IGNORED

Post-Win10 upgrade drop out problem

I upgraded Windows 10 last week, a major upgrade which neatly ring-fenced Bubble Server and Linn Kazoo, making them unavailable until I had uninstalled and reinstalled them.  Part of the DNLA anti-FLAC campaign, I suppose.  But since then, I've noticed that tracks frequently go silent for the last minute or so of play, then the following track begins OK.  This happens maybe a couple of times in each hour of play.

This seems unlikely to be a Bubble Server problem, but it did begin with the Win 10 upgrade and Win 10 only affects Bubble Server, hence my suspicions.

Can anyone advise on possible problem, potential solution or how to begin tracking the problem down?

Louise

TIDAL. Win10 - Bubble Server.  Android phone control points / Linn Kazoo.  UPnP OpenHome.  Marantz SR6009 AVR.  

Hi Louise

The BubbleUPnP Server acts as a proxy when being used for its OpenHome Streaming Services function, used for accessing online music services such as TIDAL. This means your Marantz streamer will be obtaining the TIDAL audio stream via BubbleUPnP Server, rather than directly from TIDAL's online server. Note, this proxying of the original audio stream does not occur when using its created OpenHome renderer with a UPnP/DLNA media server (such as MinimServer) for streaming your own audio files.

The TIDAL stream itself could coincidentally be at fault, though unlikely. It's more likely that the proxying process itself is failing occasionally for some reason and is somehow related to the upgrade (a resource issue, may be?). BubbleUPnP Server requires the Java Runtime, so make sure you've got the latest version properly installed. Also, worth checking is the BubbleUPnP Server's log file, BubbleUPnPServer.log.0, normally located in the same folder as its executable file.

When the track goes silent, does the controller app's track position slider/indicator advance as normal to the end of the track?

Does any sound return before the start of the next track, however intermittent?

Incidentally, support from Bubbleguuum, BubbleUPnP's developer, is available on the XDA-Developers site:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1118891BubbleUPnP

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Thank you for this, John.

I've updated Java, although it is set to update every week, so I'm not sure this will help. Whether it is set up properly, I don't know, it's just a standard set-up.

I don't know if the slider was sliding or not, we had guests throughout the time it was playing up and I didn't check.  I will do next time.  Can't find any sign of the logs, I'm guessing the Windows geeks have decided the users needn't see them.

On reflection, the computer has been running a bit like a sick pig since the update, so as it is proxying the stream, it could be the computer at fault.

I had wondered about putting Bubble Server on an Android device instead, but if it proxies the stream, this is perhaps not a good idea, as it pushes it all through wi-fi.

So it looks as if the faulty file track stream has been created with the correct length by BubbleUPnP Server, but perhaps for some reason the last twenty seconds or so of audio data have not been copied (or possibly even missing from the received TIDAL audio stream), during the proxying process.

Not sure why you can't see the log file - have you disabled the 'Log to file' setting (normally enabled by default) in BubbleUPnP Server's Advanced Settings?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I was going to suggest looking for warnings or errors around about the time of the problem occurring. However it appears the log file's timestamp is broken or represents something other than the date & time of the message being logged. Time elapsed since BubbleUPnP Server was started, perhaps? So probably best to search for the failing track name(s) and any error/warning messages logged in the vicinity.

BTW, use a decent source code editor rather than a plain text file editor such as notepad, as the log file is formatted - eg notepad++

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

-- Jo Cox