IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

25 minutes ago, fayerichard said:

OK, but where are the pictures?

Ghent's jssg's look really nice.

I only care about result, but if it looks good then that would be great.

How much are the DC jssg's?

20% more?

Here is how much Ghent quoted me in September when I place my order on the JSSG:

• 1pc 20cm 4mm banana plugs to DC2.1/5.5mm, $32/pc;
  • 1pc 50cm 4mm banana plugs to DC2.5/5.5mm, $34/pc;
  • 1pc 50cm 4mm banana plugs to DC2.1/5.5mm, $34/pc;

🎛️  Audio System  

Good stuff!

So this has to be attached and then soldered directly onto the Audioquest NRG-10 sleeve?

See the picture pointing at the space.

Also, I need to buy the above shield braid tube, to layer it on top of the existing sleeve first?

Then solder the copper wire to THAT braided sleeve.

How to attach the braided sleeve to the existing sleeve so that it floats actually?

20171220_220101.png

20171220_215945.jpg

11 minutes ago, fayerichard said:

Good stuff!

So this has to be attached and then soldered directly onto the Audioquest NRG-10 sleeve?

See the picture pointing at the space.

Also, I need to buy the above shield braid tube, to layer it on top of the existing sleeve first?

Then solder the copper wire to THAT braided sleeve.

How to attach the braided sleeve to the existing sleeve so that it floats actually?

20171220_220101.png

20171220_215945.jpg

Yes, you fit the JSSG on top of that Audioquest cable. The shield braid is usually quite flexible and can fit even over Oyiade plugs (but best to put it on before the DC plugs though). It will flex/squeeze back into position. As long as the shield braid is not touching any metal parts on the plug it is floating. Secure it with electrical tape or shrink wrap on each end so it doesn't slide on the cable and come in contact with the plugs. The more of the cable that is covered with JSSG the better. Just make sure to choose a good size braid and to solder a roughly 24awg wire to each end of the shield braid before you put it on.

🎛️  Audio System  

14 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

is something wrong with the Ghent cables?

No, absolutely nothing wrong and everything right! It’s only that I didn’t know about the JSSG for dc cables before ordering my last one. I do now and can add a sleeve myself but will probably be ugly compared top Ghent doing it. 

My question is, just how much difference on a 12 inch cable will a JSSG make? 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

29 minutes ago, fayerichard said:

Good, thanks! ;)

What does jssg actually stand for?

Does the quality of the jssg wire matter? What about the insulation?

I was thinking of Neotech upocc 24awg with Teflon insulation, which sells for 3 pounds per meter.

JSSG= John Swenson Shield Ground

I think it was @R1200CL that named it.

As I said in an earlier post I havent noticed a difference between copper and tin plated shield braid. I havent tried various other qualities though.

No need to worry anout insulation with JSSG drain wire, but if you want good insulation go for teflon like the Neotech..

🎛️  Audio System  

40 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Cornan, over here tinned plated braid is short for tinned plated copper braid. As such, I would not expect to hear a difference. Tinned plate is likely to prevent corrosion. I like the color better as well.

My system has absorbed 30 to forty feet of this stuff.  Sound quality is at a new high, much more relaxed and natural, but with a concrete-like image.

Thanks, that probably explains why it does'nt sound different. I however very much like the looks of copper braid. The Ghents really looks fabulous IRL. Almost like it glows from within. 

Have you tried the JSSG on ac mains cord yet? All my other cables (DC, Ethernet & USB) have JSSG. Only ac mains cords missing the party (99% starquad ac mains cables though), so I am really curious how it turns out! ? 

I have the very same impressions with JSSG. A great addition that gets even better the more JSSG you add to the chain.

🎛️  Audio System  

6 hours ago, Cornan said:

Difficult to say on only one spot. What I can say is that the more JSSG I add the better it sounds. All my DC cables are 50cm.

And oh, the best size copper braid for a 4S11 Star Quad?

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

16 hours ago, Cornan said:

Nothing wrong with Ghent. He makes great starquad cables with ready made cables from well-known cable manufacturers like Canare and Belden.

And they are not expensive.  That's why I was wondering about all the DIY activity...  maybe is just a desire for a hand-on hobby that does not involve woodworking or old sports cars (??)

BTW, having a loose wire flopping around is liable to get it torn off someday, so I'll let you guys debate wrapping vs. encasement of various sorts...

I DO want to know what JSSG stands for (I know what is IS...)

8 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

My question is, just how much difference on a 12 inch cable will a JSSG make? 

A good question.

Provided that the power supply was a low noise and very low output impedance design , and the device to be powered was well designed with appropriate bypass capacitor(s)at it's input, IMHO,you shouldn't be able to hear any advantage over a similar 12" length of cable cut from a 7.5A redundant mains lead using well fitting DC plugs.

Of course, if you had nearby high powered FM/TV/ Radar transmitters, or close proximity to "dirty" SMPS controllers, it could be a different matter however, if you are trying to squeeze the last smidgin of performance with an already highly revealing system, and you could be tempted to find out.  

This kind of thing should be among the final touches to a well performing system.

N.B.

I am NOT saying that there won't be a marked improvement when using longer power leads using this technology.

