IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

12 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Interesting. The preludes were my first encounter with Shostakovich ever, took me decades before I went much further in his repertoire, and recently start to like it more and more. 

[...]

To refresh my memories of 24 preludes after your comments yesterday, I was listening recordings of Nikolaeva for Hyperion late at night. No doubt you know it was originally written for Nikolaeva, dedicated to her and she practically 'owned' it. Long time ago I had her early recordings for Melodiya and I believe my bad feelings about the cycle was based on those. The sound quality was just terrible and readings oscillated between bleak and dull. Nikolaeva's later version for Hyperion is much easier, imo.

I am listening Jarrett's ECM recording now. It is nice. Resembles in parts some of his own solo concerts too. Would you agree?

It is difficult to compare 24 preludes with other Shostakovich works. I believe they were a kind of meditations on Bach's WTC, which was extremely rarely if ever performed in USSR to that moment, and was effectively unknown. Preludes were written "into the table" and had nothing of propaganda weight as his symphonies.

Ashkenazy is another touchstone in the Shostakovich op 87 preludes & fugues.  Ashkenazy is more varied and dramatic.  Jarrett often is playful, which is an unusual perspective.

(I mention the opus number because Shostakovich also wrote a set of 24 preludes, opus 34, without fugues.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

@AnotherSpin Thanks for your response. I'm so intrigued by the fact that you started your music education with classical because I can't really imagine what the evolution of my musical taste might have looked like if I had experienced similar situation in my childhood (I liked popular music as a child, then became interested in rock, jazz and finally classical). Maybe I wouldn't have become interested in rock or jazz at all cause I would have find these genres too simple, not sophisticated (musically) enough.. Or maybe I simply wouldn't have been able to understand classical music and to find any pleasure in listening to it  (it's not the easiest genre after all) and would've started to hate music in general.. And maybe I would've been able to enjoy rock, jazz and other genres after having discovered them and would have simply added them to my music menu. I can't really know..

How was it in your case if I may ask? And BTW are there many people here who started their music adventure with classical? Are you guys able to enjoy e.g. Hendirix, Led Zeppelin or Ravi Shankar every now and then? What's your perception of music like that?

(I'm sorry for the late response but I've had quite little spare time recently, for the same reason Handel sonatas have to wait)

7 hours ago, Musicophile said:

[...]

My evolution in taste started with the big romantics, Brahms and Bruckner, I moved backwards in time towards Beethoven and Mozart over the years, and only later discovered my passion for baroque, especially Bach, who today is my supreme ruler musically. 

[...]

It is interesting. Bruckner was "closed" for me for a long time even after I was already deep into almost everything what is in my very short listening list now. Brahms, or Richard Strauss, or Mahler, for example (I pick those not very far in time and place). Then one day it's just happened. Something switched on in me, and...YES! I do not know, what is the reason, why Bruckner was difficult to accept initially. The only guess, he first came to me either in very old archival recordings with archaic SQ, or in current performances which were not okay then and now, such as Rozhdestvensky cycle.

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

It is interesting. Bruckner was "closed" for me for a long time even after I was already deep into almost everything what is in my very short listening list now. Brahms, or Richard Strauss, or Mahler, for example (I pick those not very far in time and place). Then one day it's just happened. Something switched on in me, and...YES! I do not know, what is the reason, why Bruckner was difficult to accept initially. The only guess, he first came to me either in very old archival recordings with archaic SQ, or in current performances which were not okay then and now, such as Rozhdestvensky cycle.

For me it was Strauss. To this day, I never really got him. Just not my cup of tea. Maybe I should revisit at some point based on all the recommendations above.  

And while I do have quite a bit of Mahler, I don’t listen to him very often. 

3 hours ago, Musicophile said:

For me it was Strauss. To this day, I never really got him. Just not my cup of tea. Maybe I should revisit at some point based on all the recommendations above.  

And while I do have quite a bit of Mahler, I don’t listen to him very often. 

I was impressed with R.Strauss more than really liked his music before I started listening Rosenkavalier and Vier letzte Lieder. These two pieces are touching something inside me as nothing else. His other operas are in the top of my list as well.

My best days with Mahler are probably behind, and my apprehension of his music changed, but I still keep him not far away...)

