IGNORED

Why doesn't MicroRendu have built-in I2S output?

Apologies in advance if this shows my ignorance.

I'm in the process of putting together a NAS-based all digital source for my 2-channel system.

Plan on a Synology NAS going to a MicroRendu feeding a Singer SU-1 to a Halo Spring.

Since the consensus seems to be that the I2S input to the Halo Spring is the "best" input,

why doesn't the MicroRendu have USB & I2S outputs?

It seems it would have simplified the connection chain greatly.

I can also see that it would have made the MicroRendu more complicated and expensive given the theories

about the issues with the USB protocol and audio data transmission.

I just have an inherent belief that the fewer devices\connections in the signal chain the better.

Trust me, I'm not criticizing Sonore or anything of that nature.

I'm just trying to educate myself and better understand the intricacies of digital-based audio.

I'll take a stab. I2S was developed by Philips as a way to move digital signals inside a cd player and maybe whatever other digital equipment existed at the time. They never intended it to be anything else. 

Some high end manufacturers along the way thought it would be better than spdif so they started using it but almost always as a way to connect their transports to their dacs. 

As such everyone used their own physical system. I think I've seen three or four different implementations  over the years.There is no standard so what works for you and your Halo won't work for the guy down the street. 

Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Steve

16 hours ago, Milt99 said:

Since the consensus seems to be that the I2S input to the Halo Spring is the "best" input,

I guess Sonore doesn't want any "cannibalism" between the µRendu and the Signature Rendu.

Signature Series Rendu

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

56 minutes ago, CrushingIt said:

I'll take a stab. I2S was developed by Philips as a way to move digital signals inside a cd player and maybe whatever other digital equipment existed at the time. They never intended it to be anything else. 

Some high end manufacturers along the way thought it would be better than spdif so they started using it but almost always as a way to connect their transports to their dacs. 

As such everyone used their own physical system. I think I've seen three or four different implementations  over the years.There is no standard so what works for you and your Halo won't work for the guy down the street. 

Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Steve

I2S is actually a standard: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I²S

There are others such as EIAJ, but i2s seems to have risen to the top in PCM. The "other" i2s would be balanced, coined LVDS, and this is what confuses people as there is no standard way of doing this that I am aware of. Manufactures seem to have differing methods of using the HDMI cabling.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Thanks for the replies.

Sincerely, much appreciated.

I did do some research prior to my post and yes, I2S was originally designed for trace circuits on PCB.

Like I said originally, I'm trying to educate myself on the various transfer protocols for digital transmission.

I have no personal experience\education or bias on what is "the" best method if there is such a thing.

As Emil Faber said, "Knowledge is Good. That's all I'm seeking.

Again, I do appreciate the responses and look to learn more.

You guys have helped a lot.

On 3/31/2017 at 0:33 PM, plissken said:

Isn't I2S inherently, and specifically designed, for short haul PCB traces and the like? It's a chip to chip interface. 

Yes, that's why the right way to "transport" that signal externally between two boxes is with balanced differential lines--LVDS (low voltage differential signaling).  Of course that then requires driver/receiver chips at both ends.

And as we have pointed out before, almost nobody really does the clocking ideally--which would be for the DAC to send its master clock out to slave the source.  As it is presently, the source (say an external USB>I2S box) has to have really good clocks because those generally become the master (other than in DACs that asynchronously recheck everything anyway).

I have found one instance in which this is a good thing:  The Singxer SU-1 converter has much better clocks (the lovely ultra-low-phase-noise Crystek CCHD-575) than the Holo Spring DAC I am using, and only via the I2S connection do those good clocks take over as master.  The improvement is quite worthwhile.

But in the end we are all better off having the conversion from Ethernet or USB to I2S/DSD take place on an input board inside the DAC--again with the DAC's good clocks being the master.

Sorry if this is all off-topic to the microRendu's output.  John already covered that definitively just above.

To the OP and others, it's "Holo" not "Halo".

The microRendu was a brand new USB implementation from the ground floor up, with the help of folks like John, Alex, Barrows, etc.  It includes several playback modes and makes networking your computer audio signal chain fairly simple.  If you want I2S then go the Signature Rendu route, or the SIngxer SU-1 (while still using the microRendu as the USB vehicle and NAA).  As Alex points out, the Su-1 gives you better clocking, which should improve over Holo's USB input.  I have done some A-B'ing this weekend (since I got the SU-1 firmware to do DSD512, albeit not with the microRendu right now) and the preliminary results are that the Singxer via I2S slightly improves on all sample and bit rates, including DSD512.  YMMV.

On 3/30/2017 at 8:03 PM, Milt99 said:

You could ask why it doesn't have a AES or SPDIF output as well. 

