IGNORED

One box solution...when?

LIO looks like a cool product for a small room or with horns/high efficiency speakers...I'm just looking for a well designed DAC, one that can make great music and drive an amp without 2 to 4 additional boxes attached to address various and sundry design weaknesses.

Well, since I'm at it, just read our fearless leader's review of a $7500 DAC that has a tube output stage based upon the company's well-regarded preamps...and yet has no volume control???  Need a separate preamp, like another $7500 to have a consistent path from DAC to the amp to attenuate volume...seems to me, a volume control is merited in a $7500 DAC...but that's just me.   Never mind DSD capabilities.

Tone with Soul

2 hours ago, 57gold said:

LIO looks like a cool product for a small room or with horns/high efficiency speakers...I'm just looking for a well designed DAC, one that can make great music and drive an amp without 2 to 4 additional boxes attached to address various and sundry design weaknesses.

Well, since I'm at it, just read our fearless leader's review of a $7500 DAC that has a tube output stage based upon the company's well-regarded preamps...and yet has no volume control???  Need a separate preamp, like another $7500 to have a consistent path from DAC to the amp to attenuate volume...seems to me, a volume control is merited in a $7500 DAC...but that's just me.   Never mind DSD capabilities.

LIO can be run as "just" a DAC and PRE, so would be a great candidate to drive an amp without additional boxes.

BTW, Vinnie has already said that during the summer he will introduce an upgraded DAC module that includes glavanic isolation, and according to him even better SQ.  He's also coming out with a more powerful amp module, if that is what interests you. 

I don't have any way of auditioning a LIO, which is why it really isn't a candidate for me, but if I lived in the US I'd be looking at it as a one box or one of two box solution. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Now I haven't used one, but what about the Benchmark DAC2.  Streaming of music is about all it lacks.  Not bad for $1995. Effectively immune to jitter according to Benchmark. 

https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-dac2-hgc-digital-to-analog-audio-converter

http://www.stereophile.com/content/benchmark-dac2-hgc-da-processorheadphone-amplifier#g3tgIsLFFWIg5oIw.97

Summing up the Benchmark DAC2 HGC's measured performance is easy: It's simply superb.—John Atkinson
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/benchmark-dac2-hgc-da-processorheadphone-amplifier-measurements#8FttdQ7Y5FleDIIs.99

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Hi All,

I also favour one box solution which makes things easier and a good designed unit with all the functionality yields good (or even better) results (the lack of interconnects between separate units is a big plus).
I just connect the system to my active speakers!
I used Zodiac Gold DAC for a few years as a one box solution with very satisfying sound.

Recently I purchased a Lindemann Musicbook 20 DSD with a full analog volume control, usb, DSD 256 and a streamer; a real box of tricks with great sound too.
It's been enjoying great reviews and I'm not at all surprised as I'm really impressed with it. It can upsample or play native DSD and hi-res PCM files, the remote app supports TIDAL streaming too.
Some of the models also have CD option.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/lindemann5/1.html

Happy listening to all.
Mev

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

7 hours ago, wgscott said:

I still have yet to see any compelling evidence or measurements that demonstrate any of these gizmos does anything helpful or positive.

I think you are right that any DAC manufactured that would require such things is (a) defective and (b) incompetently marketed (why make your product's performance depend upon the end-user's or reviewer's choice of wires?)

Good point.  I have taken it as an act of faith in the large number of folks who have chimed in, including what appears to be credible manufacturers of some of these "boxes" (otherwise known as financially interested parties), and their detailed explanations of why they work/what design maladies they address...that they actually do work.  Have been using software that has made big improvements, like A+ and HQPlayer and PM, which I learned about here, so I assumed that the boxes made real improvement, too.

Use FW to hook up my Mac Mini to a DAC, which does not have an input for a replacement power supply...so other than possibly replacing the Mini's switching power supply with a linear one, I have been able to avoid the "buy another box or three" syndrome.  But my DAC is long in the tooth, been replaced by a new model and FW is all but gone (a real shame as it was meant to carry music).

The Lindemann sounds interesting...a maker that I am unfamiliar with.

Tone with Soul

11 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Good point.  I have taken it as an act of faith in the large number of folks who have chimed in, including what appears to be credible manufacturers of some of these "boxes" (otherwise known as financially interested parties), and their detailed explanations of why they work/what design maladies they address

Don't for forget the act of faith where Alex (owner of uptone) said at WBF forum he would blind test their own regen and when Amir offered to fly out to him he up and disappeared. 

6 minutes ago, plissken said:

Get an Ethernet streamer. They come @ all price points. Then you can just not worry about that horrible USB interface. 

Thought those were for TIDAL and other such streaming services?  Have a ripped CD collection of like 2,500 titles and pick up a couple of CD's a month when I learn of something new that I want to hear. Have enough monthly charges for TV, phones, access to a couple of guitar lesson sites...so I've resisted and guessed that the stuff I would want would not be on one of the streaming services, anyways.

7 minutes ago, plissken said:

Don't for forget the act of faith where Alex (owner of uptone) said at WBF forum he would blind test their own regen and when Amir offered to fly out to him he up and disappeared. 

Missed that challenge...but not surprised.  Have read elsewhere that USB was designed for mice, keyboards and the like...not data like music or video files...so I'm believing that uptone is addressing real issues.

The other kind of humorous thought that runs through my mind is that several of the "audiophiles" I have met spent more time obsessing on music related equipment than the music and more than one I have met have had very expensive gear that did not sound particularly good as set up in their rooms...they would have a few boxes in front of their $10K DAC, for sure.

Tone with Soul

34 minutes ago, plissken said:

Can you provide the link to this post?  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

49 minutes ago, plissken said:

Get an Ethernet streamer. They come @ all price points. Then you can just not worry about that horrible USB interface. 

There's a lot to be said for isolating  the file server from the renderer.  IMHO the remaining "thingmabobs" all are about dealing with power supply interaction and separates component to component interaction... something that a well executed single box would have absolute control over, assuming the MOBO design was top notch. I've seen a few where the renderer and DAC are separate sections in same chassis, would like to see more where the DAC and renderer modules were "pluggable" for upgrade over time as advancements are made vs "forklift upgrade"

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

33 minutes ago, 57gold said:

The other kind of humorous thought that runs through my mind is that several of the "audiophiles" I have met spent more time obsessing on music related equipment than the music and more than one I have met have had very expensive gear that did not sound particularly good as set up in their rooms.

Sounds like my friend Dave. A very nice fellow, but must have $15-20K invested in his rig. He has an entire closet filled with NAS equipment, microRendu system, high end amplification, and big B&W speakers, which are shoved into corners behind a sofa in his living room, aimed straight out. When I suggested that he move them away from the walls, he sheepishly admitted that he is constrained by WAF.

2 minutes ago, wwaldmanfan said:

Sounds like my friend Dave. A very nice fellow, but must have $15-20K invested in his rig. He has an entire closet filled with NAS equipment, microRendu system, high end amplification, and big B&W speakers, which are shoved into corners behind a sofa in his living room, aimed straight out. When I suggested that he move them away from the walls, he sheepishly admitted that he is constrained by WAF.

I have a friend that has $15,000 in speakers, $7K in electronics and 100% befuddled how my $4500 DIY system bests. 

When someone makes the claim that their budget DIY beats a high-end system it's a lie as a rule. It's also possible audio memory is playing tricks on them. In this case it seems that both parties agree to it so audio memory is less likely.

As usual, no details or sonic evaluation is offered.