IGNORED

Measurements and Our ears

I just received a link to this video, and I noticed an interesting statement made in it. The guy says our ears don't work like measurement equipment. He is 100% correct in his statement. Our hearing is not linear. 

This has me thinking more about measurements and how much stock we put in them. 

If for example, our hearing is most sensitive between 2-5 kHz, should we use EQ to bump the other frequencies? Thus, making out ear hear flat frequency response rather than the measurement tools. 

All stuff for conversation. I'm not pushing an agenda.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, semente said:

You've probably read about the BBC (or Gundry) dip:

2wmqfxw.jpg

vintage_BC1_FR_summed.GIF

Spendor BC1 as measured by Troels Gravesen

Excellent !

And... speakers measurements from an anechoic chamber. Very far away of reality !

Even human listening panels for evaluation, where your ears are not participating...

Roch

2 minutes ago, wgscott said:

The problem with this assumption is that the frequency-dependence of the detector (your ears) doesn't mean that your brain will perceive a flat signal as being anything other than flat.  It already does the correction.  

We have similar frequency (color) -dependence with our eyes, but it doesn't follow that you should photoshop your images to compensate.

How can one's ears / brain fill in what is unknown? Perhaps I'm not following you. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

20 minutes ago, wgscott said:

I just had another thought:  Maybe this should be done to correct for individual variations (or hearing impairments).

Back to the original point:

Let's say your eyes detect blue light with 40% efficiency and yellow light with 90% efficiency (I'm making up these numbers, so don't take the details seriously). A good camera should enable you to produce a neutral representation of an outdoor scene.  But if your eyes see yellow light much better than blue light, the photo shouldn't "look" neutral to you, unless your brain is actually doing some sort of internal compensation or correction.

If the information is completely absent (eg UV light), then the brain cannot fill in what is unknown.  

Like in the colorblind humans?

Anyway, to design an speaker (for example) you have to start from an standard and the standards are not so... then they use measurements equipments to try to create the 'perfect' frequency graph.

Roch

1 hour ago, wgscott said:

It already does the correction.

If so, then why, in reverberant rooms, do people evaluating speakers almost uniformly perceive a slightly falling frequency response as flat?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, wgscott said:

If the information is completely absent (eg UV light), then the brain cannot fill in what is unknown.

For UV light, sure.  But let's beware of extending this principle too far (think of optical or auditory illusions - we plainly see or hear what isn't there).

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

My previous BD-Design Orelo speakers (http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=2923.0) had Munson Fletcher curves built in. I never used anything but the flat curve, because all the others sounded unnatural to my ears.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

6 minutes ago, manisandher said:

My previous BD-Design Orelo speakers (http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=2923.0) had Munson Fletcher curves built in. I never used anything but the flat curve, because all the others sounded unnatural to my ears.

Mani.

No wonder they sounded unnatural - "Munson Fletcher" curves are backwards! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher–Munson_curves

8 minutes ago, Jud said:

No wonder they sounded unnatural - "Munson Fletcher" curves are backwards! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher–Munson_curves

They give the correction that you apply. I.e. a reduction between 1-3kHz.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

34 minutes ago, Jud said:

If so, then why, in reverberant rooms, do people evaluating speakers almost uniformly perceive a slightly falling frequency response as flat?

For the same reason applying haze and coloring toward blue is associated with the visual perception of a scene being farther away. Does falling frequency response extend the sound stage back?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

23 minutes ago, manisandher said:

Mani.

The way I see it, whether we listen to live music or recorded music, our perception is always "flat"; that is our reality, how we listen to things.

If we choose to deviate from flat (for whatever reason) we will be skewing reality.

One problem is that microphones and speakers aren't "flat" (though electronics can be reasonably "flat").

Not only that but they are not equally un-"flat" (mics with other mics, speakers with other speakers, mics and speakers), nor the latter compensate for the unevenness of the former...

Another problem comes from mic position - closer mic'ing changes the tonal balance by increasing high frequencies - and then there's the mixing/EQ'ing and the mastering that can make a real mess of the whole thing.

One of the reasons for choosing "flat" in all stages is to avoid skewing as much as possible.

But with a "flat" system we will be at the mercy of the engineers and technicians, which is why tonal controls were invented in the first place.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

23 minutes ago, manisandher said:

They give the correction that you apply. I.e. a reduction between 1-3kHz.

Mani.

Yup.  Was joking - sure you knew that.  :)

Our ear-brain systems are funny old things - frequency response affects perception of distance, reverberation affects perception of frequency response....

5 minutes ago, Jud said:

Our ear-brain systems are funny old things - frequency response affects perception of distance, reverberation affects perception of frequency response....

Although listening room reverberation is time delayed, if I'm not mistaken.

But when you measure room response with continuous pink noise you do get an idea of the frequencies in which the room interferes, if you assume that your speakers are anechoic "flat" or you have a free-field measurement of their response.

Which in turn explains why both anechoic and in-room measurements are important.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

2 hours ago, Jud said:

Yup.  Was joking - sure you knew that.  :)

That was my immediate thought, but the wikipedia link threw me. Anyway, glad you've still got it... your sense of humour that it.

Mani.

3 hours ago, Jud said:

I suspect that is related to the octave to octave nature of hearing.

BTW, sensory systems almost always 'fill-in' things that are not there.  hallucinations, and illusions, are common examples of that.