IGNORED

Just got a Yggdrasil!

3 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

Multibit....not single-bit.

Once you get your Yggdrasil burned-in, it only take about 48 hours to get it to a thermally stable state from cold.

Yeah, my bad WRT the multi-bit/single bit business. Thanks for the correction. I don't know what I was thinking :)

Electronics of that type don't "burn-in" as in improving performance. Burn-in is only to weed out units that fail due to "infant mortality", The DAC does need to thermally stabilize, however. Even Mike Moffat says that. 

George

1 minute ago, gmgraves said:

Electronics of that type don't "burn-in" as in improving performance. Burn-in is only to weed out units that fail due to "infant mortality", The DAC does need to thermally stabilize, however. Even Mike Moffat says that. 

Well, there are plenty of people out there, including me from personal experience with my Yggdrasil, that would disagree with you!

It's widely reported that the Yggdrasil requires 7 days of burn-in, and then it should be left on at all times to avoid it having to re-gain optimal thermal equilibrium.

The Yggdrasil's AD5791BRUZ is low resolution but very accurate DAC chip. In conjunction with Schiit's closed-form filters and advanced clocking I could definitely see how it could be compelling.

37 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Well, there are plenty of people out there, including me from personal experience with my Yggdrasil, that would disagree with you!

Can you describe the mechanism, at the component level, for this "burn-in? What changes over the burn-in interval? I can understand thermal stabilization on a multi-bit Ladder (R2R) DAC. The values of the resistors in the ladder need to stabilize at their optimum resistance to minimize quantization error. Delta-Sigma DACs don't need this because they are single-bit over-sampled DACs. That's why most DAC units contain Delta-Sigma ICs. They are easier and cheaper to produce than are multi-bit R2R Dacs due to the precision required for the latter. 

1870Fig04.gif

Simplified block diagram of a Delta-Sigma DAC

George

Congrats! I ended up buying two of these. One for my HP rig and the other for my speaker system.

It has a wonderfully detailed and non-fatiguing sound. As others do I leave mine on all of the time.

I do not want to debate "burn-in" but mine sounded increasingly better for over a month before settling in at just plain great.

Let's just call it magic :-)

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

16 hours ago, GUTB said:

It's widely reported that the Yggdrasil requires 7 days of burn-in, and then it should be left on at all times to avoid it having to re-gain optimal thermal equilibrium.

The Yggdrasil's AD5791BRUZ is low resolution but very accurate DAC chip. In conjunction with Schiit's closed-form filters and advanced clocking I could definitely see how it could be compelling.

Advanced clocking depends; they don't do anything different with USB, and I haven't seen measurements for SPDIF.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

10 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

I am pretty sure that the AD5791 is considered a high resolution DAC chip.

In what way (I assume you don't mean mathematically - perhaps you do) is this a debate about "resolution"?  Do you mean the resolution of the analogue output (in that "sounds like" Hi-Fi review sort of way)?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

It's a 20-bit DAC in a 32-bit world. But more to the point, it doesn't support DSD or DXD.

Native DSD is very very good and DXD sounds amazing. A Yggdrasil owner will never get to enjoy those.

Also, high end DACs can resolve 24 bits of high definition audio...the Yggdrasil can't.

4 minutes ago, GUTB said:

It's a 20-bit DAC in a 32-bit world. But more to the point, it doesn't support DSD or DXD.

Native DSD is very very good and DXD sounds amazing. A Yggdrasil owner will never get to enjoy those.

Also, high end DACs can resolve 24 bits of high definition audio...the Yggdrasil can't.

The DAC designers I talk to all say they can get 20 bits and possibly 21 on a good day with the wind at their backs. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

33 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

What DACs have higher resolution than 21 bits? All the math is done at 32 bits and rounded down to 21 bits just before it is sent to the DAC chip.

It's rounded to 24 bits if at all.  21 bits has to do with dynamic range above the noise floor, not internal math.  21 bits is starting to get down into the thermal noise of the equipment.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just now, GUTB said:

The MSB V Diamond can do 26-bit for example.

They must have a hurricane at their backs, have a very abnormally high top output, or liquid nitrogen cooling.  Otherwise normal thermal noise would tend to swamp the lower bits of that claimed dynamic range.

13 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Since it and a $35,000 MSB Diamond V DAC sound pretty much identical, I'd say that it was more than just a "good buy" (I borrowed one over last weekend).

Considering the 7K MSB Analog is clearly superior to the Yggdrasil, it's surprising to hear that the Diamond V performs so poorly.