A device is tailored to a configuration and a price point. Plus adding more options increases the device's complexity and possibly reduces the sound quality.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

No, as pointed out in numerous other postings, the firmware is in early beta, is not intended to work for anything but the Holo, and will be released when handshakes to other players (like Roon) get fixed.

11 hours ago, ted_b said:

To the OP and others, it's "Holo" not "Halo".

The microRendu was a brand new USB implementation from the ground floor up, with the help of folks like John, Alex, Barrows, etc.  It includes several playback modes and makes networking your computer audio signal chain fairly simple.  If you want I2S then go the Signature Rendu route, or the SIngxer SU-1 (while still using the microRendu as the USB vehicle and NAA).  As Alex points out, the Su-1 gives you better clocking, which should improve over Holo's USB input.  I have done some A-B'ing this weekend (since I got the SU-1 firmware to do DSD512, albeit not with the microRendu right now) and the preliminary results are that the Singxer via I2S slightly improves on all sample and bit rates, including DSD512.  YMMV.

Awesome Ted!  Though a bit surprised at only "slightly improves".  I guess it shows we're doing a pretty decent job of cleaning up the USB signal.

11 hours ago, ted_b said:

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

ted_b, yes Halo was a typo on my part. I tried to correct it but the edit timeout occurred before I noticed it.

I do well realize that almost all implementations contain compromises and design goals except when you get into the stratosphere of price and even then decisions are driven by design philosophy.

From my readings about various transport methods over the years, many experts extolled the virtues of I2S and

I greatly appreciate the clear explanations of the aspects and realities of this.

16 minutes ago, Forehaven said:

Awesome Ted!  Though a bit surprised at only "slightly improves".  I guess it shows we're doing a pretty decent job of cleaning up the USB signal.

Chris,

My results are preliminary and involve some other things I'm doing.  Once I get the variables eliminated (except for USB vs I2S) I will be in a better place.  However, "slightly improved" is a good win, as we've done a hell of a lot to think we can ask for huge shifts in qualitative sq.  I am excited about "slightly".  :)

11 hours ago, davide256 said:

I suspect USB3 would be a far better hardware change for any generation 2 microrendu. i2s is a definite minority for hardware in market, even my inexpensive iFi Nano has a USB3 input

I'm not quite sure why USB3 would be any better. USB3 includes all the lower lower speeds in addition to super speed. The "old" high speed is fast enough to handle anything audio needs, so there is no need to use Super Speed. It actually makes many things worse. Anything about cables and such are much worse at super speed, the packet nature is even worse.

There are only really two advantages to USB3, super speed uses two unidirectional pairs, which makes isolation VASTLY easier, and USB3 supports more current over the VBUS, thus it can support a VBUS powered DAC which uses more than 0.5A.

No DACs yet use super speed so there is no advantage for any source to support super speed. In a DAC super speed USB devices use significantly more current than high speed devices, thus noise from the packets nature of USB audio will be much worse.

Now it turns out that the high speed section of some USB3 chips actually sounds better than some USB2 only chips, that is an implementation detail of the high speed circuitry in the USB3 chip rather than an inherent advantage of USB3.

BTW all USB3 chips have two completely separate sections, the super speed section and the everything else section. When you use such a chip in high speed mode the super speed section is turned off and the everything else section handles the high speed protocol.

John S.

Darn good point Ted.  We really have come a long way...better USB signal (Intona), Galv Isol. (MicroRendu), cleaner power (LPS-1) and of course, the fiber implementation.  Throw in the SU-1 to achieve a I2S...so I agree, I'll take 'slightly' now anyday ;)

Great explanation John on USB 3 benefits/limitations.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

8 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I'm not quite sure why USB3 would be any better. USB3 includes all the lower lower speeds in addition to super speed. The "old" high speed is fast enough to handle anything audio needs, so there is no need to use Super Speed. It actually makes many things worse. Anything about cables and such are much worse at super speed, the packet nature is even worse.

There are only really two advantages to USB3, super speed uses two unidirectional pairs, which makes isolation VASTLY easier, and USB3 supports more current over the VBUS, thus it can support a VBUS powered DAC which uses more than 0.5A.

No DACs yet use super speed so there is no advantage for any source to support super speed. In a DAC super speed USB devices use significantly more current than high speed devices, thus noise from the packets nature of USB audio will be much worse.

Now it turns out that the high speed section of some USB3 chips actually sounds better than some USB2 only chips, that is an implementation detail of the high speed circuitry in the USB3 chip rather than an inherent advantage of USB3.

BTW all USB3 chips have two completely separate sections, the super speed section and the everything else section. When you use such a chip in high speed mode the super speed section is turned off and the everything else section handles the high speed protocol.

John S.

In my former hat as a product manager I don't see a long market future for USB2 only devices. USB3 will continue to improve, no one will spend a dime on USB2 improvement.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system