IGNORED

Class D amplifiers, can a chip sound as good as a regular amplifier?

I have been exploring inexpensive "Class D" chip amplifiers. I was wondering if you could actually listen to an amplifier that is nothing more than a chip, a power supply and a volume control.

And the answer is "Yes" and as a matter of fact, it doesn't sound all that cheap.... I purchased a Nobsound 50wx2 Mini Power Amplifier for $40, and shelled out an additional $10 for a 24v power supply.

It sounds good.

Then I started reading about this kind of amplifier, and oh, boy is there a number of folks who dismiss them without question. I have never been one to read a review and agree with the writer, before I listen myself.

As "Computer Audiophile on the Cheap", a $50 amplifier goes right along with a $99 Schiit Modi 2, and the Schiit SYS passive pre-amp I already own. Generally speaking I favor "Vintage" electronics (By Vintage, I mean, ones that don't even have a CD-input-- mid 1980s receivers before Surround Sound and Home Theaters took over the marketplace)

They built some great electronics back then, and a quick check at the Salvation Army Thrift store or Craigslist will get you a chunking beast of an amp for less than $100. They can be re-capped and repaired, if you have a good technician around, and if all else fails, you can always find another one...

\

So why buy a $40 amplifier, that doesn't even have a power cord? Curiosity more than anything else. I didn't know what to expect, and I have seen rave reviews for what FleaWatt Audio is doing with this chip. Some folks dismiss the whole idea as not worthy of any serious consideration. 

I am a cheap-skate by nature, and although $40 doesn't break the bank, I expected something that would sound like "a $40 amplifier". I was surprised as just how good it sounded right out of the box, with a recycled 12v 'wall-wort' power supply. I figured it was pumping out 12 watts per channel into 8 ohm speakers. So, I went ahead and ordered the 24v adapter, which seems to put out 30w per channel, if I am reading the Texas Instrument data sheet correctly.

Does it sound as good as a 1980s era receiver? It sounds different. Different is neither bad nor good, it is just a different sound. But that same could be said about the harman/kardon h/k330i vs. the Yamaha RX-135.

After two albums, do your ears hurt, or do you want to listen to two more?

I found it surprisingly bright and punchy, without distortion or "gritty" overtones.

Will it be the prime amplifier in my system? Probably not, but it is certainly good enough for a secondary system--like back in the bedroom, with the laptop and a Dragonfly USB DAC, and a pair of Polk bookshelf speakers.

It seems that Class-D amplifiers have caught on with the PA systems, where 90% efficiency and lightweight are a consideration. Yamaha is building them, which makes me ponder what the Grateful Dead's "Wall of Sound" would have been like with Class D amplifiers. They could have cut the number of semi-tractor-trailers from three to one during the 1974 tour.

nobsound.jpg

16 minutes ago, Silly goose said:

I like how technology is making things better and cheaper. However I refuse to sell out our own citizens by buying Asian products that are available from local companies just to save a dime. That's the least patriotic thing anyone can do. 

Well the admin has already quashed a political debate on this forum, and judging from your profile photo, I think I know where you are headed here.  If you think $40 amplifiers are why China has a trade surplus, then is there any real reason to reply? Texas Instruments makes the chips. I have no idea whether a Chinese slave labor camp is doing the soldering, nor do I much care. If I had any skills with a soldering gun, and knew how to read a schematic, I am pretty sure I could DIY a TPA3116 into a functional amplifier for the cost of components, and the chip--right here in the good old USA. And lacking those skills, I could buy one from Fleawatt for $400...but this OP is about the Nobsound $40 amplifier, not a platform for jingoistic Pride In America...or am I missing your point? Both pieces of Schiit are made in America, and for the record Schiit has no interest in Class-D amplifiers. I already asked.....

DSC08733_v1.JPG

2 minutes ago, bigbob said:

Well the admin has already quashed a political debate on this forum, and judging from your profile photo, I think I know where you are headed here.  If you think $40 amplifiers are why China has a trade surplus, then is there any real reason to reply? Texas Instruments makes the chips. I have no idea whether a Chinese slave labor camp is doing the soldering, nor do I much care. If I had any skills with a soldering gun, and knew how to read a schematic, I am pretty sure I could DIY a TPA3116 into a functional amplifier for the cost of components, and the chip--right here in the good old USA. And lacking those skills, I could buy one from Fleawatt for $400...but this OP is about the Nobsound $40 amplifier, not a platform for jingoistic Pride In America...or am I missing your point? Both pieces of Schiit are made in America, and for the record Schiit has no interest in Class-D amplifiers. I already asked.....

