IGNORED

Sold my VEGA...Whats NEXT?

Hello,

Just sold my Vega DAC, i am looking for tis replacement...

1.- HOLO Spring DAC Level 2 or 3 - w/Singxer SU-1 (i2s) 

2.- T+A DAC8 DSD (used)

3.- GUSTARD X20 modded - w/Singxer SU-1 (i2s

4.- LKS Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038pro - w/Singxer SU-1 (i2s)

Any suggestions

Thanks!

Sold my VEGA cause no more than DSD128 and i want to be able to do DSD512, i use ROON with a Microrendu and  i want to add HQP to achieve better performance, last time i tried to upgrade my VEGA to DSD256 but Wang told me that protect was done (no more upgrades to DSD256) sad but true, i guess VEGA it is not the important device, but customers? anyway i have been reading a lot about the Gustard X20pro modded and that can achieve SQ almost in pair with the T+A DAC8 in the other hand HOLO SPRING which is a wonderful DAC but its USB implementation NOT so good so you need the SU-1 to make it shine, the T+A itself to be one hell all rounder with excellent r2r implementation and DSD512 and last the LKS 004 which comes in stock with lots of the regular modded adds that some people use to implement theirs stock dacs, Jensen capacitors, Cardas RCA and Neutrik XLR and Crystek femto oscillators among some but hardly read some comparison or extensive reports on this one.

More on this DAC:

Description
ES9038pro is ESS's flagship DAC audio decoder chip, is currently able to see the highest performance index DAC chip, according to the practice of Mu, the use of two ES9038pro, respectively, work in the mono MONO mode, making two DAC chip Individually deal with the left and right channel audio content and do not interfere with each other, greatly enhance the DAC's performance and auditory effects. Mono MONO mode The official indicator is the dynamic range of 140dBA, which is 3dB higher than 137dBA when working with a single two-channel channel. The official indicator is for reference only, but it is easy to see that the monaural MONO Mode, the signal output current of the DAC is twice as high as that of the two-channel mode, and the darkness of the sound background, the density of the sound, the degree of separation, the motion, the knot, etc. can be made significant Of the promotion.

Have enough experience enthusiasts know, DAC chip is only a machine foundation, the most critical is the external circuit design and adjustment, in order to achieve the use of ES9038pro and get the best sound replay effect, L.K.S Audio uncompromising around Circuit design, such as the use of two high-quality transformer to achieve six sets of AC power supply, a total of 13 groups of low-noise regulator circuit (a lot of key parts of the use of two-level regulator approach), the second level regulator using the industry to high performance Power supply chip to provide a sufficient current margin, the reaction of fast, ultra-low noise power.

At the same time, in order to deal with ES9038pro unique MONO mode of large current output (more than 100mA of signal current), specially designed IV conversion circuit, this part of the circuit for the pure sub-design, the substrate is the current low noise indicators Audio transistor, twin effect transistor, audio power tube, etc., the correction capacitor is also uncompromising use of silver mica capacitors, the purpose is to get the most accurate, natural voice to reproduce. This circuit mode is the traditional integrated op amp output (such as OPA627, AD797, LME49990, OPA1612, etc.) can not match.

L.K.S Audio in the most critical place to carry out the following design:

1. USB part, Mu has always adhere to the use of Italy Amanero's USB program, which is the industry's leading USB playback program, recognized that the program sound better than the popular xmos, and L.K.S Audio in the Italian original on the basis of improvement, based Board usb module will use six groups of ultra-low noise LDO for sub-power supply (and the original is two LDO). In addition, in the usb upgrade version, Mu sound using two Crystek ultra-low noise clock to upgrade, and provides a decoder power transformer self-powered ultra-low noise power supply module to usb module power supply, sound enhancement effect , Very suitable for the computer as a player to use the enthusiasts. And thus one can save the cost of purchasing an external digital player.

2. The key master clock position, the same uncompromising, uses the Crystek CCHD-575 femtosecond clock to provide a very low jitter (82fS @ 100MHz) clock supply for the ES9038pro. Experienced burning friends know that digital audio recovery, the clock is the soul of the system, the importance of the clock can be seen. And in order to pure the clock signal, L.K.S Audio from the source - power grab, regardless of the cost of using a separate set of AC power, after two ultra-low noise regulator after the supply of this clock alone, greatly enhance the sound The stability of the background, the stability of the sound imaging.

