IGNORED

The Last Audio Cassette Factory

Thanks for posting this.  Lately, I have been diving down the rabbit hole of some obscure electronica and much of what I would like to hear is only available on "limited edition cassettes".  I will never go down this path, but now I know where these anachronism's are being produced... :) 

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

I didn't realize cassettes were a 'thing' now, but I guess if you didn't grow up pulling mangled cassettes out of your in-dash and throwing them out your car window while trying not to spill your beer... then I guess cassettes might seem pretty cool :S

I do like the concept of bands distributing promotional cassettes better than USB sticks or SD cards or even CDs.  Even if you don't rush out and buy a cassette player, a cassette tape makes for a much cooler memento from your favorite band to put on your shelf than a memory stick or card or disc.

18 hours ago, new_media said:

I'm at Urban Outfitters with my daughter, and they actually have a cassette Walkman for sale.

IMG_0225.JPG

Wow.  A cassette Walkman to go with my Betamax.  Life is good again.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

I still have a stash of top quality, unopened TDK and Maxell metal tapes.  They are going sometimes for $10 each.  So what say you?  Should I sell now, or will the fad drive up the price further?  I also have some of the last Fuji Metal tapes which lack the rep, but actually perform superbly. 

Sounds pretty good until I realize that inflation adjusted I probably will only break even on the deal.  Of course a few years ago I would have taken $2 each and been happy to do so.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

22 hours ago, esldude said:

I still have a stash of top quality, unopened TDK and Maxell metal tapes.  They are going sometimes for $10 each.  So what say you?  Should I sell now, or will the fad drive up the price further?  I also have some of the last Fuji Metal tapes which lack the rep, but actually perform superbly. 

Sounds pretty good until I realize that inflation adjusted I probably will only break even on the deal.  Of course a few years ago I would have taken $2 each and been happy to do so.

My guess is that taking the $10.00 per tape now would be a wise choice. I don't honestly see cassettes making a significant comeback, not even to the degree vinyl has (overhyped as it may be). 

JC