DSC08733_v1.JPG

Just sharing my opinion. Yes I understand sweatshop labor can reduce costs, and I understand most people don't care. For people who don't care, they will care even less about my opinion as well. 

It might be better said, that if they could make them in the US at a profit, some entrepreneur would invest capital in the factory and spit them out by the dozens. I care about your opinion, albeit I disagree with your statement.

Some folks spend $250,000 for speakers, whilst others listen to ear-bugs. Audiophiles are a strange lot...if you take money out of the discussion--then all you have left to debate is whether it sounds good, or it makes your ears bleed.

I've been using a Dayton Audio DTA-120 to power some Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers at work. The amp is on sale right now for $78. After 2 years I'm still impressed with the sound. Value is off the charts. BTW bigbob, I love my Fleawatt TPA3116D2. I'll be using it in my main system during the hot summer months, replacing my tubed Chi-Fi wonder amp (APPJ PA0901A). Good sound on the cheap!

An afterthought .. I recently had my aging PS Audio Trio A-100 repaired. If you're not familiar with this amp it's a class d ICE amp produced about 10 years ago and sold for about $1000. I still like it and yet, I'll be using the little Fleawatt ($250) this summer. 

Wrong forum I guess, but... yes, class D amps will give you the highest watt-per-dollar you can find. IME it can be a reasonable option if the rest of the equipment is not particularly great, but only if your power demand is high for some reason. If not  - and you should not if you want good sound on the cheap - class AB amplifiers can be found for just a few bucks more than similar class D amps if you're into doing some DIY. Plug in a linear power supply and you can have a trully killer piece of equipment for the money. 

1 hour ago, unbalanced output said:

Wrong forum I guess, but... yes, class D amps will give you the highest watt-per-dollar you can find. IME it can be a reasonable option if the rest of the equipment is not particularly great, but only if your power demand is high for some reason. If not  - and you should not if you want good sound on the cheap - class AB amplifiers can be found for just a few bucks more than similar class D amps if you're into doing some DIY. Plug in a linear power supply and you can have a trully killer piece of equipment for the money. 

There isn't a forum for Class-D amplifiers, and quite frankly I thought I was posting under "Computer Audiophile on the Cheap" thread.

But, as to your point that an AB class amplifier "for a few bucks more"--that is a subjective opinion.

Class D amplifiers--so-called 'chip amplifiers' have up to 90% efficiency, and with a good power supply can provide the best bang for the buck.

The Class AB amps I see advertised are designed for automotive applications--apparently they can be blamed for the thunderous roar I hear coming from cars with big rims. As to whether it is a listenable amplifier, I have yet to hear one, so I don't have an opinion. All I can attest to is what I have heard--and my $40 Nobsound with a $10 24v PSU--sounds great.

"So the class AB amplifier is a good compromise between class A and class B in terms of efficiency and linearity, with conversion efficiencies reaching about 50% to 60%."-http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/amplifier/amplifier-classes.html 

Hi Bob

Actually, car audio uses a lot of class D amps, especially for subs, exactly due to their power efficiency. Class D will always deliver the most power for the money, but not necessarily the best sound quality. They have the advantage of being inherently less sensitive to the PS due to their switching nature... so yeah price-wise a good class D would be difficult to beat. Just the class of the amplifier doesn't tell you you much - in theory, class AB is superior to class D and probably is used by the majority of hi-fi amps out there. In practice, it is hard to make "fair" comparisons due to the lack of definition of what is "fair" (comparing same prices, same powers, etc.).

On 4/12/2017 at 6:16 PM, bigbob said:

I have been exploring inexpensive "Class D" chip amplifiers. I was wondering if you could actually listen to an amplifier that is nothing more than a chip, a power supply and a volume control.

And the answer is "Yes" and as a matter of fact, it doesn't sound all that cheap.... I purchased a Nobsound 50wx2 Mini Power Amplifier for $40, and shelled out an additional $10 for a 24v power supply.

It sounds good.

