IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

4 minutes ago, agladstone said:

Did you notice an improvement in sound quality when adding this vs a regular Cat 6a cable? (I am currently using Bluejeans Cables Cat 6a). Also, if I order the Ghent ET02, do I only need one/ two from the JSGT shunted Netgear GS105 (I have a Baske Ethernet isolator after Netgear GS105 inbwtween two 1ft long BJC Cat 6a right now, so I would need two short ET02 from Switch). OR, is it best to also get a third  ET02 that goes from my Router to the Netgear GS105 Switch, so the entire Ethernet chain from router to GS105 to baske isolator to Aurender music server is all ET02?? Any thoughts? 

Yes, adding the JSSG made a big difference for the better in my setup. I changed all my ethernet cables at the same time and made them as short as possible. 50cm from TP-Link RE450 to Aqvox switch and 15cm from Aqvox switch to Aries Mini. If you change I would recommend that you cange them all to JSSG. Go for the cheaper plugs (ET01) since I do not think they matter that much.

@agladstone

Use the JSSG Ethernet cable from the GS105 to your endpoint. And og cause JSGT on the GS105. 

You do not have to use such a good Ethernet cable to your GS105, but you will probably sleep better if you do ?

It would be interesting to know it that Baske thing make any difference at all after you have added new Ethernet cables. 

Another thing., how well is that Aurender isolated from leakage ?

Won’t that one also be a possible source , me not knowing type, or if you have USB out of it as well. 

Chord Quetest requires only 1A 5V to operate, therefore LPS-1 should be good to go.

However, we still need to terminate one end with a micro USB connector because of that micro USB power input.

Are the ones from Hirose the only "decent" micro USB connectors out there?

https://www.hirose.com/product/en/products/ZX/

https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/185/ZX_catalog-1066377.pdf#page=8

In addition, it only needs pin #1 for +5V and pin #5 for ground respectively. What are we supposed to do when StarQuad cables have 4 wires?

he7H9Lr.jpg

7 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Chord Quetest requires only 1A 5V to operate, therefore LPS-1 should be good to go.

However, we still need to terminate one end with a micro USB connector because of that micro USB power input.

Are the ones from Hirose the only "decent" micro USB connectors out there?

https://www.hirose.com/product/en/products/ZX/

https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/185/ZX_catalog-1066377.pdf#page=8

In addition, it only needs pin #1 for +5V and pin #5 for ground respectively. What are we supposed to do when StarQuad cables have 4 wires?

he7H9Lr.jpg

A starquad cable consists of 2 wires to each pin (not on ac mains cables which uses 5). Since your USB micro plug only requires 5v & GND it is pretty straight forward. 

On 1/7/2018 at 4:44 PM, R1200CL said:

@agladstone

Use the JSSG Ethernet cable from the GS105 to your endpoint. And og cause JSGT on the GS105. 

You do not have to use such a good Ethernet cable to your GS105, but you will probably sleep better if you do ?

It would be interesting to know it that Baske thing make any difference at all after you have added new Ethernet cables. 

Another thing., how well is that Aurender isolated from leakage ?

Won’t that one also be a possible source , me not knowing type, or if you have USB out of it as well. 

I have the Aurender plugged into a Furman IT20 Power conditioner with a Shunyata Python Digital Power cable (it’s supposed to have built in digital and noise filters in the Power Cable itself?) and the Furman IT20 is plugged into its own isolated direct 20AMp line. Then USB to ISO-Regen powered by LPS-1 then usb into IFI Micro iUSB powered by LPS-1, then usb into Brooklyn DAC. The GS105, cable modem, and Netgear router are all plugged into a power strip, each with JSGT DC cables and that is on a separate direct line, so I THINK the Aurender is not a cause of AC Leakage?? 

16 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Just get one of these DC barrel 5.5mm x 2.1mm to microUSB adapters and use whatever 2.1>2.1 cable you wish.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G6EBGWO

@JohnSwenson

A very warm thank you for providing all this good information. 

I have made three dc cable using canare 4s6 and jssg grounding using your advice. 

Those cable are used between LP-s1 ,sps 500 psu and tx USBultra , dx USsB hd ultra , PCie USB sotm. 

The results are absolutely excellent. Better bass , better top and a wonderful micro and macro dynamic improvement. 

I usually pay a lot of attention to cables , but I never suspect that cables on devices using 7-9 v and less than 1A will make such a difference in sound. 

Music is so much more lively ...

Next step is to try the same build on AC cable using canare 4s11.

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

2 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

@JohnSwenson

A very warm thank you for providing all this good information. 

I have made three dc cable using canare 4s6 and jssg grounding using your advice. 

Those cable are used between LP-s1 ,sps 500 psu and tx USBultra , dx USsB hd ultra , PCie USB sotm. 

The results are absolutely excellent. Better bass , better top and a wonderful micro and macro dynamic improvement. 

I usually pay a lot of attention to cables , but I never suspect that cables on devices using 7-9 v and less than 1A will make such a difference in sound. 

Music is so much more lively ...

Next step is to try the same build on AC cable using canare 4s11.

Sorry if I am late to the game on this..but I thought that if using a starquad cable like the 4S6 for DC applications, that the grounding technique was not necessary??

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

25 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Sorry if I am late to the game on this..but I thought that if using a starquad cable like the 4S6 for DC applications, that the grounding technique was not necessary??

Opposite for me!  Regardless of starquad or parallel construction, my understanding is that BOTH JSSG and JSGT are recommended tho' the latter less so with LPSs.

54 minutes ago, tboooe said:

The two benefits of 4S6 is cable is low inductance and good EMI protection ( magnetic field from nearby cables or else ... ) .

My understanding is that JSSG offer protection for RF ( radio frequency wave of all kinds ... ) .

