IGNORED

Just got a Yggdrasil!

27 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

I now have the Yggy and have played master files of tracks I was there during the recording and mixing process and couldn't disagree any more strongly with Mani.

Happy to agree to disagree with our respective subjective evaluations of the Yggy.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

2 hours ago, manisandher said:

Auralic seem to have made better ones ;)

Mani.

I currently have an Auralic Aries in house for evaluation, and I don't think it's on-board DAC sounds all that good. Like most low-end DACs it sounds OK, but for my money, the Yggy blows it out of the water. Let me share this anecdote with you: Back in the early 1960's I bought an LP of Ormandy/Philadelphia playing some short Scandinavian pieces: Grieg, Hugo Alfen, Sibelius, etc. On it was the best performance of Finlandia that I had ever heard. It remains the only recording of this work (that I know of) that includes a choir (Mormon Tabernacle) along with the orchestra. I love the effect with the singers, but with the record, I was never able to make out most of the lyrics. When digital came along, I waited patiently for these performances to come out on CD. Well it took decades, but finally about 2 years ago, Sony released these performances on CD and I bought it. Imagine my chagrin when I found out that I still couldn't make out the chorus' lyrics with any DAC I tried! Well, after the Yggy settled-in for a week, I tried this Finlandia rendition again. For the first time, I can parse the lyrics from just listening to the CD. To me that's impressive and speaks volumes about the performance of the Schiit Yggdrasil! 

George

4 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Let me share this anecdote with you...

Thanks for sharing. I'm genuinely pleased for you. I hope you accept that I'm being totally sincere here.

I had the Yggy on home loan because I was thinking of buying one for my office system. You see, I wanted to go the Roon/microRendu route in my office, but the DAC I had there was incompatible with the microRendu, hence my interest in the Yggy. (I did buy a microRendu, and an LPS-1 too, but have recently sold both because I've found a substantially better-sounding Roon solution for my office.) I didn't like the sonic signature of the Yggy and it seems a few people got upset when I started speculating why, going on to accuse me of all sorts of absurd things. Some crazy people in this hobby of ours! (But you don't seem to come across as one.)

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

Have noticed a tendency for users to rate down each other's posts if they're arguing, as "tit for tat."...

I've given your post a 'like' :).

Mani.

2 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Especially that "filter" he had his buddy do that "Proved" the glitch could be heard.

The filter didn't prove anything.

Mani.

47 minutes ago, manisandher said:

I've given your post a 'like' :).

Mani.

Was hoping SR would too, but maybe he doesn't like the Simpsons. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

47 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Was that before or after you "disliked" a bunch (or is it all?) his posts in this thread?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 minute ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

+1

Besides, we need USB for DSD.

There is actually SDIF (not SPDIF) for DSD, but it's not common.

2 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

More than that, I believe it's proprietary (?)

Whenever the search function for the forum is up to it, you can see posts from people who had SDIF-3 inputs built for them in order to play DSD files.

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thank you (and apologies for not checking out the search function more thoroughly myself before posting).