On 10/16/2018 at 1:41 AM, Musicophile said:

Musical Fidelity and Mission Cyrus, luckily a decent start

Not bad (and much better than my first separates)! I will not mention my very first gear - a radio cassette player, they are called boomboxes now but it didn't (re)produce much 'boom' - its speaker was a purist, one way, probably 3 or 4 inches design x-D

My evolution in taste started with the big romantics, Brahms and Bruckner, I moved backwards in time towards Beethoven and Mozart over the years, and only later discovered my passion for baroque, especially Bach, who today is my supreme ruler musically.  

Backwards in time.. that's interesting. Some search for simplicity, source, missing links.. or something else?

I discovered Jazz on my own more or less by chance at my local record store around 17 or 18 (in the form of Keith Jarrett and Oscar Peterson, my first two jazz albums)

My first encounter with Miles' 'Bitches Brew' at 15 or 16 didn't make me a jazz fan (objectively not the best album to start your jazz adventure with). Needed a couple more years.

This is Guantanamo torture to me, and should be illegal and banned

:D The reason I got interested in jazz was I got  bored with verse-chorus-verse..-guitar solo-verse.. scheme (as you probably know I like some '3 chords music', OTOH I can't understand people who listen only to the music of their youth or what's IMO even worse to one genre only). When it happened I started listening to all the music from my collection that went beyond this scheme (eg Zappa guitar solos albums) and then one day I heard Charlie Parker in my friend's car. That can be compared to a first little stone that starts an avalanche, and to Argerich playing Rach '3' years later as far as my interest in classical music is regarded (I did listen to some classical pieces before that but my interest in the genre almost exploded after hearing this recording). I started to order sometimes dozens of jazz/jazz-rock albums in a month.

The only “pop” music that I still go back to on a regular basis is the early prog rock especially from Genesis in the Peter Gabriel phase.

So one could say that even rock you listen to is called 'symphonic' :)

On 10/16/2018 at 9:28 AM, AnotherSpin said:

Beatles were first

The same here. My first 'serious' music fascination-obsession since I was around 9 I think.

then Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin.

I remember the first time I heard 'Child in Time' on the radio. I was just floored. I ditched a couple of days later to copy their album from a friend of a friend of mine. He didn't come x-D I still think LZ was the best rock band from the early 70s.

Then came ELP, Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Zappa, Jethro Tull.

Of course. I was a huge Pink Floyd fan! I was sure back then that better music has not been and will never be created on planet Earth x-D BTW I remember exactly the moment I discovered that you may not like some music while hearing it for the first time but you may need a second or third listening session to appreciate it. Happened when I was 12 - this was Yes album. Things got complicated :)

Composers, performers, genres or styles were growing in me simultaneously, feeding and nourishing each other.

:)

My cousin's husband is some 10 years older than me. He is is still very much into rock and some pop (not commercial or mainstream stuff) and is constantly on the lookout for new bands.

He sometimes sends me his discoveries but I have slowly lost interest; still enjoy some of the bands that I was listening my late teens and twenties, things like Radiohead, early REM, Tom Waits, Nick Drake, Tindersticks, late Beatles, David Bowie...

But now that the boys have grown double digits I have been introducing them to some of the other bands of the old days like The Police, Supertramp, The Smiths, The Cure, Lloyd Cole & The Commotions, The Pogues, Suzanne Vega, Bob Dylan, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Simon & Garfunkel... I usually play these in the car.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

The eldest's taste is unfortunately very much influenced of his friends who listen to awful rubbish teenage pop... I bought him a nice set of closed-back headphones. ?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

8 hours ago, semente said:

The eldest's taste is unfortunately very much influenced of his friends who listen to awful rubbish teenage pop... I bought him a nice set of closed-back headphones. ?

Influence is a great thing in developing musical tastes. I was heavily influenced by certain things. Such as music parts in films I liked. Or well written reviews. Or, I was very happy, several friends much older than me were kind enough to share their tastes, opinions, and priceless jams of personal collections with me. And I was much surprised when some of them told me many years after I influenced their tastes somehow back then.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I like Handel sonatas performed by Richard Egarr/The Academy of Ancient Music (I prefer the solo ones) even more than the ones by Attilio Cremonesi/Arcadia. The technical 'lightness' of the performances and communication between the musicians are IMO superb, they also seem to be well recorded. I like Jarrett's keyboard suites too. Being so different from eg Perahia's performances they probably contain this 'Jarrett factor' I've been fond of (and I'm quite used to) for years. I just realized I actually have never been tempted to name it (the factor) precisely - surely timing nuances being not the least important ingredient of it.

