IGNORED

I just bought a Bose product and really like it, does this get me banned?

As I'll switch to an IPhone 7 soon and Inspired by the Travel Headphone thread I just bought a pair of Bose QC35, to get bluetooth capability. 

I compared them in store to the Sony and Sennheiser noise canceling headphones in the same price range, and the noise cancelling technology was so much better, I went for Bose. 

And surprisingly, in spite of them being from Bose AND wireless, the sound is more than decent. 

Granted, my HD800 are from a different planet, but I find them reasonably balanced and resolving (and unlike the Senn NC, not too bass heavy. They manage at least not to screw anything up too badly. 

As the icing on the cake, they are really surprisingly comfortable!

I can fully recommend them!

4 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

As I'll switch to an IPhone 7 soon and Inspired by the Travel Headphone thread I just bought a pair of Bose QC35, to get bluetooth capability. 

I compared them in store to the Sony and Sennheiser noise canceling headphones in the same price range, and the noise cancelling technology was so much better, I went for Bose. 

And surprisingly, in spite of them being from Bose AND wireless, the sound is more than decent. 

Granted, my HD800 are from a different planet, but I find them reasonably balanced and resolving (and unlike the Senn NC, not too bass heavy. They manage at least not to screw anything up too badly. 

When you get into the need for Bluetooth and / or noise cancelling, you wind up playing in a different ballpark, as you've noted.

I had the Sony MDR-1000x, but not for much longer - they broke (earpiece on the left side simply fell off after 3-4 months of light use), and Sony will not do warranty replacements for physical "damage" (even though I've tried to convince them this must be a manufacturing fault!).  Probably going to get the Bose QC35 myself.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

6 hours ago, Musicophile said:

The DSP that provides the NC also equalizes the sound, and pretty well at that.  You can hear the difference by playing it in passive mode, where there is no EQ.  I found the soft hiss from the NC to be no real bother, even in home listening, as long as the music didn't have very quiet segments that lasted a while.

I found the Bose NC QC30 (?) microphones or gain control couldn't quite cope with resonances when used on the road in coaches. They would overload and cause a stutter. Sennheiser PXC450 didn't have that problem. For aircraft, the Bose were OK.

The EQ in the Bose is impressionable in the beginning but I tired of the EQ and now settle on Sennheiser Over ear Momentum for road/air use. There's a fair of bit of passive isolation in the muffs that filter aircraft noise already, and find the NC technology not required. They don't fold into a neat flat(ter) pack, which is their downfall and cramming the case into the back seat aircraft pocket is a challenge.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Writing this from my first long distance train ride. Still impressed by the noise cancelling skills of this device, and while SQ isn't brilliant, it's certainly good enough for my travel needs. 

This is also my first wireless experience and I'm very please to see that you can connect to two Bluetooth devices in parallel. Currently streaming the Matthew Passion from the Qobuz app on my iPad, but still able to pick up calls from the IPhone that is connected as well. 

The bluetooth range is also quite impressive, I can easily walk around quite a bit without losing connection. 

Have checked autonomy yet but the battery seems to go down very slowly so the claimed autonomy of 20h may even be realistic. 

The only drawback I see so far is that the battery cannot be changed by the user. Let's see some years down the line what happens when the battery reaches the end of its lifespan. Wondering how Bose will deal with this. 

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

You guys know the old joke about when Amar Bose and Paul Klipsch met on the street?   Its kind of a visual joke.  But look at these--while thinking of their early designs--and use your imagination:

Amar   >

Paul  <   

O.o

I purchased Advents in 1971 following a rave review in Stereophile by the legendary J. Gordon Holt.  The Advents weren't the greatest for clarity, but they had a very neutral response plus a phenomenal deep bass reach.  Later on I evaluated the Bose 901, then the Klipschorns.  I was surprised by the neutral tonality of both, since I'd heard a lot of speakers with obvious colorations, and I remembered that the same Gordon Holt was a fan of neither one.

From Tyll Hertsens, Inner Fidelity: 

I like the Sony MDR-1000X—the sound is pleasant, the features attractive, and it's dead sexy looking—but at the same price I'd suggest the better sound quality, noise canceling, and comfort of the Bose QC 35 will better serve most folks. 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sony-mdr-1000x-wireless-noise-canceling-headphones-page-2#GUhzjyvL8y4WWFzD.97

Tyll's review of the Bose QC35: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/outstanding-bose-quiet-comfort-35-wireless-noise-canceling-headphone#faLbBa8K0mktozU7.97

I have two pairs of the wired  Bose QC25 headphones. I bought the first pair second-hand for a long plane trip, and liked them so much, I bought a second pair for my wife to use on the return flight home. They are very comfortable for hours on end. You can sleep with them on even if you are not listening to music or watching a movie.

The sound quality in active mode is not on the level with my Sennheiser HD 600's, but quite still good. Nothing really jumps out at me as objectionable. They are not good in passive mode, but that is not what they are designed for.

Would I recommend them as one's only pair of audiophile headphones? No, but for air travel to watch in-flight movies, or iPod music, they are indispensable.

Just off my first flight with the QC35. 

I'm amazed. The capacity of filtering the engine noise is really spectacular. 

I really start to appreciate the cable free aspect of Bluetooth. 

And finally, the set works well for phone conversations. 

I fully echo WWaldmans comments above, and apparently the 35 are even a step up in NC compared to the 25. 

And thanks Wgscott for the spyware note. I'll get rid of the app. 

No, it won't get you banned,  but it may get you data-mined, if the allegations in a complaint recently filed in a U.S. court are accurate.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/bose-sued-violating-wiretapping-eavesdropping-intrusion-privacy-fraud-and-deceptive-business

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

On 4/15/2017 at 8:44 AM, jhwalker said:

When you get into the need for Bluetooth and / or noise cancelling, you wind up playing in a different ballpark, as you've noted.

I had the Sony MDR-1000x, but not for much longer - they broke (earpiece on the left side simply fell off after 3-4 months of light use), and Sony will not do warranty replacements for physical "damage" (even though I've tried to convince them this must be a manufacturing fault!).  Probably going to get the Bose QC35 myself.

I'm "auditioning" Sony MDR-1000x for my very noisy company workspace.  Based on reviews, I thought I'd like them.   But put into practice...not impressed with the SQ (even corded).  Might as well use closed HPs I actually like and keep volume high enough to drown out yakkers.

6 hours ago, PorkChop said:

I'm "auditioning" Sony MDR-1000x for my very noisy company workspace.  Based on reviews, I thought I'd like them.   But put into practice...not impressed with the SQ (even corded).  Might as well use closed HPs I actually like and keep volume high enough to drown out yakkers.

I did compare the Sony directly to the Bose, and you see what I ended up buying. I wasn't impressed with the SQ of the Sony either. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is not possible to reach an end of "improvement". The only way out of this no-end and no-win race is to divert attention to mid-level components, similar to Bose's and stay with budget equipment happily. By the way, the owner of one famous US company which produces highly reputable and expensive IEMs uses phone as a source, "trying to keep everything very simple".