IGNORED

"Best" way to sell large music CD collection?

I have thousands of music cds (mostly standard issue, but also deluxe versions, limited numbered editions, SACD, MFSL Gold, box sets, etc.). Many have been played only a handful of times. I don't use them - ever - because they are all ripped in lossless to external hard drives. So the cds... they just sit there in a dark closet.

I have started exploring what would be the best way to sell my collection. A quick websearch led to Decluttr - this seems the most painless way - they will buy anything, pay for shipping, and deposit the money in your bank account. However, the prices they offer seem low, particularly for some items. Case in point: I entered the barcode number for the David Bowie, Station to Station 3 Cd deluxe box (bar code 5099964758329)(you can use your phone to scan the barcode and it makes an offer in a couple of seconds). Decluttr will pay me $4.00 for it. Checking the web I see this going for on average around $50 (and even twice that much some places). 

I want to sell things as absolutely quickly as I can (I have a busy life and job), but I don't want to have excessive seller's regret either by selling something for $4 that might sell for $50 (with the tradeoff being significantly more time invested). So I am stuck. Maybe use Decluttr for more regular cds, and even if I only get a buck a piece, I might be happy and will still realize a nice sum quickly? Then spend time screwing around on eBay for the more valuable items?

Anyone been through this? Anyone use Decluttr? Or similar services? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!!!

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

Garage sale season is coming up.  Set-up a Music only sale and advertise, or partner with a neighbor/friend if you don't have a home/garage.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Ahh, the old question of what is your time worth?  Not an easy answer and different for everyone.  Myself, I find pleasure in putting CD's up for sale with my own ebay account, but, I do so when listening to music on my fine system.  It may seem overwhelming, but you will get far more $$ if your willing to do so a little at a time.  Once you get a system down, it will become much easier to make new listings.  Start with your most valuable items.  I find in time these can change value and once not so valuable items become valuable and vice versa.  The good thing about Ebay is it doesn't cost you anything for listing the first 50 or so items per month and that you can easily roll over the ones that don't sell.  I would not use auctions, set your prices.  Use Amazon, Ebay, and discogs for comparison pricing.  Price yours the lowest, if it doesn't fetch more than $10, set it aside, move on to another item.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

42 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

are you in the US?

if so, how do you feel about breaking the law?

What law?  It's Trump time and fake news.  Kind of hard to get ethical all of a sudden, yes?

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

2 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I cannot even give them away...................by law.

Really?

Is it forbidden to give away digital books as well ?

So you can give give away your cd's, but not a HD with them inside. That's crazy. We here can do that legally I think. 

Jottacloud is a Norwegian service. Store them there, and Donald can't catch you ?

Nobody here would care if you'd share your files. (With a few friends). 

Just FYI, the legal situation is different in Europe. When you buy a CD, you can use it in any way you want, except for certain acts which the rightholder can forbid or restrict, such as copying (outside the private copying exception), or public performance or public lending. The buyer doesn't get a license on the music. The legal stuff printed on the CDs, which reads like a license agreement, is irrelevant, it's the national law that counts. It defines the rights of the copyright holder and the limitations and exceptions to these rights.

That means the buyer can also resell his CDs while keeping a copy, if the copying for personal use is permitted (as it's the case in most european countries).

The situation is not comparable with software, where the buyer get's a license to use it, When he resells the license, he loses the right to use the software.

Claude

Check out murfie.com

I shipped 99% of my collection there, and I've been steadily selling things I don't listen to.  I also buy new CDs there whenever they're available, just to save on shipping costs (I get the digital downloads)

Great service, but CD only I believe.

For SACDs, send me a list and I'm glad to help take some off your hands ;)

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

Thanks for your thoughts! I am leaning towards the idea of trying to put the most valuable items up on eBay. As for the rest, maybe Decluttr, or donate to the public library.

I will also check out murfie.com.

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

For shipping on Ebay, print all your labels, US mail, from home, tracking number is included.  All you need is a small scale.  If you do it right, you never have to leave the house, other than the mailbox.

I assume that there are special cd mailer boxes that I can get for eBay sales. Is a simple cardboard wrapping like box sufficient to protect them during mailing? I just remember back in the day receiving cds with cracked jewel cases because they were shipped without padding... and never being very happy about that. The alternative is to pack them in a larger box with padding, but then the shipping costs start to add up probably.

37 minutes ago, Joebah said:

I assume that there are special cd mailer boxes that I can get for eBay sales. Is a simple cardboard wrapping like box sufficient to protect them during mailing? I just remember back in the day receiving cds with cracked jewel cases because they were shipped without padding...

I get used CD's mostly in padded envelopes. Very rare problems, that could have been shipped that way, who knows, But they should work fine for you. Add some cardboard, if worried.

On 4/20/2017 at 7:50 PM, Daudio said:

I also buy many used cds and sell some. I've received many broken cases, especially with international purchases that aren't very well packed. Best method is a padded envelope that is not too tight or too loose, and a piece of cardboard on either side of the cd. Best to tape the cardboard on. It is also, imo, good to avoid Media Mail. Higher damage rate because of how the package is handled. So use parcel or, better, Priority Mail. Customers usually appreciate the Priority upgrade. I use Amazon mostly for buying and selling used cds.

Probably the best if you don't have time to sell one by one way is to sell them to a reputable music store or Ebay/Amazon dealer in your area. Expect 50% value or less, I would think on the bulk of them. But  it would be better than less than 10%...  A friend of mine does the ebay thing and will look over the collection quickly in someone's home and pull out some he thinks or knows are worth something. Make offers on those, then make an offer on the bulk of the rest. Or you could pull out what you think is worth more yourself and sell the rest as a lot.

You could also bring boxes of them in to stores that buy music. You'll get better value if you ask for "trade" value than cash. Something like the Ameoba stores in the SF bay area- I would think most urban areas have something like that. They won't take everything, probably, but will take a lot.