IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - Drive Mounter 101

vortecjr

Thanks. Still not working when I go that route. Guess this just isn't meant to be. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Gelajoy said:

Dumb question.  I have music on multiple external portable hard drives.  How do I "mount" two or more to the Sonicorbiter I5 at the same time?  Thx Jeff

You can't ?

People have done, but according to Jesus, you will lose the drive if reboot or upgrade. 

You may test out the available space on the supplied 120 GB SSB. 

R1200CL...Thank you for your help and I hope you're not correct.  

If your answer is correct, then it makes the multiple USB 3.0 ports on the SonicOrbiter I5 kinda useless.  Even a general purpose MS 10 laptop can hang multiple hard drives at the same time.

Does the answer change any if I set-up the Roon core on the SonicOrbiter?

Thanks 

3 hours ago, Gelajoy said:

If your answer is correct, then it makes the multiple USB 3.0 ports on the SonicOrbiter I5 kinda useless.

I think, actually quite sure, Andrew (or Jesus), said on Roon forum, (could be CA), that those USB was for future upgrades. What ever that means. 

Try and search, and you should find that post. Try Roon first. 

And remenber that i5 is a very nice mashine ?

Poobably the best, and for sure the one most versatile. 

• 1 month later...

Jesus, hi. As I upgraded both the hardware and the software on my microrendu , I decided to give the smb mount another try.  Unfortunately, whether I try to address the NAS on the Drive Mounter setup screen using either the IP address  (192.168.0.150) or network address (\\medianas\music), the same thing happens: I get the message in Drive Mounter that "Drive Mounter reconfigured successfully," but the NAS actually is not mounted.

I note that the \storage_readonly\nas folder updates to the current date and time on each occasion that I update the Drive Mounter configuration.  However, that folder always is empty.  Is there a reason why that empty folder updates its timestamp but not its contents?

The NAS remains readily seen as an smb device by my mobile devices over wifi, so I am certain that smb is working fine on the NAS.  i also can explore the microrendu file structure using Windows Explorer or other file managers, so it also is visible to the network  Finally, I also know that these settings worked perfectly when I was at software version 2.3. I am at a loss to explain any of this. 

It isn't a huge deal because I have LMS and DLNA apps available with which to stream music, but I want the stuff to work as intended and I like using a couple of the Android MPD apps.  Is there anything that you can suggest as an explanation of why my NAS won't mount under circumstances where it mounts just fine for others?  Thanks for any help you can offer. 

EDIT:  Jesus, don't worry about responding immediately.  I just learned that I need to be away from home for awhile starting on Monday, so I won't have access to my system while away.  I'll revisit this when I return, probably in a few weeks.  Sorry for the firedrill. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

• 2 months later...

as suggested in the comments of this review I tried to use MPD but can not get it to work...is there a useful how-to somewhere?

@vortecjr  MPOD and MPAD are no longer available in the app store so maybe you could point to some other apps for IOS devices?

I tried Soundirok and MPDjs for MPD and Audionet for DLNA. Audionet does see the files on the NAS through Minimserver but the files will not play. (I think Minimserver is no longer supported on the newest Synology firmware). Soundirok and MPDjs do see the SRse but not the files on my SMB share...I did install drive mounter and pointed it to my SMB share but to no avail...please help tia

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I experience the similar problems with UltraRendu like Mike Rubin.

I've installed Drive Mounter. Then added smb name of my server (\\192.168.0.105\music). And yes, I can browse folder URENDU\storage_readonly\nas from computer and I see shared music files here. But I can not access control of MPD from any of my devices (MPDroid, Cantata, GMPC, etc). Of corse in the mpd clients settings i set uRendu address (192.168.0.137). The same thing happens in ympd. What kind of problem can it be? Any idea?

P.S. uPnP from miniDLNA works OK.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

17 hours ago, carmagff said:

Hello,

I experience the similar problems with UltraRendu like Mike Rubin.

I've installed Drive Mounter. Then added smb name of my server (\\192.168.0.105\music). And yes, I can browse folder URENDU\storage_readonly\nas from computer and I see shared music files here. But I can not access control of MPD from any of my devices (MPDroid, Cantata, GMPC, etc). Of corse in the mpd clients settings i set uRendu address (192.168.0.137). The same thing happens in ympd. What kind of problem can it be? Any idea?

P.S. uPnP from miniDLNA works OK.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Delete the mount. Update the unit and reboot. Insert the mount again. 

On 10/28/2017 at 6:08 AM, m3lraaHnevetS said:

as suggested in the comments of this review I tried to use MPD but can not get it to work...is there a useful how-to somewhere?

@vortecjr  MPOD and MPAD are no longer available in the app store so maybe you could point to some other apps for IOS devices?

I tried Soundirok and MPDjs for MPD and Audionet for DLNA. Audionet does see the files on the NAS through Minimserver but the files will not play. (I think Minimserver is no longer supported on the newest Synology firmware). Soundirok and MPDjs do see the SRse but not the files on my SMB share...I did install drive mounter and pointed it to my SMB share but to no avail...please help tia

I have had the same or similar issues trying to mount drives for use with MPD applications, and have raised this issue in the Drive Mounter app subforum.  

With 2.3,  I had no issues with the share showing up as mounted and MPD apps addressing it. Since I upgraded to the 2.5 OS using the SD card that Sonore shipped, however, the Drive Mounter app simply does not work.  

When I try to use Drive Mounter now, it updates the date stamp for the directory where the mapped drive should appear, but the directory itself remains empty.  It's not a critical loss for me because I usually use a Jriver app over DLNA, anyway, but the only variable in my own case is the OS upgrade.  

Jesus said in response to my subforum posts that he can't reproduce the problem, so I suspect that the takeaway is "Drive Mounter will work in 2.5  or it won't." As using DLNA rather than MPD isn't painful, I don't think this is a big issue, but there might not be a way to use an application requiring a mounted drive on your system.

7 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

I have had the same or similar issues trying to mount drives for use with MPD applications...

Try to do the following:

1. Switch to any other output mode except MPD (e.g. Roon);

2. Reboot

3. Remove MPD from installed applications;

4. Reboot

5. Install MPD from available applications

6. Reboot

7. Update MPD database and check whether everything is OK

14 minutes ago, paulinus said:

Try to do the following:

1. Switch to any other output mode except MPD (e.g. Roon);

2. Reboot

3. Remove MPD from installed applications;

4. Reboot

5. Install MPD from available applications

6. Reboot

7. Update MPD database and check whether everything is OK

Paulinus, thanks, but I have done those things, in that order, literally dozens of times since I updated.  I will do so again now, but, having been down that path so many times before, I am not terribly optimistic.  The MPD never even discovers the database data because the NAS drive has no data in it.  Maybe this time will turn out differently.

And it did not turn out differently.  Microrendu still works fine as a DLNA rendererer, but is useless for MPD without a successful mount of the data drive. I still cannot accomplish that.

11 minutes ago, paulinus said:

Mike, I'm sorry that my hints were not helpful!

Probably make sense to post here screenshots with mRendu MPD/SMB settings?

Thanks, Paulinus. I will post pics with pointers both to the ip address and network path, as well as the timestamp on the NAS directory for each.   As Jesus and I have discussed this before in the Drive Mounter subforum, I don't know that it can add much.  Couldn't hurt, though, right? :)

Here are screenshots. I didn't replicate them with the NAS address rather than its network identification, but I can do so if anyone thinks it would be useful. These show the DLNA app settings, the drive mounter settings, the microrendu file directory (showing that the microrendu NAS directory filestamp updated when I saved the configuration right before taking the screenshots) and the microrendu  directory for the NAS directory showing that it is empty. I also add a shot showing that the NAS can be reached by SMB. Any thoughts? Screenshot_20171110-112559.thumb.png.0f28775399a393398b2462fa41a05e87.pngScreenshot_20171110-113151.thumb.png.887f7a055957286884f70307f8272440.pngScreenshot_20171110-113202.thumb.png.fefbbcbe94c9d42d7cb367586a1c5f50.pngScreenshot_20171110-114056.thumb.png.f03bb27edc723e078387cfb6452b6ae3.png20171110_113003.thumb.png.c190dfe2a973017be95ee6a34c52917b.png

I don't think this is a Drive Mount issue. If you look at the images from carmagff the mount is shown correctly in his file browser. What might need correction is where he tells Catana to look for the mount. This is really a question for Catana support.  

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I don't think this is a Drive Mount issue. If you look at the images from carmagff the mount is shown correctly in his file browser. What might need correction is where he tells Catana to look for the mount. This is really a question for Catana support.  

Not sure whether you meant this for me, Jesus, or just for carmagff, but mine isn't a case of the control app not finding the files mapped to the microrendu.  Instead, it's one of the files not mapping at all.  That is true whether I insert my NAS' IP address (192.168.0.10) or its network folder name (\\medianas\music). 

For future SE revisions, one thing that might be helpful would be to have a "browse" function in the SMB Share Name field.  That way, if the drive showed up on the network, you could just select it.  Then, it wouid show up in the file directory or not, but there wouldn't be a question of pointing at the wrong place. 

One thing I haven't pointed out in my previous posts because I didn't think it would be likely to matter:  When I delete Drive Mounter, reboot, add back Drive Mounter, reboot, and go to set up Drive Mounter, it always retains the previous filled-in entries in the fields on the setup screen. Thus, with data already populating the fields that need completion after reinstallation, I delete that information and add back (the same) information manually. 

It accordingly appears that the re-installations are not entirely clean ones.  Perhaps there is something vestigial that gets in the way of the many, many, many reinstallations that I have attempted in the past few months.  (I usually try to reinstall the Drive Mounter and set it up again whenever there has been an OS update.)

That said, the Network Folder shown in my screenshot is where I pointed when I was using the Drive Mounter successfully in 2.3.  There were no changes in my network in the ten minutes that it took to change over from 2.3 to 2.5 using the SD card.   Also, YMPD fails to find files in the NAS directory of localhost below the root.

If you can't replicate the issue, though, I understand that we can't resolve it.  Plus, as I said, the DLNA function works well and is an acceptable substitute.  I just raised the issue again because it appeared that others might be having issues mounting drives as well. 

Maybe @vortecjr could make a little how-to video showing how to make a clean start and install, mount, etc everything needed to get MPD working with Android and iOS controls?

I did get DLNA working and the SQ is nowhere near HQP NAA.... so the only reason for me to put any effort in MPD would be to know MPD’s SQ could be better than DLNA... my question is: is there a sound quality difference between DLNA and MPD? Or are they the same thing?

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8