IGNORED

Oppo UDP-205 Universal Disc Player

Oppo has announced a few more details on their upcoming UDP-205 disc player....

Lossless High-resolution Audio

Audio format support has been expanded to multi-channel DSD64/128, as well as 192kHz/24-bit PCM used in high-resolution lossless formats such AIFF, ALAC, APE, FLAC and WAV. (DSD64 is played back in native mode or converted to PCM, DSD128 converted to PCM.)

http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/

• 4 weeks later...

OPPO UDP-205 & TIDAL

Does the 205 stream Tidal? I have the OPPO Sonic DAC & it streams Tidal. I would like to add the 205 for spinning discs but I have read that there are no built in APPs as is the case with the 105/105D (I wish I had not sold my 105D).

So, if anybody knows what is going on with streaming via the 205 please let me know. Is there a firmware update planned to include any APPs?

Beach Life

I don't think so.

Also, as per Oppo Email - it does not receive Apple Airplay (iTunes) over WiFi.

You do have several types of inputs so you could find some sort of "catcher" for Tidal and then plug it in, similar to using an Apple TV3 to "catch" the AirPlay from iTunes.

12 hours ago, Birddogthecat said:

OPPO UDP-205 & TIDAL

Does the 205 stream Tidal? I have the OPPO Sonic DAC & it streams Tidal. I would like to add the 205 for spinning discs but I have read that there are no built in APPs as is the case with the 105/105D (I wish I had not sold my 105D).

So, if anybody knows what is going on with streaming via the 205 please let me know. Is there a firmware update planned to include any APPs?

I sent OPPO an email and asked if the 203 or 205 stream, answer no. 

The Truth Is Out There

On 2017-5-19 at 2:10 AM, mav52 said:

I sent OPPO an email and asked if the 203 or 205 stream, answer no. 

Was the question they replied "No" to, whether the 203/205 support streaming now, or whether they will get round to adding apps in the future? 

I'm upgrading from the 105D to the 205 and this means I'm losing Netflix. Sure I can add another box (Nvidia Shield or suchlike) but

A. I don't want another box

&

B. Come on Oppo (we love you guys) but respectfully I want my top of the range 4k player to be doing the business for Netflix. 

If streaming Apps like Netflix and Tidal are not on the roadmap then perhaps Oppo needs to rethink this one. 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

Oppo said plenty of times that they wouldn't have these kind of apps on their players going forward. Since technology changes quickly, people can, if they wish add a streaming device on their own. You can run a box into the Oppo.

As far as Tidal... yea.. that racist, ex drug dealer will not see a penny of my money.

Good so I get to spend even more than the significant cost of the Oppo, to have yet another box to feed Netflix into the Oppo! 

Sorry Oppo but that's a fail in my book. 

Also Tidal rocks but I guess there are other streaming music options. 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

It seems that they don't want to deal with updates and the fact that In a short period of time, these streaming services can change to take advantage of better tech.

I have a 103 with all these apps and I don't really use them. Most TV's have them too..

So if you have a 205, I assume you have a smart TV? Don't they have these very same apps? If you don't have a 4K TV then why bother with a 205?

Maybe your mp3 pusher man will start slinging blue ray players?

Hi Miko - perhaps it's just me but your tone seems borderline aggressive and I'm not sure why. 

I have a smart 4k tv does does indeed have Netflix. 

My point was that after buying a top of the range Oppo 4k player the optimal route would seem to be:

205>AVR>TV

TV>AVR sound for Netflix is possible - via ARC or Toslink - but I doubt it's as good as the Oppo would hopefully be at running Netflix. I may be wrong there tho. 

Other option is:

Nvidia sheild>(for Netflix)>205>AVR>tv

Again I feel this is less than optimal. I sold my previous Nvidia because it kept bloody crashing and freezing. Also it's yet another box on the AV rack. 

I guess that I need to explore the TV to AVR sound route or forgo surround sound on Netflix! 

Oppo's decision on apps might make sense for them. But it's a pain for me. 

Also re Tidal my 2 channel audio goes another path so the Oppo not supporting Tidal doesn't impact me. But FWIW Tidal is the class leading streaming option with lossless CD quality streaming and MQA. It's the best option and greatly improves my music catalogue. Jay is welcome to the £20 a month because it's worth it to me. 

