IGNORED

What are the best passive speakers with $20000-$30000 budget

I am with you on room aesthetics, but there are some room treatments that are designed to look like art prints.

Also, a fake Ficus plant of bamboo will act like a diffusor at higher freq.s - not sure if very effective however.

I have not tried them myself as I prefer to figure out what's going on before just randomly buying & trying stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

I would not want to talk you out of getting any Salk design. I had 3 pairs in my house at one time including the SS8s. They were wonderful for me and Jim Salk is the best person I have ever dealt with in the audio scene.  I recently heard some 40,000 dollar(used) Wilson something, and yes they looked like they were going to attack me, but the sound from them was in a different league than the Salk. I'm not sure if i'd choose the Wilsons over the Salks to be my daily drivers but they were really special. I have completely going a different direction with high efficiency and low powered amps but your search sounds exciting. good luck!

On 4/6/2017 at 6:07 PM, Silly goose said:

Thanks I'll check them out. I'm going to do a country wide tour visiting speaker factories and auditioning right in their showrooms. This is why they must be made in the USA. Well that and I like to support American companies. 

What about Canadian companies?

On 4/28/2017 at 3:42 PM, Ralf11 said:

you try the Carver Amazingly Expensive Line Source speakers...

Having auditioned these under both less than ideal, and also optimum conditions, I honestly do not find them overly expensive for what they deliver. If I were looking in the $15-25K range, these would be under serious consideration! Superb support too. 

JC

So far everything mentioned has been fantastic suggestions. Tyler Acoustics would be another one. I used to have a set of the Taylo Reference Monitor and the optional bass units that had 4 8" drivers in each of the bass units. Even without the bass units attached, they still had a nice sound to them and if you can find them on the used market, even better.  I know he is making new version of them but, I have not gotten my ears on them and also do not know if they are using the same components.  I have also read some good reviews on his H4's but again, I have not gotten my ears on them.

As said in other replies, Salk makes some fantastic stuff! 

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

How about Martin Logan? They are based in Kansas, although I believe some manufacturing is done in Canada. The Renaissance model is their brand new top of the line hybrid electrostatic. It would look great in a family room setting like you describe, and it probably sounds terrific.