IGNORED

Jay Z pulls music from Spotify

This is significant news.  Jay Z pulled all his studio albums from Spotify on 4/7, leaving only his collaborative material there. This was announced in Billboard.

Sadly, Spotify executive Chris Bevington (director of global strategic partnerships) was killed in the recent terrorist attack in Stockholm.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

In general I think streaming services that try to differentiate themselves based upon exclusive catalogues takes us in the wrong direction.  I don't want that to be the reason I choose either Spotify or Tidal. They should sell me on the quality of their service, user interface, platform, and music discovery.  I listen to a lot of different genres so if they all become fragmented, then it does not help me make a choice.  It is a net loss.

Yeah I didn't call this significant news because I care about Jay Z's music.  I can't stand it.  I listen to classical and jazz so I use Qobuz instead of TIDAL.

However, Jay Z is wildly popular even if we find that incomprehensible.  So his move to pull his material from Spotify is significant.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

9 hours ago, rickca said:

Yeah I didn't call this significant news because I care about Jay Z's music.  I can't stand it.  I listen to classical and jazz so I use Qobuz instead of TIDAL.

However, Jay Z is wildly popular even if we find that incomprehensible.  So his move to pull his material from Spotify is significant.

You make a good point. I think you are right to separate out the genre of Jay Z's music from the popularity and hence the impact in general of this move.

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

He's being a baby.  I'll be shocked if Tidal is still around in two years.  Now that MQA and Universal are in bed and Universal and Spotify have signed a deal, the writing is on the wall as to direction of streaming.  I mean, Spotify even pushed Sonos around so that they didn't have to be tied to Sonos's interface!  You can use Spotify Connect on Sonos!  That's leverage.  Look at any mainstream piece of electronics coming out today and they all tout Spotify Connect as a feature.  That's remarkable.

Here's current list of electronics that Spotify Connect works with so far....

https://www.spotifygear.com/

I mean, if you were to bet on one streaming service making it who would you choose?  (Maybe two....Pandora might still make it)

David

On 4/9/2017 at 10:35 PM, Booster MPS said:

In general I think streaming services that try to differentiate themselves based upon exclusive catalogues takes us in the wrong direction.  I don't want that to be the reason I choose either Spotify or Tidal. They should sell me on the quality of their service, user interface, platform, and music discovery.  I listen to a lot of different genres so if they all become fragmented, then it does not help me make a choice.  It is a net loss.

I agree 100%.

On 4/12/2017 at 10:45 AM, kirkmc said:

Yawn. 

Ah yes, any mention of entrepreneur Sean Carter and you can't help yourself :~)

On 4/20/2017 at 6:29 AM, eternaloptimist said:

Let me count how many Jay Z albums I have... Hmmmm... zero.

Would be nice if Tidal front page wasn't dominated by hip hop crap and had a broader spread of promoted genres. 

If Spotify streams lossless, then I think I will be saying farewell to Tidal. 

I have several Jay Z albums. his unplugged album is awesome. 

Even if Tidal offered a broader spread of genres on the front page, the chances of you liking that music are very minimal. I prefer to use Tidal like a library, where I search for what I want. I don't really care what it features on the front page. If the front page had personal recommendations like something from Pandora's gnome project, that would be awesome. But general recommendations don't do much for me.

49 minutes ago, realhifi said:

He's being a baby.  I'll be shocked if Tidal is still around in two years.  Now that MQA and Universal are in bed and Universal and Spotify have signed a deal, the writing is on the wall as to direction of streaming.  I mean, Spotify even pushed Sonos around so that they didn't have to be tied to Sonos's interface!  You can use Spotify Connect on Sonos!  That's leverage.  Look at any mainstream piece of electronics coming out today and they all tout Spotify Connect as a feature.  That's remarkable.

Here's current list of electronics that Spotify Connect works with so far....

https://www.spotifygear.com/

I mean, if you were to bet on one streaming service making it who would you choose?  (Maybe two....Pandora might still make it)

Most people said the same thing when Tidal launched. That it wouldn't be around. It's hard to believe T-Mobile and Sprint are still around, yet they are. Other services don't have to die just because one or two services are very popular. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 4/28/2017 at 1:19 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Most people said the same thing when Tidal launched. That it wouldn't be around. It's hard to believe T-Mobile and Sprint are still around, yet they are. Other services don't have to die just because one or two services are very popular. 

True enough. It's just me being grumpy at the thought of having to have more than one of these services. I'd like to whittle it down to Pandora and just one other service but the musical chairs of artists makes it difficult to pin down just one. I won't keep more than one of them in the near future and I'll bet I am FAR from the only one. The media consuming public is tiring quickly of the number of subscriptions they "need" and my point was simply that some may not survive. 

