IGNORED

Novice stream control question

After some pretty basic errors, I have set up a BubbleUPNP OpenHome server on my MacMini which sees my JRMC server.  

I have found that both the BubbleUPNP and Linn Kazoo Android apps can control my server held music but also let me switch to and control Qobuz through my JRMC.  The Linn Kazoo has the further advantage that it has an OSX control app as well - which I can use when working on my MacBook.

Unfortunately, I have found some niggles with both the BubbleUPNP and Kazoo Android apps: the Kazoo frequently crashes (easy to restart, but annoying none the less), whereas the BubbleUPNP gives me some problems with gapless streaming (especially from Qobuz) + my partner says she finds the Bubble app to be less "user friendly".

My trawl of the internet has so far not come up with any alternatives to these two apps, which give both control of the server + streaming of Qobuz.  However, since I am quite possibly using the wrong search terms, as this server/streaming stuff is pretty new to me, can anyone recommend an Android app which is better than Bubble or Kazoo for what I am doing? (I do not have any IOS devices, so that is not an option).

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the trouble to answer this pretty novice enquiry.

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

The only other OpenHome controller app I know for Android, with online streaming services support, is BubbleDS Next. It's an OpenHome only, cut down version of the BubbleUPnP app, so should be a bit friendlier for your partner to use.

Not sure what gapless support issue is. It's the interaction between the BubbleUPnP Server's created OpenHome renderer and JRiver's built-in standard UPnP/DLNA renderer that manages gapless in that setup. So it shouldn't make any difference what OpenHome controller you're using.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps you are using the BubbleUPnP app as a standard UPnP/DLNA controller instead of an OpenHome one (it supports both), so controlling the JRiver renderer directly rather than via the BubbleUPnP Server. Perhaps the BubbleUPnP app's (standard UPnP) gapless support has been switched off in its settings or there's some issue with it controlling the JRiver renderer. Another consideration is that the BubbleUPnP Android app itself would be providing the connection to Qobuz and proxying its audio file track streams in standard UPnP controller 'mode', as opposed to BubbleUPnP Server's created OpenHome renderer running on the Mac Mini with the BubbleUPnP app in OpenHome 'mode'.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Cebolla - thanks for the feedback.  I had seen the cutdown version of Bubble, but had discounted it because it was cutdown.  However, I will get my partner to have a look at it and see if she likes the UI.

The Qobuz/Bubble issue is a strange one.  If I select a Qobuz album in Bubble to stream through JRMC, after about 4 or 5 tracks JRMC will repeat a track and thereafter every second track gets repeated. I must be using the OpenHome server, because I can see and control the playlist in Kazoo (which only sees the OpenHome server).  If I select the same album using Kazoo to send to the playlist, I get no repeating of track issue.  I also get no issue if I have Bubble gapless switched off, but I just get the expected buffering delay between each track.

I am sure it is something I have got wrong in the set up, so I will keep testing different settings.

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon