IGNORED

Which Endpoint for Roon

OK, putting price aside which endpoint is superior out of the three.

I have heard mixed impressions .

I currently have my main stereo system using Silent PC with SOTM USB PCIe power off on USB to an Uptone Regen connected to my DAC.

The music is phenomenal but for by headphone system I want to try a dedicated endpoint and see if it can beat my current transport.

So the list is:

1. Sonore microrendu
  2. Auralic Aries
  3. SOTM sMS-200

Please advise if there is another one that needs to be included, but I'am looking for a no compromise transport. I would avoid power supplies that cost almost as much as the endpoint a few hundred bucks is fine.

Appreciate you guys taking the time to share your experience and findings.

My Head-Fi rig, at the moment:

MacBook Pro (Roon) → Ethernet → Bryston BDP-1 → UpTone REGEN → Bel Canto REFLink + DAC 2.5

Woo WA3 + Western Electric 421a + JW 2C51 (396A)

That said, you could skip the D-2-D converter with a newer BDP-3 with (effectively) a built-in USB-to-SPDIF converter and then AES/EBU out into your DAC. I would consider the Bryston transport to be no compromise.

YMMV and Good Hunting!

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."

Just now, alice said:

Do we know much about what the improvements will be ?

I can get an Aries for $750 new and only a few left so want to not loose out.

It has a new clock that's supposed to be awesome.  However, it will be much more expensive than the sMS-200.  I believe it will be over $1000.

5 minutes ago, limniscate said:

It has a new clock that's supposed to be awesome.  However, it will be much more expensive than the sMS-200.  I believe it will be over $1000.

Ok thanks, let's stick  to what is currently available then.

2 hours ago, alice said:

OK, putting price aside which endpoint is superior out of the three.

I have heard mixed impressions .

I currently have my main stereo system using Silent PC with SOTM USB PCIe power off on USB to an Uptone Regen connected to my DAC.

The music is phenomenal but for by headphone system I want to try a dedicated endpoint and see if it can beat my current transport.

So the list is:

1. Sonore microrendu
  2. Auralic Aries
  3. SOTM sMS-200

Please advise if there is another one that needs to be included, but I'am looking for a no compromise transport. I would avoid power supplies that cost almost as much as the endpoint a few hundred bucks is fine.

Appreciate you guys taking the time to share your experience and findings.

I own (or have owned) each of the 3 on your list.  The Aries I used to own had the Femto clock upgrade and the LPS PSU.  I also currently own the SOtM sMS-200 Ultra, which should be formally released sometime next month at a price point of about $1,300.  At least in my system, this Ultra is in a class of its own and easily surpasses the 3 that you have on your list.  The only thing that sets it apart from the standard sMS-200 is a better clock, however, this clock makes a pretty significant difference.

Having said that, given that you also have a very good PCIe USB card for your PC, I would suggest you also consider the upcoming Uptone Iso Regen (price unknown but probably won't be real expensive) or the SOtM tX-USB HD Ultra ($990).  It would be a shame not to use your USB card and with either the Iso Regen or tX-USB HD Ultra, you can keep the PCIe power turned off.

I have the sMS-200 and thought it was better than the mRendu in my system. Better how? Mostly I found it more engaging. Maybe a bit warmer too. I just added the SOtM TX-USB Ultra and that improved things further. I'm looking forward to getting the sMS-200 Ultra, so my sMS-200 will be for sale soon... Just sayin! 

ChrisG

Bend, OR

I'd just hold off till after RMAF and buy one of the DAC's coming out with built in Ravenna interface. It will smoke any outboard USB based box by far, and it will be built right into the DAC. Another bonus is you can use it with any media player, even Netflix with no latency. Not just Roon. 

1 hour ago, romaz said:

I own (or have owned) each of the 3 on your list.  The Aries I used to own had the Femto clock upgrade and the LPS PSU.  I also currently own the SOtM sMS-200 Ultra, which should be formally released sometime next month at a price point of about $1,300.  At least in my system, this Ultra is in a class of its own and easily surpasses the 3 that you have on your list.  The only thing that sets it apart from the standard sMS-200 is a better clock, however, this clock makes a pretty significant difference.

Having said that, given that you also have a very good PCIe USB card for your PC, I would suggest you also consider the upcoming Uptone Iso Regen (price unknown but probably won't be real expensive) or the SOtM tX-USB HD Ultra ($990).  It would be a shame not to use your USB card and with either the Iso Regen or tX-USB HD Ultra, you can keep the PCIe power turned off.

Thanks for your recommendation, not sure whether my thread was clear.

I do have a regen in the system with Sotm PCIe and Iam not changing that system.

What Iam changing is another system where I just have a mini pc straight to DAC. That's where I need either of the 3 products.

1 hour ago, ChrisG said:

I have the sMS-200 and thought it was better than the mRendu in my system. Better how? Mostly I found it more engaging. Maybe a bit warmer too. I just added the SOtM TX-USB Ultra and that improved things further. I'm looking forward to getting the sMS-200 Ultra, so my sMS-200 will be for sale soon... Just sayin! 

What do you want for your SMS-200 ?

6 minutes ago, Silly goose said:

I'd just hold off till after RMAF and buy one of the DAC's coming out with built in Ravenna interface. It will smoke any outboard USB based box by far, and it will be built right into the DAC. Another bonus is you can use it with any media player, even Netflix with no latency. Not just Roon. 

I definitely need to continue using Roon and not keen on changing DACs just for the interface.

Both my DACs cost over a few thousand bucks if not more.

2 minutes ago, alice said:

I definitely need to continue using Roon and not keen on changing DACs just for the interface.

Both my DACs cost over a few thousand bucks if not more.

Okay wasn't sure if you needed a DAC as well. Anyways for your next DAC there will be many choices soon. The days of outboard boxes for Ethernet to USB being popular are numbered.