It is probably not black and white like that .

For small DC use the most important point is probably low inductance .

I did the JSSG since it is very easy to do  and it is a good point to reduce potential noise but i did not compare with and without  .

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

13 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Correct, the primary reason for using starquad in a DC cable is reduction in inductance.

It also helps in reduction of both ingoing and outgoing fields. Note reduction not elimination.

The outgoing fields is something most people have never heard of, but I accidentluy discovered in my testing setup. IF you have some leakage current flowing through a cable (ANY cable), that leakage current radiates a field that can be picked up by other cables. Since leakage current is usually fairly low frequency the shielding usually used on audio cables will not block this. The starquad geometry does reduce the emission of this field.

JSSG adds another layer of reduction. Normal shielding is effective at high frequencies but not low frequencies, the JSSG makes the shield effective at low frequencies as well as high frequencies.

So for a DC cable starquad reduces low frequency pickup and emission, JSSG significantly reduces it even further.

Starquad on its own makes a big improvement, you do not NEED JSSG, but it may give even better results. How much is going to be very system dependent.

John S.

Hi John,

first thing first thanks for your input and your inclination to share your findings with us, I really appreciate it.

To best apply JSSG to starqud DC cable I'd like to ask you what do you think of using a standard "CANARE L-4E6S" Star Quad Microphone Cable as it has the following properties (vs. Speaker Cable CANARE 4S6) :

- Capacitance between conductors: 150 (vs. worse 125);

- Capacitance between conductors to shield: 185 (vs. not shielded);

- 21AWG (vs. better 20AWG);

- Nom.Imped.: 44ohm (vs. not measured);

- ready to use shield for JSSG application (vs. not shielded).

If anyone else has better suggestion I'd like to read your thoughts.

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

This cable has been discussed before. You can do a search. It’s not recommended as a DC cable. 

my bad, I thought I did a search before posting... maybe I did it in the wrong thread...

anyway, I stand corrected, it's a 24AWG microphone cable, considered a 21AWG for the "Effective AWG of combined twin conductors".

I  am getting the sense that 18-20 awg is about where one wants to for DIY starquad.

Other than improved flexibility, any other benefits in using stranded vs solid wire at any given awg? 

Solid would certainly will hold star configuration better than stranded when twisting.

1 hour ago, BigGuy said:

I  am getting the sense that 18-20 awg is about where one wants to for DIY starquad.

Other than improved flexibility, any other benefits in using stranded vs solid wire at any given awg? 

Solid would certainly will hold star configuration better than stranded when twisting.

Since I have'nt tried solid wires for starquad I don't know if it is better if not in that specific configuration? It should certainly hold the starquad better without support.

Recently acquired a Ghent 1m Oyaide 2.1mm/2.5mm terminated Canare 4S6 cable.  

Anyone else find the 2.5mm (red) Oyaide difficult/impossible to fit on pin in DAC?  

Afraid to jam it on Brooklyn+ and break the input.  

Was thinking about using some ProGold CAIG contact stuff to lubricate the pin.

Tone with Soul

41 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Anyone else find the 2.5mm (red) Oyaide difficult/impossible to fit on pin in DAC?  

Just checked both the Brooklyn and + manuals which do not indicate size of barrel connector for external power.

IIRC, it is a 5.5mm/2.1mm, not 5.5mm/2.5mm barrel, but Oyaide sells both.

Do have a 2.1mm barrel on something just for size?

26 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Just checked both the Brooklyn and + manuals which do not indicate size of barrel connector for external power.

1 hour ago, 57gold said:

26 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Brooklyn DAC have 2.5/5.5mm input. Oyiades 2.5/5.5mm plugs have a red tip (black tip= 2.1/5.5mm) and do have a snug fit. Not impossible to squeeze in though. Start by checking that red tip Oyiade is connected to Brooklyn DAC.

The Brooklyn + manual indicates 2.5mm.  The Oyaide plus with red tip is their 2.5mm.

The Oyaide new version (gleaned from previous posts), red tip  just doesn't want to fit on B+ post on DC input.

Cornan, you have forced the Oyaide on your Brooklyn?

EDIT:

Use a drop of CAIG ProGold contact stuff on the pin of a 2.1mm to 2.5mm adapter and lubricated the Oyaide, and the connector, with some pressure, slipped on the Brooklyn.  

Tone with Soul

8 minutes ago, 57gold said:

The Brooklyn + manual indicates 2.5mm.  The Oyaide plus with red tip is their 2.5mm.

The Oyaide new version (gleaned from previous posts), red tip  just doesn't want to fit on B+ post on DC input.

I am not using Oyiade on my Brooklyn DAC. I use screw terminal 2.5/5.5mm with this 3A/LT 3045 single ps.

IMG_6960.thumb.JPG.7814a65b4dab331bdd83822fd0e9d07c.JPG

However, I use Oyiade 2.5/5.5mm (Ghent Canare with JSSG) into my Aries Mini and have tried it into my router and a couple of screw terminal female plugs with same dimensions without issue. They do have a very snug fit, but that is a good thing. Even the screw terminal 2.5/5.5mm needed a little push to plug into the Brooklyn DAC.

14 minutes ago, 57gold said:

EDIT:

Use a drop of CAIG ProGold contact stuff on the pin of a 2.1mm to 2.5mm adapter and lubricated the Oyaide, and the connector, with some pressure, slipped on the Brooklyn.  Thanks Cornan.

Tone with Soul

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for a North America source for 12 gage (2mm) solid core copper wire, preferably Oxygen Free tho' not sure that is necessarily better than garden variety.

Did order some Temco has 12 gage "magnet" wire to play with but wondered if there was a source for something more upscale?!