3. L.K.S Audio for the left and right channels were working on the two ES9038pro DAC chip design of the independent power supply, making the left and right channel power crosstalk as low as possible to a very low state, which is brought about by the excellent sound separation Degree, very accurate sound imaging stability.

4. L.K.S Audio three years ago to proceed with the development of discrete circuits used to replace the traditional op amp chip, because the traditional op amp chip is subject to the chip size and SOC integrated circuit of some innate factors, the composition of the internal circuit of the monomer parts Performance is very limited, can withstand the heat power is very low, basically all of the integrated operational amplifier chip quiescent current is in a very low state (less than 10mA), even if the enthusiast of the senior opa627 gold seal version is the case, Processing ES9018 / 28/38 more and more audio output current (ES9018 / 28 in the mono mode output current is about 30mA or more, while the ES9038 is more than 100mA), so the overall quality of performance can not meet the demanding needs of enthusiasts The The output of the sub-output circuit, the use of twin JFET field effect transistor input, the last pole 3A power tube output, you can easily meet the ES9038pro high current output processing, and after three years of accumulated over 100 circuit parameters tuning, sound Performance is extremely natural, Chiang Kai-shek, high and low frequency of the ductility is excellent.

5. With a high standard of analog output circuit,  In order to meet the best performance of this circuit, in particular the design of the same high-grade A (A) power circuit, constant current source SHUNT circuit mode design, ON Semiconductor high power Adjust the tube, and use Jensen new electrolysis, with the appropriate output capacitor and decoupling capacitor, natural sound, transparent, very balanced and very musical appeal.

6. High-grade system inside, the impact of each little detail can not be ignored, using Furukawa FI03 gold-plated power outlet, Cardas rhodium-plated RCA audio output, Neutirk balanced output, etc., these components for high-calorie players That is the most familiar. It is precisely the focus of these key parts in order to create a good sound system.  for the customer standard Swiss Schute frozen version of the fuse, the sound performance of fine, moist, quiet and good, more obvious can be compared to the general fuse is rough, grainy.

MH-DA004 DAC All ports support DSD input (coaxial, fiber, BNC, AES / EBU for DoP input, USB, I2S support DoP, DSD native source input)
All online decoders are fully balanced analog circuit designs. Friends do not have to ask whether it is really balanced question.
The machine uses the Italian Amanero USB module, supports PCM and DSD decoding in USB access mode, PCM supports 44.1K ~ 384K various rate, DSD support DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, DSD512 (Windows).
Windows system support 32/64 bit XP / Vista / win7 / win8 / win10, need to install a proprietary driver (support KS / Wasapi / WDM / ASIO).
Mac OS 10.6+ and Linux UAC2 are not driven.
Amanero USB DSD driver and use the settings method download (please contact us)

Specifications
Two-chip ES9038pro decoding method.
Two high-quality toroidal transformers, a total of 13 groups of linear power supply.
Built-in specially designed Italian Amanero USB module, original license license. USB module added to isolate the chip, you can isolate the computer to the audio system interference signal.
Supports USB, I2S / DSD single-ended signal (RJ45), I2S / DSD balanced signal (HDMI), oaxial, BNC, AES / EBU balance, Optical total seven-way source input, all ports support DSD input.
Analog audio output port includes standard RCA single-ended output and XLR balanced output pair.
Display with VFD display, the display exceptionally outstanding.
 Use physical key operation.
Support 0dB ~ -127dB digital volume adjustment, 0.5dB level. But also has a remote key to skip the volume adjustment function.
Support a variety of digital filter mode settings (see user manual). Can be arbitrarily selected, different filter mode, the digital filter attenuation characteristics are different.
Supports decoding of internal digital phase-locked loop bandwidth settings (see user's manual for details).
Support Deemphasis to increase or turn off.
The display has 4 levels of brightness adjustable. Adjusted by remote control.
Remote start, standby function.
Most of the settings with memory function, turn off the opportunity to automatically save the settings, restart the settings.
Dynamic range> 135dB
Distortion <0.0002%
Stereo resolution> 120dB
RCA unbalanced port output amplitude 2Vrms, XLR balanced port output amplitude 5Vrms.
Machine size 430 * 320 * 90mm
Machine weight 7.0kg

I'm very interested in the LKS DAC. They talked a good game. Modded USB controller, all discrete output, hardware balanced, etc. I know a couple of guys on the forums have ordered one, but we haven't heard back from them yet I think.

