Jump to content
vortecjr

Sonicorbiter - Spotify Connect output mode (beta)

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

This thread is intended to be a supplement to the Sonore Rendu series user manuals. The manuals contains quick start information that can be viewed here:

Sonicorbiter Rendu Series - User Manuals

 

 

The application is only supported on Sonicorbiter 2.5 or higher. 

 

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 10.10.00 AM.png

 

You can install the Spotify Connect output mode from Apps / Software Manager.

 

After you install the application go to Settings / Spotify Connect and press Save to initialize your settings and start the application.

 

The Spotify Connect output mode works with Spotify running on your computer (PC or Mac) or on a mobile device. This application is based on librespot - an open source client library for Spotify.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jhwalker said:

 

No - I kind of expected some sort of notification when it was mailed :/ but nothing yet.

 

I received my 2.5 disk today - in a plain white envelope, with the microSD stapled to a piece of paper!  So small, I almost threw it away ;)

 

No problem with the upgrade - just power down the unit, pop out the old card, put in the new one, turn it back on.  So far so good.


A couple of problems, though:

 

  1. HQPlayer > NAA now has continuous crackling / ticking - like playing an LP.  While somewhat charming (for that warm, vinyl-like sound), this didn't happen with the old OS / NAA and needs fixing.
  2. Spotify Connect does not work at all.  Let me restate:  Spotify Connect starts up, Spotify says it's playing to it, but no sound at all - just dead silence.

 

I've restarted the unit several times, made sure I "initialized" Spotify Connect correctly, etc., but no dice.  Hope there'll be a fix for these issues soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jhwalker said:

 

I received my 2.5 disk today - in a plain white envelope, with the microSD stapled to a piece of paper!  So small, I almost threw it away ;)

 

No problem with the upgrade - just power down the unit, pop out the old card, put in the new one, turn it back on.  So far so good.


A couple of problems, though:

 

  1. HQPlayer > NAA now has continuous crackling / ticking - like playing an LP.  While somewhat charming (for that warm, vinyl-like sound), this didn't happen with the old OS / NAA and needs fixing.
  2. Spotify Connect does not work at all.  Let me restate:  Spotify Connect starts up, Spotify says it's playing to it, but no sound at all - just dead silence.

 

I've restarted the unit several times, made sure I "initialized" Spotify Connect correctly, etc., but no dice.  Hope there'll be a fix for these issues soon.

There is no need to restart things several times.

 

In regards to NAA it's hard to help without any useful information. Post your HQ Player settings in this thread so we can have a look:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/26616-sonicorbiter-naa-output-mode/

 

In regards to Spotify. I assume you mean that you pressed Save in Settings / Spotify Connect. No issue there and good move. This initializes the output and activates that output mode. From the Spotify App start playback on your computer to confirm it's playing and has volume. Now click on Connect to a Device and select the unit. This should transfer the audio and you should see a green bar along the bottom. 

 

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 6.31.14 PM.png

Edited by vortecjr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

There is no need to restart things several times.

 

In regards to NAA it's hard to help without any useful information. Post your HQ Player settings in this thread so we can have a look:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/26616-sonicorbiter-naa-output-mode/

 

In regards to Spotify. I assume you mean that you pressed Save in Settings / Spotify Connect. No issue there and good move. This initializes the output and activates that output mode. From the Spotify App start playback on your computer to confirm it's playing and has volume. Now click on Connect to a Device and select the unit. This should transfer the audio and you should see a green bar along the bottom. 

 

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 6.31.14 PM.png

 

Yes, the Spotify app works with local playback, and shows the green bar when I select rendu for output - but no sound at all.  Since Roon Ready and NAA work just fine, I know my DAC is working - not sure what else to check WRT Spotify.

Edited by jhwalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

 

Yes, the Spotify app works with local playback, and shows the green bar when I select rendu for output - but no sound at all.  Since Roon Ready and NAA work just fine, I know my DAC is working - not sure what else to check WRT Spotify.

Start playback in Spotify and connect to the unit. Then go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and see if you have a momentary frequency listed.

 

If not playing you might get something like this:

Playback:
  Status: Stop
  Interface 2
    Altset 1
    Format: S32_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000
    Data packet interval: 125 us

If playing you might get something like this:

Playback:
  Status: Running
    Interface = 2
    Altset = 1
    Packet Size = 72
    Momentary freq = 44109 Hz (0x5.8380)
    Feedback Format = 16.16

If playing check the volume and verify if you have max volume. 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Start playback in Spotify and connect to the unit. Then go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and see if you have a momentary frequency listed.

 

If not playing you might get something like this:


Playback:
  Status: Stop
  Interface 2
    Altset 1
    Format: S32_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000
    Data packet interval: 125 us

If playing you might get something like this:


Playback:
  Status: Running
    Interface = 2
    Altset = 1
    Packet Size = 72
    Momentary freq = 44109 Hz (0x5.8380)
    Feedback Format = 16.16

If playing check the volume and verify if you have max volume. 

  

 

I've gotten it to play twice - out of about 30 different attempts.  It has only ever worked immediately after switching inputs (e.g., from Roon Ready to Spotify Connect), on the first track.  Once you click stop or switch to another track, it will never play again until / unless you switch to another input and back - and only very seldom then.

 

On one of the two tracks that played, I was able to capture this status:

 

access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 5513
buffer_size: 22050

 

Here is when it's not playing:

Status: Unknown (status not available when device is not playing)

In both cases, though, the section above showed Playback status as "Stopped"  ???

 

Rather than clogging up this thread, maybe you and I could work this one offline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jhwalker said:

 

I've gotten it to play twice - out of about 30 different attempts.  It has only ever worked immediately after switching inputs (e.g., from Roon Ready to Spotify Connect), on the first track.  Once you click stop or switch to another track, it will never play again until / unless you switch to another input and back - and only very seldom then.