Then I started reading about this kind of amplifier, and oh, boy is there a number of folks who dismiss them without question. I have never been one to read a review and agree with the writer, before I listen myself.

As "Computer Audiophile on the Cheap", a $50 amplifier goes right along with a $99 Schiit Modi 2, and the Schiit SYS passive pre-amp I already own. Generally speaking I favor "Vintage" electronics (By Vintage, I mean, ones that don't even have a CD-input-- mid 1980s receivers before Surround Sound and Home Theaters took over the marketplace)

They built some great electronics back then, and a quick check at the Salvation Army Thrift store or Craigslist will get you a chunking beast of an amp for less than $100. They can be re-capped and repaired, if you have a good technician around, and if all else fails, you can always find another one...

\

So why buy a $40 amplifier, that doesn't even have a power cord? Curiosity more than anything else. I didn't know what to expect, and I have seen rave reviews for what FleaWatt Audio is doing with this chip. Some folks dismiss the whole idea as not worthy of any serious consideration. 

I am a cheap-skate by nature, and although $40 doesn't break the bank, I expected something that would sound like "a $40 amplifier". I was surprised as just how good it sounded right out of the box, with a recycled 12v 'wall-wort' power supply. I figured it was pumping out 12 watts per channel into 8 ohm speakers. So, I went ahead and ordered the 24v adapter, which seems to put out 30w per channel, if I am reading the Texas Instrument data sheet correctly.

Does it sound as good as a 1980s era receiver? It sounds different. Different is neither bad nor good, it is just a different sound. But that same could be said about the harman/kardon h/k330i vs. the Yamaha RX-135.

After two albums, do your ears hurt, or do you want to listen to two more?

I found it surprisingly bright and punchy, without distortion or "gritty" overtones.

Will it be the prime amplifier in my system? Probably not, but it is certainly good enough for a secondary system--like back in the bedroom, with the laptop and a Dragonfly USB DAC, and a pair of Polk bookshelf speakers.

It seems that Class-D amplifiers have caught on with the PA systems, where 90% efficiency and lightweight are a consideration. Yamaha is building them, which makes me ponder what the Grateful Dead's "Wall of Sound" would have been like with Class D amplifiers. They could have cut the number of semi-tractor-trailers from three to one during the 1974 tour.

nobsound.jpg

The answer is "no".

Sorry.

Here's the problem: switching noise. Class D amplification, currently, results in switching noise artifacts in the audio band. To defeat the switching artifacts, filtering can be used, but which ends up compromising the sound. In order to use filters that don't compromise the sound, switching has to occur at much higher frequencies than it does currently. Eventually, the technology will exist to make class D the go-to for audiophiles -- it's not here yet.

17 minutes ago, GUTB said:

The answer is "no".

Sorry.

Here's the problem: switching noise. Class D amplification, currently, results in switching noise artifacts in the audio band. To defeat the switching artifacts, filtering can be used, but which ends up compromising the sound. In order to use filters that don't compromise the sound, switching has to occur at much higher frequencies than it does currently. Eventually, the technology will exist to make class D the go-to for audiophiles -- it's not here yet.

Hmmm so a $40 chip amplifier with a $10 power supply is not good enough for the Audiophile, at least not yet..  I guess Yamaha has not got the memo... http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/poweramps/

7 minutes ago, bigbob said:

Hmmm so a $40 chip amplifier with a $10 power supply is not good enough for the Audiophile, at least not yet..  I guess Yamaha has not got the memo... http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/poweramps/

Similarly, Pioneer has been using class D amplification in its Elite line of receiver for 5+ years, and they get great reviews (and sound great - I have one).

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

26 minutes ago, GUTB said:

The answer is "no".

Sorry.

As for the tech not existing you are clearly wrong.  Just Google Bruno Putzeys.

Now what sound quality there is sub $1400, where very good amplifiers based on modules designed by Putzeys are available, I don't know.  But I can only applaud BigBob's quest to find sound he loves "on the cheap," and will follow with interest.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I used to hate Class D amps - never liked the sound. Then I heard some at a hifi show and was really shocked that I liked the sound. The design and implementation have evolved quite a bit. So I purchased them on the spot (with a full 30 day home trial). I think they're great and not just for the price. I still have my tube and solid state Class A amps. I still listen to those when the mood strikes (and it's really cold outside).