IGNORED

Just got a Yggdrasil!

Delta-sigma DACs are DSD natives, they have to do mess with PCM before they can convert it.

R2R DACs are PCM natives, they need to go through hoops to handle DSD.

Most DACs people use to are delta-sigma, so no surprise that other things being equal they do better with DSD. It does not follow that DSD is also better for R2R DACs, in fact I'd be kind of surprised it were given the (lossy) contortions needed. I own a Yggy (R2R) and I have a Holo Spring level 3 on order (also R2R, but very different design from the Yggy). The Holo Spring process DSD, but reviewers have uniformly preferred its NOS PCM mode.

I mentioned the Yggy's zero-crossing glitching a while ago. And I personally didn't like the way it sounded compared to my regular DAC - I still have the digital captures of the Yggy's analogue output that clearly demonstrate that the Yggy changes the sound of the original files in a way that my regular DAC doesn't.

JA's measurements weren't very complimentary either. He finished his review with this:

While the processor's analog circuitry is superbly well designed, its digital circuitry appears to have problems with high-level, high-frequency tones, and with the LSBs of 24-bit data. It's possible, of course, that the former will be rare with music, and that the latter will be obscured by the noise floors of recordings. But it does look as if the digital circuitry is not fully optimized.

[Highlights mine.]

My feeling was that these shortcomings were indeed audible. But many (most?) Yggy owners love the way it sounds...

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

25 minutes ago, manisandher said:

What parts of my post were crap?

That the Yggy has zero-crossing glitching distortion?

That I personally didn't like the sound of the Yggy when I had it here for a few weeks?

That the Yggy has problems with high level, high frequency tones?

That the Yggy has problems with the LSBs of 24-bit data?

You don't have to get all upset just because my opinion of the Yggy is different to yours.

Mani.

I see one thing on that list that is right. That you don't like the sound of an Yggy.

53 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

I see one thing on that list that is right. That you don't like the sound of an Yggy.

Only one thing? Well, let's have a closer look then. Let's compare the performance of the Yggy with the Auralic Altair, a considerably cheaper DAC.

1. Yggy vs. Altair 19.1kHz -4dBFS white noise

58dce3025f747_1.Yggyvs.Altair19.1kHz-4dBFSwhitenoise.thumb.jpg.f2e2b11aa47e8d5173e5f5ad2cb2072e.jpg

2. Yggy vs. Altair 1kHz -90dBFS noise

58dce345ba2d4_2.Yggyvs.Altair1kHz-90dBFSnoise.thumb.jpg.d62ab51f4295874be54c9af5793d14f5.jpg

3. Yggy vs. Altair 1kHz -90.31dBFS undithered

58dce371c4ab5_3.Yggyvs.Altair1kHz-90.31dBFSundithered.thumb.jpg.7106e95884daf8e8d56e50f4c0fb4d6e.jpg

4. Yggy 50Hz -10dBFS into 600 ohms vs. Altair 50Hz 0dBFS into 600 ohms

This one's interesting - the Yggy's output had to be reduced due to severe clipping!

58dce3e9a0263_4.Yggy50Hz-10dBFSinto600ohmsvs.Altair50Hz0dBFSinto600ohms.thumb.jpg.eb4729b8c0e5e365e0f8ce94b254e3c8.jpg

5. Yggy vs. Altair 19+20kHz 0dBFS into 100k ohms

58dce4150909e_5.Yggyvs.Altair1920kHz0dBFSinto100kohms.thumb.jpg.b3aa0354ce98ed6f6835777309d9e416.jpg

6. Yggy vs. Altair 11.025kHz -6dBFS

58dce43274405_6.Yggyvs.Altair11.025kHz-6dBFS.thumb.jpg.a77252878b2ee7761362cf482ae90634.jpg

If anything, I think GUTB's "ouch" was understated. Everything I stated in my earlier post was factually correct.

I have nothing against Schiit. I've only tried one of their products, the Yggy. Didn't like what I heard. Looked into it. Found the engineering wanting. Nothing more, nothing less.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

12 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

Mike came back and told me this:

"Two phase halves summed yield an extra 6 db (1 Bit) of resolution."