As I suggested previously, perhaps a 3 wire lead/star quad using a Kelvin Sensor would also be an advantage when using longer than desirable power lead lengths ?

Voltage drops under high transient loads could also be a problem with longer than desirable lead lengths.

I am surprised however , that so many members would use DC leads that are considerably longer than 1M in length,  in which case their layout really needs improving to get the power source closer to the device(s) to be powered. 

I am also referring here to those who use an additional couple of series low noise regulators in  line with the power leads,without also perhaps considering the use of something like a diecast aluminium case to house them.

(Hopefully, J.S. won't make me eat my words !  :$

At least mine is friendly fire, and HOPEFULLY constructive.)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

On 12/20/2017 at 8:05 AM, Cornan said:

JSSG= John Swenson Shield Ground

I think it was @R1200CL that named it.

Yes, and then R1200CL took it to Ghent Audio in China, who commercialized it--even using John's initials--without ever asking permission or offering some small royalty.

Before he generously shared his shielding therory and technique as it applies to cables in audio systems, we discussed keeping it private for a cable line or sharing it for DIYers.  I'm not keen on being in the cable business (was in the past; might be again in the future), so was fine with his desire to just put it out there.  

But I admit to some chagrin regarding his idea--and his name--being used without permission for profit by an overseas firm.  Live and learn I guess...

5 hours ago, sandyk said:

A good question.

Provided that the power supply was a low noise and very low output impedance design , and the device to be powered was well designed with appropriate bypass capacitor(s)at it's input, IMHO,you shouldn't be able to hear any advantage over a similar 12" length of cable cut from a 7.5A redundant mains lead using well fitting DC plugs.

Of course, if you had nearby high powered FM/TV/ Radar transmitters, or close proximity to "dirty" SMPS controllers, it could be a different matter however, if you are trying to squeeze the last smidgin of performance with an already highly revealing system, and you could be tempted to find out.  

This kind of thing should be among the final touches to a well performing system.

N.B.

I am NOT saying that there won't be a marked improvement when using longer power leads using this technology.

As I suggested previously, perhaps a 3 wire lead using a Kelvin Sensor would also be an advantage when using longer than desirable power lead lengths ?

Voltage drops under high transient loads could also be a problem with longer than desirable lead lengths.

I am surprised however , that so many members would use DC leads that are considerably longer than 1M in length,  in which case their layout really needs improving to get the power source closer to the device(s) to be powered. 

I am also referring here to those who use an additional couple of series low noise regulators in  line with the power leads,without also perhaps considering the use of something like a diecast aluminium case to house them.

(Hopefully, J.S. won't make me eat my words !  :$

At least mine is friendly fire, and HOPEFULLY constructive.)

Here you go Alex, my on going project of LT's

image.thumb.png.65c687b75982e1bfa13a7af02c1e2817.png

image1.jpeg

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

47 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Yes, and the R1200CL took it to Ghent Audio in China, who commercialized it--even using John's initials--without ever asking permission or offering some small royalty.

Before he generously shared his shielding therory and technique as it applies to cables in audio systems, we discussed keeping it private for a cable line or sharing it for DIYers.  I'm not keen on being in the cable business (was in the past; might be again in the future), so was fine with his desire to just put it out there.  

But I admit to some chagrin regarding his idea--and his name--being used without permission for profit by an overseas firm.  Live and learn I guess...

I guess that whenever we ask an outside company to implement changes to one of their own product lines to accommodate suggestions and recent research by John and yourself, that we risk them stealing the idea and using it for profit as they have done here.

They may even decide to try and patent the changes unless you guys already have taken out patents ?

Just look at the number of copycat designs that have suddenly appeared after you guys have done all the hard work and made them well known ! 

In  hindsight, perhaps C.A. members should have sought permission first from Uptone before asking another company to incorporate your findings in their products , or make special products based on them ? I certainly would have done so, as I am grateful for all the information/intellectual property that John and yourself so willingly share, and hope that getting your fingers burned again , will not see an end to this sharing..

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

7 minutes ago, Forehaven said:

Here you go Alex, my on going project of LT's

image.thumb.png.65c687b75982e1bfa13a7af02c1e2817.png

image1.jpeg

I presume that the case is metal, as the photo is a little dark ?

I also assume that you have earthed the case itself, but made sure that all IN and Out sockets "0 volt" sides are isolated from the metalwork ?

1 hour ago, fayerichard said:

Really?

Can you recommend a few - this is the first time I've seen it.

Also, with regards to the draining wire for JSSG on the DC cable - would a higher awg than 24 actually be worthwhile?

Maybe 16, 20, 22awg?

Or would it not have any effect on SQ?

Any input on the awg of the draining wire for JSSG?

24awg is very thin, would 16, 20 or 22 awg make any difference at all?

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

I presume that the case is metal, as the photo is a little dark ?

I also assume that you have earthed the case itself, but made sure that all IN and Out sockets "0 volt" sides are isolated from the metalwork ?

Yes metal.  I will be simply using hot glue to attach boards to metal assuring the inputs and outputs are isolated.  I had not planned on grounding the box itself. 

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.