Thanks again, guys!

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I've just found this thread:

Have any other Messiaen's "Quatuor Pour La Fin Du Temps" recordings worth considering been released since 2013, guys? What are your favorite performances of this composition A.D. 2018?

First heard (or read, to be more precise) about Messiaen and his music 40 or more years ago. Did many attempts to listen his pieces, including concerts, organ, large scale and solo. Quatour among them. Bought several LPs back then. No, I can not get the joke, it is behind my ability to catch. I loved strange composers and I am still listening some, like Morton Feldman, for example. May I suggest his Piano and String Quartet? I prefer one from Ives Ensemble over wide-known recording from Kronos Quartet.

12 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I've just found this thread:

Have any other Messiaen's "Quatuor Pour La Fin Du Temps" recordings worth considering been released since 2013, guys? What are your favorite performances of this composition A.D. 2018?

This one got good reviews, and I like the artists, all of them are fantastic individually. Haven’t checked it out yet:  

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8366493--messiaen-quatuor-pour-la-fin-du-temps

12 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

May I suggest his Piano and String Quartet? I prefer one from Ives Ensemble over wide-known recording from Kronos Quartet.

6 hours ago, Musicophile said:

This one got good reviews, and I like the artists, all of them are fantastic individually. Haven’t checked it out yet:  

Thanks guys, I will definitely check out the albums recommended by you. Yesterday I listened to the fragments of two performances of 'Quatuor' and I preferred the one by Gil Shaham, Paul Meyer, Jiang Wang and Myung-Whun Chung. However I think I'd like this composition to sound a little rawer, less smooth and that's probably the only thing I can say about my expectations (based purely on my intuition - I have in fact zero experience with music like that). BTW I really liked a lot the 5th part (I would say quite conventional one) I posted on the 'Song of the Day' thread.

8 hours ago, Musicophile said:

I think it's intense. It's also much (ca 10%!) faster played than the version I mentioned. I like it.

14 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

First heard (or read, to be more precise) about Messiaen and his music 40 or more years ago. Did many attempts to listen his pieces, including concerts, organ, large scale and solo. Quatour among them. Bought several LPs back then. No, I can not get the joke, it is behind my ability to catch.

I heard it for the first time just a couple of years ago. I wasn't able to digest it either. I'm a little sick now (bronchitis) and from time to time I'm I would say in a slightly decadent mood :), maybe it made approaching this piece easier.

A digression. May sound a little crazy to some. I've been listening a lot to birds (!) recently - I live in a green area with lots of trees - and I can say a lot about pet.. err bird sounds. E.g. some of them more or less repeat their 'favorite' phrases and some create completely new phrase each time they 'sing'. At some moment I came to the conclusion that in case of some of birds species (I don't know which ones) astonishingly practically every such a phrase is a finished free jazz theme (yes, it's free jazz that came to my mind). I knew Dave Holland Quartet's album 'Conference of the Birds' inspired by birdsong earlier but I admit I fully understood and appreciated it only recently - due to my birds' music 'listening sessions' :)

Now back to Messiaen. Wiki:

Birdsong fascinated Messiaen from an early age, and in this he found encouragement from his teacher Dukas, who reportedly urged his pupils to "listen to the birds". Messiaen included stylised birdsong in some of his early compositions (including L'abîme d'oiseaux from the Quatuor pour la fin du temps), integrating it into his sound-world by techniques like the modes of limited transposition and chord colouration. His evocations of birdsong became increasingly sophisticated, and with Le réveil des oiseaux this process reached maturity, the whole piece being built from birdsong: in effect it is a dawn chorus for orchestra. The same can be said for "Epode", the five-minute sixth movement of Chronochromie, which is scored for eighteen violins, each one playing a different birdsong. Messiaen notated the bird species with the music in the score (examples 1 and 4). The pieces are not simple transcriptions; even the works with purely bird-inspired titles, such as Catalogue d'oiseaux and Fauvette des jardins, are tone poems evoking the landscape, its colours and atmosphere.

I admit I'm intrigued by his birdsong fascination and going to explore the subject when I find some time.

I also think I will start a new thread - it seems there are some 'animal music' lovers here x-D

(I apologize to @christopher3393 for an obvious theft of his thread idea, hope he will forgive me..)

IMO birds deserve it!