If it's not for you then fair enough. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

"Tidal’s files may begin lossless (1,411 KBPS), by the time they reach your device, the quality may be reduced by up to 40%-50%"

Par for the course... I wonder if the drugs he sold had a comparable reduction in quality?

I think you misunderstand my deep dislike for this racist pos. But hey, it's your money.. spend it however you like.

21 minutes ago, Miko said:

"Tidal’s files may begin lossless (1,411 KBPS), by the time they reach your device, the quality may be reduced by up to 40%-50%"

Tidal sounds great in my system - simples! 

6 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Was the question they replied "No" to, whether the 203/205 support streaming now, or whether they will get round to adding apps in the future? 

I'm upgrading from the 105D to the 205 and this means I'm losing Netflix. Sure I can add another box (Nvidia Shield or suchlike) but

A. I don't want another box

&

B. Come on Oppo (we love you guys) but respectfully I want my top of the range 4k player to be doing the business for Netflix. 

If streaming Apps like Netflix and Tidal are not on the roadmap then perhaps Oppo needs to rethink this one. 

They said no.  I asked well OPPO added an update to allow Tidal so how about a update at a later date and they came back with this

"

Chris,

The player was designed to be more streamlined and run faster than the previous generation of players. This necessitated that we did not include any streaming services in the player. The player does, however, have the ability to be augmented through firmware, so it is always possible that we can add streaming services to the player through future firmware releases.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025 "

The Truth Is Out There

7 hours ago, mav52 said:

Just a thought, Maybe OPPO is looking at not having direct competition with the own newly released Sonica DAC/Streamer which does offer Tidal. 

That could be part of it.  With Oppo releasing DACs (HA-1, HA-2, Sonica), wouldn't surprise me to see them adding more DACs to the audio lineup.  And that means added features in those potential products vs. the disc players.

Should also mention that Oppo received a lot of feedback after the 203 & 205 were announced that the price on these new units better be the same or close to the 103 and 105.  Skipping circuitry, licensing and costs for things like HDCD decoding, apps, etc. certainly helped in that department.  

Sometimes it comes down to what is more important - keeping the price down or more features.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2017 at 4:58 AM, Miko said:

Par for the course... I wonder if the drugs he sold had a comparable reduction in quality?

I think you misunderstand my deep dislike for this racist pos. But hey, it's your money.. spend it however you like.

Tidal lossless is lossless. I've done the bit-for-bit comparison and the files are identical. If the sound you get is 50% of the quality you expect, there's an issue somewhere else.  

With respect to your other statements, they may tell more about you than Sean Carter. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I've been using Oppo players for years.  Still have an 83 and a 103.  The 103 has a Tidal and Berliner Philharmonic app which has been a very convenient and good quality method to access these platforms.  Of course Tidal access through Roon eliminates the Tidal through Oppo need, but it's a shame they didn't include the app.  What Oppo should do is make it Roon ready.

I still use the Oppo for movies as I prefer to watch blu ray direct from disc, and listening to 5.1 music.  If it had a USB in that would accept an endpoint signal and utilize its DAC, I would do that in other locations of my house, but sadly it doesn't allow for that.  Of course I could use the Oppo's media player but it's clunky.

8 hours ago, allaboutacoustic said:

Just want to drop a note, oppo-205 is a great improvement from 105.

Good to know as mines ordered :D

Can you elaborate a bit please. Do you mean for movies or music? Or both?

Thanks, 

Alan 

16 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Good to know as mines ordered :D

Can you elaborate a bit please. Do you mean for movies or music? Or both?

Thanks, 

Alan 

I have about 50 hours on mine and was very pleased with the much improved stereo analog.  I have a Sonicorbiter SE connected while I wait for the Ultrarendu and am very happy with the sound to this point.  I was expecting a harsh, bright sound but that is not the case.  I have a Resonessence Veritas DAC that is very good and have been doing some comparisons.  I will have to get a bit more hours on the Oppo but they really did a nice job with this unit. The video processing is excellent as usual but I think you are in for a treat where music is concerned ;)

Thanks @Kilauea50