IGNORED

What are the best passive speakers with $20000-$30000 budget

23 hours ago, Silly goose said:

Yes I've been researching his work heavily over the last couple days. I'm extremely impressed with what I've read and seen pictures of. Seems like a genuine salt of the earth guy, running a solid business to me. 

You're dead on. Jim is a great guy. Your trip there will not be wasted. Even beyond the quality of the speakers, the cabinet work alone will astound you. No one offers anything like it.

JC 

10 hours ago, peabreu said:

Not familiar with the Salk's. Also in that price range if you have the space Avantgard horns are amazing.

You're right about the Avantgarde's being amazing, however, they are a very different animal. You noted the potential size issue (they are about the size of refrigerators). In addition, these are ultra high efficiency speakers that require very high quality SET, or other low voltage amplifiers (also a major expense). I'm not sure if the OP wishes to build an entirely new system simply due to specialty speakers?

JC

Thanks guys. I'm kinda a fan of slim floor-standers. Dual 7's or 8's for woofers, with an incredible mid range and tweeter. I'm not a big ported speaker fan either. I  prefer passive radiator, transmission line or sealed. Jim Salk seems to be on the same page in that department as well. 

8 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

if 'slim' is important, do not listen to the Maggies - you'll be torn apart with angst

I like the Maggie's but I was referring to the slim width, not depth. My listening room is just going to be a casual place where family and friends hang out. I'm not going to be using room treatment or anything besides an area rug and plants. All I want for audio gear in the room is 2 speakers and an Ipad for control. 

3 hours ago, Silly goose said:

Thanks guys. I'm kinda a fan of slim floor-standers. Dual 7's or 8's for woofers, with an incredible mid range and tweeter. I'm not a big ported speaker fan either. I  prefer passive radiator, transmission line or sealed. Jim Salk seems to be on the same page in that department as well. 

Your description sounds like PMC floorstanders. Passives and actives. Excellent speakers. Check them out.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

6 hours ago, firedog said:

Your description sounds like PMC floorstanders. Passives and actives. Excellent speakers. Check them out.

Yeah I've heard PMC's and great speakers.

I think in order to get my dream speakers, it's going to need to be a custom build. I think Salk could probably build at least as good of active speakers as these other guys who want $40000, for much cheaper. I'm going to see if they can build me active speakers with Ravenna inputs. I'm thinking of a 4 way with all Accuton drivers, a very slim front baffle with dual 5" midwoofers, with diamond mid and tweeter. Then dual side firing 8" woofers in a sealed enclosure. 

Building custom speakers is what Salk does. They are no stranger to building speaker cabinets properly. Accuton drivers are made to work together in perfect synergy. As long as the cabinets are built to the proper volume, have substantial rigidity, and the drivers are placed properly on a well designed baffle, the DSP crossover will do the rest. I understand back in the days of passive crossovers, it was very limiting for custom designs. This is because like you said it  can take months tuning the passive networks to get them just right. But with the latest active technology, You can continue tuning without any hardware change at all. This is how Dynaudio can make significant model upgrades with firmware alone. For me this system topology makes much more sense, and is much less limiting than the old way to do things. 

13 hours ago, Silly goose said:

I like the Maggie's but I was referring to the slim width, not depth. My listening room is just going to be a casual place where family and friends hang out. I'm not going to be using room treatment or anything besides an area rug and plants. All I want for audio gear in the room is 2 speakers and an Ipad for control. 

the angst will come from the high SQ banging against the very wide & tall panel sitting there like an omnious black monolith

Accuton even has their own DSP crossover system now:

http://www.accuton.com/en/products/elektronik/

Seeing how Accuton is so anal about perfection, I can't see it being too horrible. They also work together with Marten, so they know what their drivers sound like in the top passive systems. 

Sorry folks but I think it's time to face the facts that this is the future of high end audio. Not cable and box systems. 

On 4/6/2017 at 11:02 PM, sedest said:

Vandersteen

Models in the OP's price range have powered subwoofers - does that qualify as "passive"?

I prefer Vandersteen over Wilson. Wilson's are great but I think they are a bit colored (mid-bass bump) and are a poor value relative to others, especially Vandersteen. I have mixed feelings about the powered subwoofers on the pricier Vandersteens but have to admit the 7s are among the very best speakers I've heard at any price. At a lower price point, I could happily live with the fully-passive Treo CTs and never look back.

The Thiel 3.7 was a great speaker but has sadly been discontinued. I've lost track of the Avalon line-up but they probably have something worth considering in this price category.

The OP specified US-built but I would consider Vivid in this price category.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

1 hour ago, Silly goose said:

Accuton even has their own DSP crossover system now:

http://www.accuton.com/en/products/elektronik/

Seeing how Accuton is so anal about perfection, I can't see it being too horrible. They also work together with Marten, so they know what their drivers sound like in the top passive systems. 

Sorry folks but I think it's time to face the facts that this is the future of high end audio. Not cable and box systems. 

The Accuton midrange produces some nasty breakup resonances (as all "hard" cones do) and should be used with care, not with a first-order crossover à la Marten:

616Marcofig5.jpg

http://www.stereophile.com/content/marten-coltrane-3-loudspeaker-measurements

FRQ.png

http://www.accuton.com/en/products/speakersystem/ceramic-driver/c168-6-990-neu-erstellen/

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

6 minutes ago, semente said:

The Accuton midrange produces some nasty breakup resonances (as all "hard" cones do) and should be used with care, not with a first-order crossover à la Marten:

616Marcofig5.jpg

http://www.stereophile.com/content/marten-coltrane-3-loudspeaker-measurements

FRQ.png

http://www.accuton.com/en/products/speakersystem/ceramic-driver/c168-6-990-neu-erstellen/

That won't be a problem with advanced DSP. All of that can be handled with perfect phase response, and nothing extra in the signal path. 

8 minutes ago, speavler said:

Von Schweikert Audio. 

Seems like only their lines targeted at peasant's are within this price range these days. For the VR series, $45000 gets you a floorstander with budget drivers. $60000 to start if you want Accuton's. That's one company who know's their market. 

8 minutes ago, Silly goose said:

Seems like only their lines targeted at peasant's are within this price range these days. For the VR series, $45000 gets you a floorstander with budget drivers. $60000 to start if you want Accuton's. 

yes they went ultra high-end some years ago.  I used to own a pair of their VR-4.5's.  But...made in America!  Other American-made speaker companies I have some experience with are Zu Audio, Tekton Design, and Spatial Audio.  These are more value-based offerings, though. 

Just now, speavler said:

yes they went ultra high-end some years ago.  I used to own a pair of their VR-4.5's.  But...made in America!  Other American-made speaker companies I have some experience with are Zu Audio, Tekton Design, and Spatial Audio.  These are more value-based offerings, though. 

The cabinets may be. But $45000 gets you Chinese drivers that cost under $800 for the entire lot at retail pricing! Wholesale probably half that. 

https://www.vonschweikert.com/vr-44-aktive

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2017 at 7:00 PM, Silly goose said:

I'm looking to audition a pile of top full range floor-standing speakers between the $20000-$30000 price range. They must be made in the USA. Any suggestions?

Yes... don't expect them to be amp independent for sound quality unless you also plan on auditioning with amps that cost more than the speaker.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system