IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

Moser 'Dvorak & Lalo' album was phenomenal the first few listens when it came out.  Over the course of his next two albums I've come to realize the fortuitous pairing with Hrůša was what made it stand out.  You may discover differently, but I don't feel either have recorded anything near as good since. 

Sadly I missed hearing Moser perform in a local church as I learned about the concert an hour beforehand.  Hrůša is just missing out on some larger appointments which have gone to older more accomplished conductors.  If you happen to be near Cleveland I would suggest attending his only planned concerts in the US next season.

9 hours ago, rando said:

Moser 'Dvorak & Lalo' album was phenomenal the first few listens when it came out.  Over the course of his next two albums I've come to realize the fortuitous pairing with Hrůša was what made it stand out.  You may discover differently, but I don't feel either have recorded anything near as good since. 

Sadly I missed hearing Moser perform in a local church as I learned about the concert an hour beforehand.  Hrůša is just missing out on some larger appointments which have gone to older more accomplished conductors.  If you happen to be near Cleveland I would suggest attending his only planned concerts in the US next season.

Thanks for that. Bummer - I was hoping they'd done more together.

I will certainly look out for his ůša concerts!

• 1 month later...
On 19.12.2017 at 6:07 PM, austinpop said:

51fxwZzB8xL._SS500.jpg

Among my favorite Mahler symphonies performances too. Thanks for the other recommendations!

22 hours ago, rando said:

81fCJmzVhRL._SL1500_.jpg 

Like this one too! Will check out the other albums you recommend, thx!

13 hours ago, rando said:

71qfpxlCdTL._SL1500_.jpg  barriere_vol2_basses_reunies.jpeg

Don't know these two, thx a lot!

• 5 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Inspired by @Musicophile 's recent post on The Album otE' thread. Rachmaninov solo piano and your favorite performances, guys.?

I really like Andsnes, but Argerich, Horowitz, and Volodos among others are excellent as well. 

https://musicophilesblog.com/2017/01/26/musicophiles-25-essential-classical-music-albums-part-ii/

4 hours ago, Musicophile said:

And finally, this was my very first Rachmaninov solo album, and I still like it today. Beate Berthold isn't very well known but she does a fine job here:

Indeed I personally have never heard of her. Will check out the album, thanks!

6 hours ago, Musicophile said:

O

Oops, didn't read this correctly. I thought you referred to my Martha Argerich post playing concerto 3, but I assume you referred to this post instead:

71h99rCoS5L._SL1200_.jpg

So indeed, this one is great. Daniel Trifonov's recent album is also very good, with the Chopin and  the Corelli variations being solo (I particularly like the Corelli).

Cvr-00028947949701.jpg

Sudbin does a great overview of the solo works, including sonata no. 2

4438910-origpic-21899c.jpg

Alexandre Kantorow gives a very good performance of sonata no. 1 here:

5001356-origpic-4edb56.jpg_0_0_100_100_1

And finally, this was my very first Rachmaninov solo album, and I still like it today. Beate Berthold isn't very well known but she does a fine job here:

41ePC2zClrL._SX355_.jpg

This was my first one:

41rBur86kcL.jpg

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

• 3 months later...