/34808-schiit-eitr/?do=findComment&comment=705898

Yup.  That's why we put a switch on the ISO REGEN.   But remember, the GI is only about 20% of the overall "goodness" of our device.  Anyone who has one can flip the switch (the up--ON--position defeats the isolation) and hear what is lost.  And then remove the unit entirely and what much more is lost.

On 8/10/2017 at 4:32 PM, motberg said:

HI, could you please advise if you ever got this working OK?

I had the same problem (audio stopping when closing light switches - using the IR), so sold the IR - but may like to give it a try again.

I am not sure I am keen to the idea of introducing extra grounds into my current system however.

Many thanks...

I've not yet given Alex's recommendation a try.  I mean to do so soon.  I'll be sure to report back.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Until I get a better power supply I want to try supplying power (to the IR) using LiFePo4 batteries connected in series.  Assuming there is minimal current required to provide the handshake to my DAC, what would be the typical current drawn by the IR?

Thanks

18 hours ago, tims said:

Until I get a better power supply I want to try supplying power (to the IR) using LiFePo4 batteries connected in series.  Assuming there is minimal current required to provide the handshake to my DAC, what would be the typical current drawn by the IR?

If not called upon to supply 5VBUS power to a DAC, the ISO REGEN itself draws 100mA (0.1A) from the external power supply for the downstream side.  

The ISO REGEN also draws 20mA from the computer USB cable--to indirectly power the upstream side of the Silanna isolator chip.

(I say indirectly because even on the "dirty" upstream side we us an ultra-low-noise LT3042 regulator to produce 3.3V for the upstream side, even though the isolator has available its own internal 3.3V reg--which we do not use.)

A typical DAC that just needs VBUS for handshake adds less than 10mA of draw.

Of course there are DACs that do draw a lot of VBUS current.  I use the iFi micro iDSD DAC/headphone amp on my desk as a torture test since it will draw close to and above the USB 2.0 500mA max spec.  

But the ISO REGEN--with its 1 amp TI TPS7A4770 regulator dedicated to providing clean 5VBUS power--does not mind at all.

Hope that helps.

--Alex C.

On 8/11/2017 at 8:41 PM, Superdad said:

Hi Sadek:

Have you tried putting the red switch in the up ('ON') position?  That is likely to take care of the problem and would point to other grounding issues in your system.

If that does not work, then please contact me directly and we can arrange for an exchange.

Thanks,

ALEX

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your help, you are right i have grounding issue but i don't know if you have any advice on how to defeat this issue?

5 minutes ago, sadekkhalifa said:

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your help, you are right i have grounding issue but i don't know if you have any advice on how to defeat this issue?

Basically you just need to make sure that some component(s) on the downstream side of the ISO REGEN are grounded to mains ground.  Typically your DAC.  

Beyond that we would need to know the full layout and connections of your system to give you further advice.

On 8/18/2017 at 8:13 PM, Superdad said:

Basically you just need to make sure that some component(s) on the downstream side of the ISO REGEN are grounded to mains ground.  Typically your DAC.  

Beyond that we would need to know the full layout and connections of your system to give you further advice.

Alex, here's my layout (Laptop>USB Cable>IR+LPS-1>USPCB>DAC/AMP)

Also I'm using this multiple socket to power all my stuff which already connected to the wall socket. 

IMG_0176.thumb.PNG.2a7d63113e4a170c011ed71d724f5f16.PNG

Eventually, i don't know how to ground my DAC?

Thank you for your patience.

20 hours ago, sadekkhalifa said:

McIntosh MHA100

Also, doesn't matter the type of DAC?

Do you have a preamp attached to the McIntosh headphone amp, or do connections stop with it?  

I notice that the MHA100 has the double-square logo on the back, meaning that it is double-insulated.  That seems odd for a mains-attached component of that sort--since it has a 3-prong AC inlet.  But it could be that they "float" some portion of the unit--and that is just the sort of thing that can cause the problem you experience when the ISO REGEN has its galvanic isolation enabled (and which goes away when you defeat it).

Secondly, general reports on the web indicate that McIntosh has a very spotty record with the USB inputs of their DAC.  I personally have spoke to two people who had to send their units (not the MHA100) back to McIntosh for USB board replacement.  I am not saying that your MHA100 is faulty, but I would suggest that you experiment a bit and also try with another DAC.

Best,

--Alex C.

On 05.08.2017 at 8:28 AM, Superdad said:

I'm sorry, I do not fully understand your question. 

Are you saying that you have a 1A power supply (based on the TI TPS regulator) and you want to know if that will be enough current to power the ISO REGEN?

if that is your question, then the answer is yes.  

Please set the voltage in the range of 5-8 volts (you can get away with 9V if your DAC does not draw much from the USB 5VBUS).

Part of why your question is confusing is because we happen to also use the TI TOS7A4700 in both the UltraCap LPS-1 and as the regulator for 5VBUS output in the ISO REGEN.  (The other 5 regulators in the ISO REGEN are the 200mA ultra-ultra-low-noise Linear Tech. LT3042--all set at 3.3V.)

Read more  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you.:)

Hooked on Your recommendation ti4700-7v-1A and compared with my old power supply on the basis of the lt1083.Yes You are right the difference is huge .First of all increased by an order analogous,microtelnet .ISO REGEN is an excellent product but he needs a better PSU for disclosure laid a good result.Who does not understand this only hurts himself!!!

My system: Audio computer-based Snakeoil with linear supply>PPA v2+power supply for ti4700>, IS0 REGEN+power supply for ti4700>Teac NT503>power amplifier>

The best Linux system for music!!! :xhttps://www.snakeoil-os.net/   :x

On 8/21/2017 at 9:12 PM, Superdad said:

Do you have a preamp attached to the McIntosh headphone amp, or do connections stop with it?  

I notice that the MHA100 has the double-square logo on the back, meaning that it is double-insulated.  That seems odd for a mains-attached component of that sort--since it has a 3-prong AC inlet.  But it could be that they "float" some portion of the unit--and that is just the sort of thing that can cause the problem you experience when the ISO REGEN has its galvanic isolation enabled (and which goes away when you defeat it).

Secondly, general reports on the web indicate that McIntosh has a very spotty record with the USB inputs of their DAC.  I personally have spoke to two people who had to send their units (not the MHA100) back to McIntosh for USB board replacement.  I am not saying that your MHA100 is faulty, but I would suggest that you experiment a bit and also try with another DAC.

Best,

--Alex C.

Thank you Alex for your support as usual.

In fact i didn't use preamp as you can see obviously in hereunder image.

I figure out that when i'm switching on and off my room light the problem came out.

IMG_9365.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2017 at 7:13 PM, Superdad said:

Hi!

I have also issues with connection is dropped , not as often as 20 min laps but a couple of times a day.  I use mine between soTm sms 200 ultra and TX- USB ultra. This would typically help by reboot Eunhasu software or unplug the DC powercable to ISO Regen.

As it could be due to a grounding problem here too, I wonder If an external grounding box ala Entreq would to the trick?

My DAc is built inside the Vinnie Rossie Lio integrated amp

Regards Magnus

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

10 hours ago, Cornan said:

Not really! Entreq grounding boxes is pure magic, but they do not replace or add a grounding point. They improve already existing 0v references, grounds or shields.

Ah to bad, 

Thanks Micael!

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage