IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - Drive Mounter 101

vortecjr

This thread is intended to be a supplement to the Sonore Rendu series user manuals. The manuals contain quick start information that can be viewed here:

Sonicorbiter Rendu Series - User Manuals

The Drive Mounter App is used to mount locally attached USB drives (Sonicorbiter SE only). This is useful for playing back files directly with the unit. It can be used in combination with MPD or Logitech Media Server.

The following image shows the correct file path to use for the Mount Point. Also, I have selected the larger 7.3G partition as this is the main storage area on the USB drive.

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 3.11.37 PM.png

The Drive Mounter App is also used to mount SMB shares on all units. This is useful for playing back files directly with the unit. It can be used in combination with MPD or Logitech Media Server. The following is an example of how to properly mount a Synology share via the SMB mount feature.

Some tips:

1. SMB Share name needs to include the IP address of the Synology NAS. You can also add the specific folder to mount from the Synology NAS. Below you will see that I have added the music folder to the path so only the music share is mounted. This helps speed up scanning of the content because only music is scanned in this folder. BTW if your router changes the Synology's IP address you will need to update it.

2. The SMB User Name needs to be added if your Synology NAS has an admin name and password configuration to access it's shared folders. If you have an admin name and password configuration to access it's shared folders enter the admin name.

3. The SMB Password needs to be added if your Synology NAS has an admin name and password configuration to access it's shared folders. If you have an admin name and password configuration to access it's shared folders enter the password.

4. The Mount point is always /music/flac regardless of what kind of files are in the folder being mounted.

Just press Save Changes to complete the SMB mount.

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 3.13.11 PM.png

You can check the USB local mount and SMB network mount in Windows Explore under Networks and on OS X in Finder. Below is an image my Synology SMD mount as seen in Finder.

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 3.15.23 PM.png

• 1 month later...
This thread is intended to be a supplement to the Sonore Sonicorbiter SE user manual. The manual contains quick start information that can be viewed here: SONORE Sonicorbiter SE - User Manual

The Drive Mounter App is used to mount locally attached USB drives. This is useful for playing back files directly with the unit. It can be used in combination with MPD or Logitech Media Server.

The following image show the correct file patch to use for the Mount Point. Also, I have selected the larger 7.3G partition as this is the main storage area on the USB drive.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23814[/ATTACH]

The following is an example of how to properly mount a Synology share via the SMB mount feature.

Some tips:

1. SMB Share name needs to include the IP address of the Synology NAS. You can also add the specific folder to mount from the Synology NAS. Below you will see that I have added the music folder to the path so only the music share is mounted. This helps speed up scanning of the content because only music is scanned in this folder. BTW if your router changes the Synology's IP address you will need to update it.

2. SMB User Name needs to be added if your Synology NAS has an admin name and password configuration to access it's shared folders. If you have a admin name and password configuration to access it's shared folders enter the admin name here.

3. SMB Password needs to be added if your Synology NAS has an admin name and password configuration to access it's shared folders. If you have a admin name and password configuration to access it's shared folders enter the password here.

4. The Mount point is always /music/flac regardless of what kind of files are in the folder being mounted.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24509[/ATTACH]

You can check the USB local mount and SMB network mount in Windows Explore under Networks and on OS X in Finder. Below is an image my Synology SMD mount as seen in Finder.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24510[/ATTACH]

Once this is done, you can use MPD applications as control points: MPDroid on Android, or Cantata on Windows ?

No need to use UPNP any more ?

• 1 month later...

hi

i just got one of these for my good friend and next door neighbor to get him into streaming music.

went over and installed it in 10 minutes with a drive mounted 2 TB hdd, then installed LMS and he was streaming.

only problem left is that he needs to access the usb drive from his windows 7 pc on the home network, so he can start ripping his CDs to the hdd.

so far, we can see the usb drive (under /storage/) but with read-only permissions so he can't add music easily.

changing permissions from inside windows fails

any suggestions on how to make the usb drive writable from his windows 7 machine? is this a windows issue or do the linux permissions need to be changed?

thanks

p.s. by the way, i've been running a sms-100 for years now and am looking forward to the microRendu.

hi

i just got one of these for my good friend and next door neighbor to get him into streaming music.

went over and installed it in 10 minutes with a drive mounted 2 TB hdd, then installed LMS and he was streaming.

only problem left is that he needs to access the usb drive from his windows 7 pc on the home network, so he can start ripping his CDs to the hdd.

so far, we can see the usb drive (under /storage/) but with read-only permissions so he can't add music easily.

changing permissions from inside windows fails

any suggestions on how to make the usb drive writable from his windows 7 machine? is this a windows issue or do the linux permissions need to be changed?

thanks

p.s. by the way, i've been running a sms-100 for years now and am looking forward to the microRendu.

It's not setup to write to the mounted drive. It's only setup for read only so you can see that the mount worked. Power down the unit, remove the drive and update it directly via the Windows machine.

