IGNORED

New Playback Designs Dream Series Quad DSD DAC and Digital Transport

Playback Designs has announced their new Dream Series products which include the MPD-8 DAC with Quad DSD playback ($22,000) and the MPT-8 Digital Music Transport ($14,000 - $22,000) which brings CD and SACD disc playback along with an optional music server to the Dream Series products.

The new Dream Series products will be shown in prototype form at the upcoming AXPONA and High End Munich audio shows in April and May 2017.

MPD-8_oblique.jpgPRESS-RELEASE-PBD-Dream-Series_MPT-8.jpg

http://positive-feedback.com/industry-news/playback-designs-dream-series-quad-dsd-dac-transport/

30 minutes ago, Keith_W said:

Much as I respect Andreas Koch, AND that I own a Playback Designs, this is absurd money. Good luck competing with DCS and MSB. 

Why? Their recent DAC and server separates got fantastic reviews. So selling an all I one source for that price doesn't seem odd to me. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

7 minutes ago, firedog said:

Why? Their recent DAC and server separates got fantastic reviews. So selling an all I one source for that price doesn't seem odd to me. 

Agreed.

It's also worth noting that several recording studios are now using the Playback Designs Pinot ADC in their DSD recording and mastering work.  So the interest will be there - both from serious home listeners and the pro market - when it comes to new products from Andreas Koch and Playback Designs. :)

1 hour ago, bmoura said:

Agreed.

It's also worth noting that several recording studios are now using the Playback Designs Pinot ADC in their DSD recording and mastering work.  So the interest will be there - both from serious home listeners and the pro market - when it comes to new products from Andreas Koch and Playback Designs. :)

In the past year I've auditioned many of the well regarded DACs under $10K. the PD Merlot was the best of the bunch, to my taste.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I guess as an existing PB customer, I want to continue buying their products. I bought an MPS-5 for AUD$17k a few years ago. At the time it was class leading - I auditioned it against MSB, EMM Labs, DCS, and Esoteric, and it came second only to DCS. Despite its eye watering price, it was clearly the best value, so I bought it. 

This new Dream series costs more and lacks a built-in transport. For me, the jury is out until I hear it. It has to completely blow away the competition to justify that kind of price if it is to meet the same value proposition as the MPS-5. I am not saying that it can't, it's just that I can't imagine it doing so. The DCS that costs slightly more is very, very stiff competition. 

• 1 year later...

Any news?

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

10 hours ago, bmoura said:

The Dream Series from Playback Designs is being demonstrated at AXPONA this weekend.  Followed by demos during High End Munich next month.

Brian,

can you please shed some light on whether it is possible to listen to these products in a set-up with speakers (not HPs only) at High End Munich?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)