 

On one of the two tracks that played, I was able to capture this status:

 

access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 5513
buffer_size: 22050

 

Here is when it's not playing:


Status: Unknown (status not available when device is not playing)

In both cases, though, the section above showed Playback status as "Stopped"  ???

 

Rather than clogging up this thread, maybe you and I could work this one offline.

Can you confirm the DAC you are using? Most all DAC report information on this page. I'll be in contact with you so we can have a closer look.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Can you confirm the DAC you are using? Most all DAC report information on this page. I'll be in contact with you so we can have a closer look.  

 

Sure, it's an LH Labs Pulse with all the "Infinity" upgrades.

 

Here's what it looks like when playing via Roon Ready (which is rock solid):

LH Labs Geek Pulse X Infinity 2V0 at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Status: Running
    Interface = 1
    Altset = 2
    Packet Size = 392
    Momentary freq = 352797 Hz (0x2c.1980)
    Feedback Format = 16.16
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: DSD_U32_BE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 352800 (352800/1)
period_size: 17640
buffer_size: 35280

I'll try to get some stats on the Sonic Orbiter when playing, if I can get it going again.

 

Edited by vortecjr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jhwalker said:

 

Sure, it's an LH Labs Pulse with all the "Infinity" upgrades.

 

Here's what it looks like when playing via Roon Ready (which is rock solid):


LH Labs Geek Pulse X Infinity 2V0 at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Status: Running
    Interface = 1
    Altset = 2
    Packet Size = 392
    Momentary freq = 352797 Hz (0x2c.1980)
    Feedback Format = 16.16

access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: DSD_U32_BE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 352800 (352800/1)
period_size: 17640
buffer_size: 35280

I'll try to get some stats on the Sonic Orbiter when playing, if I can get it going again.

 

This is worrying. I have the same dac

Edited by vortecjr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jhwalker said:

 

Sure, it's an LH Labs Pulse with all the "Infinity" upgrades.

 

Here's what it looks like when playing via Roon Ready (which is rock solid):


LH Labs Geek Pulse X Infinity 2V0 at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Status: Running
    Interface = 1
    Altset = 2
    Packet Size = 392
    Momentary freq = 352797 Hz (0x2c.1980)
    Feedback Format = 16.16
  access: RW_INTERLEAVED

format: DSD_U32_BE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 352800 (352800/1)
period_size: 17640
buffer_size: 35280

I'll try to get some stats on the Sonic Orbiter when playing, if I can get it going again.

 

 

Here is the output when Spotify Connect is working:

 

LH Labs Geek Pulse X Infinity 2V0 at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Status: Running
    Interface = 1
    Altset = 1
    Packet Size = 72
    Momentary freq = 44100 Hz (0x5.8330)
    Feedback Format = 16.16
access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 5513
buffer_size: 22050
Edited by vortecjr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bunno77 said:

This is worrying. I have the same dac

He says it's working fine today without any difference in the system...go figure. The information he provided looks okay to me so I see no reason for concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vortecjr said:

He says it's working fine today without any difference in the system...go figure. The information he provided looks okay to me so I see no reason for concern.

 

Yep - totally weird.  Only change between last night and today is . . . I went to sleep and got up  LOL

 

But it seems very solid today - have been switching around between all the different outputs during the day, and Spotify seems just as reliable as any of the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Installation of the 2.5 card was fine.  Well, at least when I put on my reading glasses and reinserted the card properly.  At first, there was no sound with Spotify Connect, but I figured out that the volume on my iPad was off and controlled Spotify volume.  So all's good, except for one thing.  The microRendu Spotify Connect doesn't do gapless.  Spotify Connect on my QX-5 does do gapless, but the sound quality is better through the mR.  Is there a way for you to add gapless playback?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spotify Connect stopped working a few days ago.  Also, the microRendu seems to have a new IP address every day.  2.3 never did this.  Have any others experienced this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ultrarunner said:

Spotify Connect stopped working a few days ago.  Also, the microRendu seems to have a new IP address every day.  2.3 never did this.  Have any others experienced this?

 

I've noted both of these - I set a fixed IP address on my router to address the first issue.  

 

As for the second, Spotify Connect has not been stable for me at all - every once in a while it will work, but most of the time, no; i.e., it shows up as a "target" in the Spotify app, but when you select it, it says "connecting" for 5-10 seconds before simply returning to the existing output :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

 

I've noted both of these - I set a fixed IP address on my router to address the first issue.  

 

As for the second, Spotify Connect has not been stable for me at all - every once in a while it will work, but most of the time, no; i.e., it shows up as a "target" in the Spotify app, but when you select it, it says "connecting" for 5-10 seconds before simply returning to the existing output :/

Hopefully Jesus or Andrew is working on the Spotify Connect issue.  I have no idea of how to set a fixed IP address for a particular device on the network.  I have the long ethernet run to the listening room (from an Airport Extreme), connected to a Cisco switch and then to the microRendu.  Maybe they can fix that problem in the next version of 2.5 too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ultrarunner said:

I have no idea of how to set a fixed IP address for a particular device on the network.  I have the long ethernet run to the listening room (from an Airport Extreme), connected to a Cisco switch and then to the microRendu.  Maybe they can fix that problem in the next version of 2.5 too.

 

Will this help ?

https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/how_to_configure_a_static_dhcp_reservation_with_airport_extreme

 

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/553

 

and if needed:

http://sonicorbiter.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too am no longer able to use the Spotify Connect app. Even when I select Spotify Connect in My SonicOrbiter, the Microrendu is either not listed as one of my devices in Spotify or Microrendu is listed but when I click on it, it will not highlight as all of the other devices will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×