It's not setup to write to the mounted drive. It's only setup for read only so you can see that the mount worked. Power down the unit, remove the drive and update it directly via the Windows machine.

thanks for the quick reply. i understand, and this is what i suggested to him yesterday.

however, he is a computer-phobe type and was not enamored of the suggestion to connect/disconnect.

as a non-sophisticated user, he just wanted it 'to work'

maybe consider this option for the future? it will help the 'plug and play' friendliness for folks like my friend.

you're almost there, just following the simple instructions that come with the sonicorbitorSE but updating the music easily is the missing piece for the completely unsophisticated user and a minimalist implementation of usb hdd and SE is otherwise perfect for the non-audiophile.

cheers

• 6 months later...

Please allow me to resuscitate this thread for a question. I believe I successfully mounted the music folder on my NAS to my microrendu using SMB because I can navigate to the music folders in the microrendu "flac" directory. When I try to use an MPD application on Android (MPD Remote) or ios (MPad) to play music, however, the former hangs with a message to the effect of "the server is building its database" and the latter hangs with a message "loading data." I do have a ton of music (about 2.5tb), so I don't expect immediate loading or compilation of a collection that size, but I don't see evidence of progress in either case. (I have uninstalled and reinstalled both apps at least once each after hours of hanging.)

Is this expected behavior upon initial setup and use, do you think? Or would I better off just running upnp/dlna? Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Please allow me to resuscitate this thread for a question. I believe I successfully mounted the music folder on my NAS to my microrendu using SMB because I can navigate to the music folders in the microrendu "flac" directory. When I try to use an MPD application on Android (MPD Remote) or ios (MPad) to play music, however, the former hangs with a message to the effect of "the server is building its database" and the latter hangs with a message "loading data." I do have a ton of music (about 2.5tb), so I don't expect immediate loading or compilation of a collection that size, but I don't see evidence of progress in either case. (I have uninstalled and reinstalled both apps at least once each after hours of hanging.)

Is this expected behavior upon initial setup and use, do you think? Or would I better off just running upnp/dlna? Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Just got an error message on the Android app, to this effect: the library could not load because the server's max_output_buffer_size is too small and that the mpd.conf needs to be edited to increase the buffer's size. Is there a file on the microrendu that can be edited to comparable effect by someone who knows almost nothing about Linux?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Just got an error message on the Android app, to this effect: the library could not load because the server's max_output_buffer_size is too small and that the mpd.conf needs to be edited to increase the buffer's size. Is there a file on the microrendu that can be edited to comparable effect by someone who knows almost nothing about Linux?

Send a support email so we can have a look.

Jesus, thank you for the offer. I was going to post just now that I deleted MPD Remote and tried another Android app (MPDroid) instead. The latter seemed to load my data quickly and completely (although I need to do some deeper drilling before I am positive about that). If I have one working mobile app, I don't have issues. I will let you know if it turns out there are problems with this app, as well.

• 2 months later...

Iam trying to use the mount system of the microrendu to access my smb share, but it doesnt seem to work properly.

I know my smb share are working since iam using them on other machines.

It seem that the web interface doesnt support capital letters. My Smb mount path have some capitals in it, and when i save the configuration, all the capitals letters are replaced with normal ones...

Does anyone have seen a similar bug ?

Updated the mrendu tonight. As my mpd app often fails to find my mounted NAS share after I reboot the mrendu, I have taken routinely to re-running the smb routine in Drive Mounter. That always gave me a "changes saved" message and everything worked fine.

Tonight, after updating, I repeatedly have gotten an error message: "Error 500 Service unavailable, This web service is unavailable." Same message regardless of the device with which I accessed the GUI.

As it happens, I had no issue tonight finding the share with the mpd apps I use. I just wonder what to do if I can't access the files and run run up against the same error message after I reboot at some point.

This thread is intended to be a supplement to the Sonore Sonicorbiter SE and microRendu user manuals. The manuals contains quick start information that can be viewed here:

Sonicorbiter SE - User Manual

microRendu - User Manual

The Drive Mounter App is used to mount locally attached USB drives (Sonicorbiter SE only). This is useful for playing back files directly with the unit. It can be used in combination with MPD or Logitech Media Server.

The following image show the correct file patch to use for the Mount Point. Also, I have selected the larger 7.3G partition as this is the main storage area on the USB drive.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23814[/ATTACH]

The Drive Mounter App is also used to mount SMB shares. This is useful for playing back files directly with the unit. It can be used in combination with MPD or Logitech Media Server. The following is an example of how to properly mount a Synology share via the SMB mount feature.

Some tips:

2. SMB User Name needs to added is your Synology NAS has an admin name and password configuration to access it's shared folders. If you have a admin name and password configuration to access it's shared folders enter the admin name here.

3. SMB Password needs to added is your Synology NAS has an admin name and password configuration to access it's shared folders. If you have a admin name and password configuration to access it's shared folders enter the password here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24509[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24510[/ATTACH]

How about if we want to mount multiple shares? ie using sonictransporter w/ minimserver?

