IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

Lovely work gents, this thread has that perfect community feel. Just nice people helping each other. Getting to be a rare thing these days.

I stared down a microscope for years smelling of flux .

Small tips for soldering wires. 

1. Before removing the sleeving when stripping off the end. Twist the sleeving clockwise with the wire direction. Pull twist for tight wires.  Keeps the end wires from fraying... like a bird cage.

2. Tinning is the term for adding a little solder. Flux removes oxide for a good joint. metal to metal. dont go mad with flux on wire. just a bit. Hold the wire downward. Gravity is your friend. Flick or wipe off excess.

3. tinning a wire you can cause solder to flow far past the sleeving making it stiff. 

Do a 2 mini part tinning on the wire.

Now hold the wires upward.. heat rising is now your  friend. 

Hardly any solder in the iron tip. Hold and move up just to hold the wires together.

3 Solder the hot pin on the connector. Dont hold it on there 2 long.

Use a hair dryer on the connector to heat it up first. Much easier. 

4 place tinned wire into hot pin receptical on on top of solder. add a little flux to wire and pin. Add solder to tip and heat the hot pin receptacle  not the tinned wire and feed into hole.

Some basic tools really help her as you need 3 arms.

Those cheap crocodile clips on an arm with a magnification glass help.

Good metal tweezers. Solder Wick braid.

A smaller tipped iron.

Any help just ask.

Dave?

I study the Canare catalog yesterday. I noticed there exist a G version as well.

4S6G. Oxygen free copper. Probably only a waste of money if you could get one. 

According to John the shielded version should not make a difference. Maybe someone like to try and test ? ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01882K0OC?psc=1

Better than some i have seen for the hobby market.

Tip cleaner is great stuff.

100% Alcohol Isopropyl nice for cleaning up flux. A cheap bottle of methylated spirit also good. 

But just practice on old spare wire for 20 mins first. Its like wallpapering... the first  drops  aren't so great the last few great.

Well ventilated room though soldering.

Wash your hands afterwards..

1 hour ago, Middy said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01882K0OC?psc=1

Better than some i have seen for the hobby market.

Tip cleaner is great stuff.

100% Alcohol Isopropyl nice for cleaning up flux. A cheap bottle of methylated spirit also good. 

But just practice on old spare wire for 20 mins first. Its like wallpapering... the first  drops  aren't so great the last few great.

Well ventilated room though soldering.

Wash your hands afterwards..

Excellent looking tool. Thanks!

Question. I am making IC's with the new Duelund 20ga wire to replace my already nice Belden IC's. These Duelund ICs continue to amaze. I am nearing the end of my ancient roll of silver "Wonder Solder" and am now considering a solder purchase.

Any suggestions? Does silver content help? Do I need rosin core and why? Is cleanup an issue with rosin core? What is a good diameter for general audio DIY?

Thanks!

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Just search silver solder if you want to spend the money. The Quad wire is the star of the show. We have high powered washes to clean flux but its less messy and good practice to remove due to its high acidity. Cored flux is an aid for good soldering. Cotton bud Q-Tip and Alcohol meths ect.. to remove residue.

Dont worry to much even heat shrink is just a little support and looks nice compared to electrical tape as show in th posts. The connector shrouds just cheat and make it look nice as it hides the stripped soldered wires.

The thickness of the solder just helps with flow.control. QFP multi leg ICs fine solder.. No good for a.copper pipe and vise versa.... Easy to feed cored into a hot joint.

Caution though gents if you are soldering onto a pin or joint on a board..make sure you flux both sides of the pcb...

Johns simple CCTV DC connectors should be the first port of call. 

I hope this helps.. Sorry for the big posts..

Dave ?

Hey guys just went to the garage to grab my soldering iron which I have not used in years and it DOA.  Probably better any way since it was a POS.  So now I need some advice on what iron to get?  Of course, I dont want to spend a ton of money on something like a Weller since I solder maybe twice a decade.  Is this one ok?

https://www.amazon.com/Sywon-Soldering-Adjustable-Temperature-Desoldering/dp/B01E1ISGH0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1493386149&sr=8-7&keywords=soldering+iron

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

For what this is no problem..cheap and cheerful

https://www.amazon.com/Sywon-Soldering-Adjustable-Temperature-Desoldering/dp/B01E1ISGH0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1493386149&sr=8-7&keywords=soldering+iron

May be a tip cleaner, solder wick and some flux. 

If you are not using the iron when its on..

Feed some solder on the tip to increase the life. The spade shaped tip makes soldering wires easier than the pointed SMT TIP.

This is just a bit of fun remember from sound advice. Dont go crazy or a diy cable will cost a lot. Why sometimes its more cost effective to get it made by a pro.

But in this hobby i am not sure.... brick laying definitely. ..?

3 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Ordered my 4S6, screw terminal 2.5 dc plugs and some 19mm heatshrink.

Are we assuming that this DIY replaces/exceeds the supplied dc cables from Uptone (LPS1, etc) too?

The improvement I heard last night was after I replaced the cable supplied with the LPS-1 that I used to power my SU-1.  I do not have the nice cable that is sold with the JS-2 though to compare.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

11 minutes ago, Daudio said:

Since I already had a couple of these kind of vises in my shop for modeling work, I found them very handy for clamping RCA and other type connectors very solidly for soldering wires to them. Could also be used to clamp the ends of long, heavy cables to attach connectors. I like that these vises can sit squarely on 4 different sides (orientations) for lots of flexibility of use. Much better for audio use then those 'Third Hand' devices, IMO.

Micromark Toolmakers Vises

Machine squares.jpg

A couple of my small machinest vises

Thanks Duaudio!

I will keep it in mind next time I am planning a soldering project. I have´nt got any laying around, but they should be extremely easy to find! :) However, for me personally the biggest problem was to actually see what/were I was soldering. My greasy reading glasses and my three dollar helping hand was just not sufficient for the job! :D

2 hours ago, mourip said:

Excellent looking tool. Thanks!

Question. I am making IC's with the new Duelund 20ga wire to replace my already nice Belden IC's. These Duelund ICs continue to amaze. I am nearing the end of my ancient roll of silver "Wonder Solder" and am now considering a solder purchase.

Any suggestions? Does silver content help? Do I need rosin core and why? Is cleanup an issue with rosin core? What is a good diameter for general audio DIY?

Thanks!

Mourip,

On solders, Wonder Solder has been my go-to solder since it came out in the 80s (on something like my 7th or 8th roll now just for my DIY projects). Not only did I notice a sonic difference compared to the generic Radio Shack (RIP) stuff, but it was easier to work with and made better joints. 

The latest version is not quite as good from a usability perspective, but better sonically.

I haven't spent much time comparing different solders, but did try the Mundorf Silver/Gold solder several years back. I thought it was a bit better than the Wonder Solder, but much harder to use and making what I considered was a good joint was challenging. I've not tried a recent roll, it may be different today.

I am quite sure that others work as well and suspect the right 'non-audiophile' solder may work as well and sound as good. BUT I don't have as much DIY time as I need already, so I stick with the tried and true and more solder comparisons are not happening soon.

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

8 hours ago, austinpop said:

Thanks, @Superdad and @Michael-Elijah Audio

A little practice and those pictures - many thx again! - did the trick. I made two cables for my 2 LPS-1s in short order.

While testing with a multimeter showed all was good, I connected them with trepidation. No worries - everything worked. My first handmade cables! So proud. 9_9

My setup is in flux at the moment, but I agree with you @tboooe. Definitely more clarity and air, a bigger image, and overall a bit more relaxed.

Here's my face at the moment: :D

Congrats there you go now. Officially joined the DIY gang :)

1 minute ago, mozes said:

Congrats there you go now. Officially joined the DIY gang :)

+1. Way to go Rajiv!

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

7 minutes ago, gstew said:

Mourip,

On solders, Wonder Solder has been my go-to solder since it came out in the 80s (on something like my 7th or 8th roll now just for my DIY projects). Not only did I notice a sonic difference compared to the generic Radio Shack (RIP) stuff, but it was easier to work with and made better joints. 

Greg in Mississippi

Man I looked up Wonder Solder then WBT solder then Cardas solder.  All very expensive compared to the $7 roll I can get from Alpha Fry.  Not sure if its worth it for for this project???

Other components:

32 minutes ago, Cornan said:

My greasy reading glasses and my three dollar helping hand was just not sufficient for the job

The vises are heavier and stronger then those cheap-o 3rd Hands and should work better for you there. To address the 'greasy reading glasses' problem, I'd suggest the Opti-Visor Binocular Magnifier

They provide selectable magnification, decent eye protection, easy to use and adjust, and work over your existing prescription glasses. Not real cheap, but you can find some knock-offs at better prices, if you don't need the quality optics and construction. I recommend them for all fine work, and older eyes  :)

P.S. I have been using WBT Silver Solder for audio projects since the early '80s. Got a small spool from Welborne Labs, back when they were a reputable outfit :(

Still have enough left to handle my foreseeable connection needs. The small extra cost is easily amortized over the decades of improved connections I've made :)

Just ordered some GX16-2 connectors to make some star quad cables from my HD Plex linear power supply to my NAA PC and wireless bridge.  I am going star quad crazy!

Other components:

5 minutes ago, Jud said:

Couple of things:

- Search for Dayton Audio Silver Solder.  As much or more silver content as high priced brand, no lead, just fine to work with.

- Remember that mechanical connections (screw or especially crimp) if secure and done correctly are electrically *better* than solder.  For most electronics projects mechanical connections are impractical, but not this one.

thank you for this.  I found a site that sells solder by the foot!  So I may splurge and buy a few feet of the "good stuff".  I am only using solder instead of mechanical connection in applications where that is not possible (SU-1 internal DC cable for example).  I come from the school of simply twisting or capping wires together and covering with electrical tape so soldering is literally foreign to me!

Other components:

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

I will keep it in mind next time I am planning a soldering project. I have´nt got any laying around, but they should be extremely easy to find

Isn't this you local shop ?

http://www.clasohlson.com/se/Bordsskruvstycke-med-kulled-Stanley/40-7835

And then add this one as well. Magnify 2,25

http://www.clasohlson.com/se/Förstoringslampa-LED/36-1116

And......

https://www.elfadistrelec.no/no/verktoy-maleteknikk/lodding/loddematerialer/loddetrad/c/cat-29216?filter_Category3=Loddematerialer&filter_Category4=Loddetråd&filter_Buyable=1&pageSize=100&q=*