The T+A DAC is kind of the default option.

3 minutes ago, Kirbyt said:

Well the gustard and lks are considerably better than the vega, I've had all three as well as the holo level three. I still have the gustard and the lks. Really for the money the gustard is hard to beat.

On Paper the LKS 004 seems to be very very good, but all the buzz is over the HOLO Level 3, i hardly read about Gustard or LKS...so i'm guessing the HOLO has been giving more to talk about...something good it should be :ph34r:

Have you looked up the Musical Paradise MP-D2? I had mentioned it on another thread but it hasn't got much attention on here.

Not in the same league as some you are looking at but is a very interesting design offering balanced output along with tube and capacitor rolling options, 

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=80

MP-D2_01-1024x683.jpg

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I have three Gustard X20Pros for a multichannel system.  They have been upgraded all the way by Ric @ EVS.  The value (even with the mods) and performance is off the charts. I don't want to start a food fight here about how over DAC hierarchy, but highly, highly recommended.  Gustard X20 Pro.

jjk

3 hours ago, jjkale said:

I have three Gustard X20Pros for a multichannel system.  They have been upgraded all the way by Ric @ EVS.  The value (even with the mods) and performance is off the charts. I don't want to start a food fight here about how over DAC hierarchy, but highly, highly recommended.  Gustard X20 Pro.

Have you compared these Gustard X20 pro mods with other DACs?

8 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

Have you compared these Gustard X20 pro mods with other DACs?

There are all sorts of fanboy comments about how good this is, beats Vega yada yada yada, but I've yet to see a real review, professional or otherwise that would be useful for making an informed purchasing decision.

2 hours ago, unbalanced output said:

There are quite a few options at the price point or the Holidays  a level 3. Lampi (new or used), Hugo, Schiit if youre in for a stretch...

Is there a Holiday with special prices near to come in the USA?

Regards

7 hours ago, unbalanced output said:

Lol sorry, I didn't notice the correction. I meant to say that at the price point the Holo level 3 (which now it tried to autoconplete to Holocaust... go figure) which is a 2k+ boxthere are other options - add w4s and so on to the list. The Gustard (or custard according to my phone) is significantly cheaper though. 

Jajaja, No problem here, it is in the attitude where it counts...thanks for the suggestions!

I have selected 3 choices so far, those are my 3 contenders, of course i will have to wait for the VEGA Gen2 to be available if things go as i am expecting with this device, so maybe i will go first for the NEW OPPO 205, which i was going to get it anyway in the near future for the SACD & 4K capabilities among other things, and use it as a DAC in the meanwhile, while i decide which path i will follow for dedicated REF DAC, who knows maybe i got a surprise to see how good it is the DAC performance in the new 205 :D

HOLO SPRING L3

T+A DAC8 DSD

Auralic VEGA GEN2

On 4/16/2017 at 5:56 PM, mikicasellas said:

Hello,

Just sold my Vega DAC, i am looking for tis replacement...

1.- HOLO Spring DAC Level 2 or 3 - w/Singxer SU-1 (i2s) 

2.- T+A DAC8 DSD (used)

3.- GUSTARD X20 modded - w/Singxer SU-1 (i2s

4.- LKS Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038pro - w/Singxer SU-1 (i2s)

Any suggestions

Thanks!

I replaced my Vega with a Schiit Yggy and have never regretted it. It is followed by a Focusrite Rednet D16 ethernet to AES converter and I use the AES input on my Yggy.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

• 3 months later...

Sorry to necro an old thread, but I'm in a similar position to the OP. For a while I've been sold on stepping up to the Vega, but recently I've seen a few other options that come in at a much lower price tag but seem to garner comparable if not better impressions. Namely the Chord 2qute and X20pro. 

Anyone with who's laid ears on these units, feel free to chime in.

It was mentioned before, so I know there are fanboy-ish impressions saying that the Gustard blows the Vega out of the water, but one person's ratings are really enough to justify an $800 investment sight unseen.

On the Run: RBed 128gb iPod > VSD3S

On the Road: iPhone 6S > U8

On the Desk: MBP > Atlantis+ > MAD Ear > PS1000/Nhoord V1

Can't compare X20pro to Vega, but it's certainly a very capable DAC with some great qualities. I did buy it sight unseen based on recommendation and measurements, but have been extremely impressed by what it does within my system. This DAC is what convinced me to move away from a dedicated CD Transport to a computer/USB-based playback.