• 3 months later...

Well, the other topic is closed and my question not answered yet ;o)

Here we go again (with some cut and paste, I don't know how to quote across topics):

Is it possible to turn of the "drive service"? I don't know whether it's SMB or something other, but my mR provides some storage_readonly with empty movies, music, and pictures folders.

7 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Just delete it. If you for any reason need it, it will be available under the available apps. 

I just deleted mine, just so you can be sure my advice is valid ?

• On the file level, I can't delete anything, the folder is read only.
  • On the application level, "Squeezelite" is the only application installed. No app left to uninstall.

So I'm back: how can I remove this service?

4 hours ago, andifor said:

Well, the other topic is closed and my question not answered yet ;o)

Here we go again (with some cut and paste, I don't know how to quote across topics):

• On the file level, I can't delete anything, the folder is read only.
  • On the application level, "Squeezelite" is the only application installed. No app left to uninstall.

So I'm back: how can I remove this service?

We still need that feature. However, we can look into some options. 

3 hours ago, andifor said:

OK, just kidding ;o)

Only one app installed, "storage_readonly" still visible:

Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 16.47.54.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 14.04.57.png

He, he, yes, you're indeed funny ?

I'm not a Mac user, but I guess if you understand how this o use that file manager, you just do the actions required. Like delete, or unmapp, or what ever. 

If you deleted Drive Mounter. Unplug power from MicroRendu. And maybe restart your Mac as well. 

Strange you you manage to this a all. 

Also, you may start read the first post, as it seems that Jesus has done some housekeeping ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2017 at 8:16 PM, R1200CL said:

He, he, yes, you're indeed funny ?

I'm not a Mac user, but I guess if you understand how this o use that file manager, you just do the actions required. Like delete, or unmapp, or what ever. 

If you deleted Drive Mounter. Unplug power from MicroRendu. And maybe restart your Mac as well. 

Strange you you manage to this a all. 

Also, you may start read the first post, as it seems that Jesus has done some housekeeping ?

Ups... missed that: I turn my equipment off each day, does not help there (and I don't use my Mac for streaming music, no help turning it off either).

Ugh, I seem to be having Drive Mounter problems again.  I just installed the 2.5 upgrade and, of course, had to reconfigure all my apps upon start up.  I added the Drive Mounter and then tried to add back my NAS in the setup as the drive to be mounted.  It appeared easy enough to do, as I was using the same Samsung tablet as I used to configure this software before and, as I started to fill in the blanks on the SMB configuration page with the NAS name and folder (\\medianas\music), the field autopopulated with the prior entries, as did the fields for name and password.  I clicked on "save changes" and figured I was done.

Unfortunately, my MPD apps -- which also were unchanged -- could not find any files within the file structure of the specified microrendu server, which I keep on a reserved IP address.  Similarly, drilling down within the Workgroup file structure leads me to the "NAS" folder in the microrendu's read-only music directory but there are no files there.  For some reason, the Drive Mounter simply won't mount my NAS and allow its files to be reached on the microrendu.

I have gone through the SMB setup routine several more times, using a PC, two phones, an iPad and the Samsung tablet.  While the configuration appears to be saving, the NAS folder on the microrendu remains empty.  I also have tried to address the NAS by its static IP address (192.168.0.150) rather than network designation and, while that configuration also is saved, it similarly fails to mount the drive. On a long shot, I also deleted my user name and password entries in the setup fields and asked the saved config to log on to the intended share without them, but that did not mount the drive, either.

I know SMB is working because I have two apps on my phones and tablet that allow me to connect to it, in one case by IP address and in the other by network designation.  I don't know why one accesses the NAS in one way and the other accesses it in another, but both seem capable of reaching it, so I think this is a mounting issue rather than an SMB access one.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this.  It was working before, albeit with some quirks, but it always mounted the drive.  Because the fields on the setup screen autopopulated as I typed into them, I am confident that the current setup information is the same as it was before.  Any suggestions about how I'd go about fixing this or recommendations for alternate mounting means?

It's not a huge deal because I have workarounds in Squeezelite and JRiver EOS, the latter of which uses UPnP/DLNA protocols, I believe.  However, before I upgraded, I was using MPD players that seek the mounted drive.  I'd like to go back to what I used most frequently before, because I could access my data even when my computer was off.  (With JRiver EOS, in particular, I need to have the computer on and running JRiver Media Center.)

Thanks for any insights you might have. 

Thanks for the pic, Jesus.  How did address your share on the setup page, i.e., by ip address or by its network name ("\\xxxxx\music")? 

My NAS is a Synology, too, by the way; I would think we would be able to access our drives the same way.

7 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Thanks for the pic, Jesus.  How did address your share on the setup page, i.e., by ip address or by its network name ("\\xxxxx\music")? 

My NAS is a Synology, too, by the way; I would think we would be able to access our drives the same way.

I use the unit's IP address.