David

2 hours ago, realhifi said:

True enough. It's just me being grumpy at the thought of having to have more than one of these services. I'd like to whittle it down to Pandora and just one other service but the musical chairs of artists makes it difficult to pin down just one. I won't keep more than one of them in the near future and I'll bet I am FAR from the only one. The media consuming public is tiring quickly of the number of subscriptions they "need" and my point was simply that some may not survive. 

I've never understood the model of Pandora - it just seems to play music at random, like a radio station - is that what people really want?  Certainly not I :(

I subscribe to Tidal (my primary source), Qobuz (for great deals on downloads more than streaming, really), Spotify (the free tier, but will probably step up to a paid subscription if they ever go lossless / hi-res), and Apple Music (for additional coverage, but considering dropping it).  In all cases, the attraction is to be able to stream and / or download complete albums, as many as I want, and keep them as long as I want.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

24 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

I've never understood the model of Pandora - it just seems to play music at random, like a radio station - is that what people really want?  Certainly not I :(

I subscribe to Tidal (my primary source), Qobuz (for great deals on downloads more than streaming, really), Spotify (the free tier, but will probably step up to a paid subscription if they ever go lossless / hi-res), and Apple Music (for additional coverage, but considering dropping it).  In all cases, the attraction is to be able to stream and / or download complete albums, as many as I want, and keep them as long as I want.

I love Pandora for music discovery. Their Music Genome Project algorithms continue to surprise me. With the launch of their Premium tier recently came the ability to play albums/songs on demand .. finally. I look forward to seeing/hearing what they can do with high-res in the future.

On 20/4/2017 at 1:29 PM, eternaloptimist said:

Let me count how many Jay Z albums I have... Hmmmm... zero.

Would be nice if Tidal front page wasn't dominated by hip hop crap and had a broader spread of promoted genres. 

If Spotify streams lossless, then I think I will be saying farewell to Tidal. 

I agree but sadly here Tidal is the only to stream HD music (and now master quality on Pc). So , by now, I changed my mind about Tidal and I'm happy with it.

.... waiting for qobutz...

8 hours ago, jhwalker said:

I work with a large variety of clients in supplying A/V systems along with home automation and by FAR the number one service (besides actual radio broadcasts) is Pandora.  Apple Music is making inroads and certainly Spotify has come into the public eye through news and their sheer will at being embedded in practically every A/V product that is currently being manufactured. Trust me, people want the radio experience. You would not believe how many people don't even know that internet radio is available to them and when shown that and then introduced to Pandora, a service that you can curate (more or less) your own station according to your tastes they are in ecstasy. 

David

48 minutes ago, realhifi said:

I work with a large variety of clients in supplying A/V systems along with home automation and by FAR the number one service (besides actual radio broadcasts) is Pandora.  Apple Music is making inroads and certainly Spotify has come into the public eye through news and their sheer will at being embedded in practically every A/V product that is currently being manufactured. Trust me, people want the radio experience. You would not believe how many people don't even know that internet radio is available to them and when shown that and then introduced to Pandora, a service that you can curate (more or less) your own station according to your tastes they are in ecstasy. 

I don't get it, but whatever - horses for courses.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

2 hours ago, realhifi said:

It really does not resonate with audiophiles, but a lot of people simply "want some music on in the background" and Pandora more than meets that need.  It's not about listening.

13 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don't understand why so many people have such a big issue with the music featured on the front page of Tidal. It isn't like your life would change drastically if a variety of music was featured. In fact, I'm willing to bet most people who complain don't get much out of the Tidal genre browsing features. If they use them at all. 

The only curation I'd like to see is something based on Pandora's gnome project that shows me music I've never played in the past. 

I'm with you. Frankly, I can't even remember what the front page looks like. I search a TIDAL for specific genre and to explore /pursue new interests. I'm generally not lured by front pages.

Music Server(s): Aurender N100H, Digital to Analog Converter(s): Audio Research DAC 8, Digital to Digital Converter: Bryston BUC-1, Preamplifier: Ayre K-5xeMP, Amplifier(s): Ayre V-5xe, Loudspeakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Cardas Clear, Bryston AES/EBU, Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber PR8, Miscellaneous: Oppo BDP 95 disk player, CJ Walker turntable Jelco SA-750D tone arm, Ortofon 2M black cartridge, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Dream System: I've got it!, Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS500e, Headphone Amplifier(s):Graham Slee Novo

• 2 weeks later...

If you think this is insignificant because you can't stand Jay Z, check this out

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/jay-z-signs-10-year-touring-deal-with-live-nation-reportedly-worth-200-million-2017-05-11 

• 4 weeks later...

This is interesting.  Taylor Swift is returning to streaming services like Pandora, Spotify and TIDAL.  No more Apple exclusivity.

Spotify financials.  Total subscribers up 38%, net loss more than doubles!

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/as-spotify-prepares-for-an-ipo-its-financials-show-growing-losses-2017-06-15