So there is the 21st bit for Yggy and the 19th bit for Gumby!

http://m.electronicdesign.com/analog/when-1-1-3-db-averaging-adc-channels-improve-nsd

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

6 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

I have to laugh. You realize that is an SNR of 158.28.....if you believe that number, I have a bridge I well sell you, cheap!

Yes, but please realize that is exactly the same theoretical max calculation (individual chip bits plus extra for summing multiple balanced channels) from which the Yggdrasil 21 bit figure is derived.  So whatever the actual Yggy noise floor/dynamic range figure is in real world measurements, the simple 21-bit calculation doesn't give you that answer.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

6 hours ago, gmgraves said:

SPDIF and AES/EBU sound better than USB, anyway.

As always, this depends on individual implementations.  USB can obtain lower jitter numbers, SPDIF doesn't have to deal with data packets, power conductor in the cable, etc.  Specific implementations deal with these disadvantages more or less successfully.

7 hours ago, earnmyturns said:

Delta-sigma DACs are DSD natives, they have to do mess with PCM before they can convert it.

R2R DACs are PCM natives, they need to go through hoops to handle DSD.

Most DACs people use to are delta-sigma, so no surprise that other things being equal they do better with DSD. It does not follow that DSD is also better for R2R DACs, in fact I'd be kind of surprised it were given the (lossy) contortions needed. I own a Yggy (R2R) and I have a Holo Spring level 3 on order (also R2R, but very different design from the Yggy). The Holo Spring process DSD, but reviewers have uniformly preferred its NOS PCM mode.

Be sure to write a review/comparison when you have a chance to!

Anyone else compare these two side by side?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

9 hours ago, TubeLover said:

I had not previously heard about this. Is anyone aware of what John Atkinson was exactly referring to when he called the Yggdrasil "obsolete"? I have significant respect for John, and his ears, but that's a ludicrous statement at best. And please tell me it wasn't associated with lacking MQA compatability because that would deserve a term beyond ludicrous.

JC

Such a statement has likely been good for business for both parties. There's no such thing as bad press, unless your Bill Cosby or Michael Richards. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 hours ago, gmgraves said:

SPDIF and AES/EBU sound better than USB, anyway.

2 hours ago, Jud said:

As always, this depends on individual implementations.  USB can obtain lower jitter numbers, SPDIF doesn't have to deal with data packets, power conductor in the cable, etc.  Specific implementations deal with these disadvantages more or less successfully.

I found AES to be the best Yggy interface. I unequivicolly love this DAC. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I think people suggesting the Yggy has engineering or design flaws are really overreaching. If you were present during the design discussions, I would be more apt to listen to you. However, every design has trade offs. What's gained or given up for each decision. 

Everything in the Yggy is by design and it's one of my favorite DACs. To me, they made great trade offs. 

8 minutes ago, manisandher said:

Auralic seem to have made better ones ;)

Mani.

Perhaps "seem" is the key word.  I would not be surprised if the basic AKM chip in the $99 Schiit Modi (or the DAC in my cell phone, or the one in my budget AVR) had measurements that were much closer to the Auralic Altair than the Yggy.  Indeed, is not that one of the central accomplishments and strengths of relatively low priced chip based delta sigma dacs?

Yet, we don't usually claim that these trump everything else.

Look at me ma!  I am arguing from the subjectivist side of things!! :)

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

15 minutes ago, manisandher said:

Auralic seem to have made better ones ;)

Mani.

In terms of certain measurements and the listening preferences of some people, yes.  De gustibus non disputandem and all that.

Said in defense of both your preference for other DACs and information marshalled in support of same, and others' preference for Yggy and information marshalled in support of it.

23 minutes ago, Jud said:

In terms of certain measurements and the listening preferences of some people, yes.  De gustibus non disputandem and all that.

Hey Jud, you know I have a penchant for R2R DACs. I just prefer them to use chips designed specifically for audio, be able to accept the 24/705.6, and have decent measurements (at least an order of magnitude better than the Yggy).

Mani.

8 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

How so?

Because the Yggy has ended up with below par measured performance in many areas, and below par sound (to my ears). I think they made a massive mistake going for the DAC chips they did. But if you or others like the sound of it, that's fine.

I haven't heard the Altair, and probably wouldn't like it much because it uses an SDM chip. But at least its measured performance looks OK.

Mani.