IGNORED

Brands of NAS that Work Well with microRendu and SqueezeLite???

Hi:

I'm new here, having been successfully using my new microRendu for around 3 weeks.  Currently I am streaming music over ethernet to the microRendu in my living room from my iMac's LMS files in the back of the house.  To simplify the music streaming setup, I am interested in getting an NAS unit to add to the network, and locate it next to the microRendu in the living room.  I am considering NAS models from SYNOLOGY, WESTERN DIGITAL, and perhaps QNAP.  I use iPeng 9 on my iPad currently to access and control the LMS files on my iMac.  Having read the User Manuals and internet reviews and articles for them, it is not fully clear to me which of these three mentioned NAS companies' units work best and most reliably with SqueezeLite and LMS on their NAS streaming to the microRendu.  Please help me by offering a reasonably detailed explanation of which of these have worked best for you and why.  

Thank you.

I use a Raspberry PI 3 with an SSD drive attached over USB. Running LMS on this computer works great.

- currently, I have only 1TB attached (larger USB SSD disks are available, but they are expensive)

- very low power consumption (rather important for me)

- needs some manual work / some Linux know how

This is the most recent solution (Mac mini => Synology => Raspberry PI)

Additional benefit: I use my Raspberry PI as a dedicated WLAN access point for others to browse my music (dedicated password, they don't need to get my normal WLAN password)

3 hours ago, jaaptina said:

A NAS usually makes quite a bit of fan noise. I've located my Synology DS116 in the cellar. A 2-bay NAS makes less noise. DS116 does audio streaming easily (less than 8% load). 

I have a DS416 slim (4x1TB) in a sideboard, the fan noise is pretty low, I usually don't here it. The DS416 slim supports only 2.5" disks, I selected slow disks to reduce the noise further (I don't use the the NAS for LMS anymore).

Some of the QNAP models are known for being fairly  quiet. Possibly some of the others. Usually specs include db ratings. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

9 hours ago, steven.y said:

Not an NAS, but I'm interested in SONICTRANSPORTER with optional SSD drive.

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/audio-server/products/sonictransporter?variant=18167614660

sonicTransporter qualifies as a NAS...it has local storage and network access.