IGNORED

New CA Store

Go for it Chris!  

There are quite a few out there who have profited from the knowledge shared on CA.

No reason why you should not do the same. Of course some CA swag would be welcome!

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Yep.

Edit: Oh yeah, agree with Nikhil - schwag too.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - I'm looking for feedback. The new site features a Store section that's underutilized. I've received inquiries from dealers / manufacturers seeking to sell items in the store. 

What do you guys think? 

Should other items be available in the store?

All opinions welcome. 

Chris, from your standpoint I think it's a good idea providing you with still another revenue stream. OTOH, I'm a firm believer that buyers of high-end audio gear should listen to the equipment in which they are interested before buying it. That usually requires brick-and-mortar stores. Another on-line store is merely another nail in the coffin of audio salons. Now if you offer a return policy with a reasonable amount of time for a customer to audition a purchased piece of gear in their own systems, that would satisfy the requirement to listen to the gear before committing to it. 

George

16 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Chris, from your standpoint I think it's a good idea providing you with still another revenue stream. OTOH, I'm a firm believer that buyers of high-end audio gear should listen to the equipment in which they are interested before buying it. That usually requires brick-and-mortar stores. Another on-line store is merely another nail in the coffin of audio salons. Now if you offer a return policy with a reasonable amount of time for a customer to audition a purchased piece of gear in their own systems, that would satisfy the requirement to listen to the gear before committing to it. 

My guess is Chris isn't becoming an online dealer but would allow others to sell on the site.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Something you will want to think about: Can you write reviews of equipment being sold through the site, or even equipment from companies that sell through the site?

1 minute ago, Jud said:

Something you will want to think about: Can you write reviews of equipment being sold through the site, or even equipment from companies that sell through the site?

Well that depends on the manufacturer. Review samples rarely, if ever, come from vendors, they come either directly from the manufacturer or from the manufacturer's PR firm. 

George

I was thinking of something more basic: Obviously no division could be claimed between those benefiting from the sales through the site and those responsible for editorial content.  It's all Chris.

As long as it is clear for buyers that what they buy through the CA site doesn't make CA responsible for their (un)satisfaction, it's all fine.

My question is: what would make me go through the CA store rather than google what I'm looking for?

=> There has to be some kind of differentiation.

Hi Guys - Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm really open to using the Store any way that helps CA and the Community. 

Perhaps, it makes sense to keep the Buy / Sell forum for members of the Community and open the store for dealers and manufacturers to sell equipment? 

CA would never take a cut of sales between members of the Community, but maybe it makes sense to charge a fee to dealers and manufacturers to sell something in the Store?

I think this fee wouldn't be paid by the person purchasing the component and it would enable people to support CA by purchasing something through the site rather than elsewhere. Similar to how Amazon offers affiliate links giving a kickback to people who link to certain products without charging any more for the product. 

The main difference between buying in the CA Store and elsewhere, would be that you'd support CA if the item is purchased here. If one isn't interested in supporting CA, s/he can easily look elsewhere.

Opinions please.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris,

Not only You doing equipment reviews with full disclosure, but possibly involving some of the many of the forum participants in theses reviews. To me, this forum has a vast wealth of knowledge not to be used. I know the logistics could be a problem but hopefully doable.

Finding a bricks and mortar dealer, as described by gmgraves is a godsend.

I personally think the store should only be for swag unless of course Chris begins charging for his CAPS designs or develops computer audio related products.  If you would like to bring in some more income then why not work out some kind of affiliate marketing?

20 minutes ago, blownsi said:

I personally think the store should only be for swag unless of course Chris begins charging for his CAPS designs or develops computer audio related products.  If you would like to bring in some more income then why not work out some kind of affiliate marketing?

Thanks for the feedback.

This isn't all about bringing in more income. We now have the capability to do some things and I'm exploring the options. 

Affiliate marketing would be very similar to this with the exception of working with Amazon, eBay, and other places. I've never seen an affiliate program that isn't annoying to the reader (see Head-Fi.org). 

Do you know of any sites that use affiliate programs that you like?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

If it were possible to organise a group buy, especially for LPS, or another accessory where an audition is not that high on the list.

Hiresaudio has humble ads for Dacs that can be purchased directly, but for CA,  that's impractical,  given the wide and diverse locations for everyone, but direct links with an incentive of some kind wouldn't go astray only for CA members.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

40 minutes ago, One and a half said:

If it were possible to organise a group buy, especially for LPS, or another accessory where an audition is not that high on the list.

Hiresaudio has humble ads for Dacs that can be purchased directly, but for CA,  that's impractical,  given the wide and diverse locations for everyone, but direct links with an incentive of some kind wouldn't go astray only for CA members.

Group buys for small runs of parts/products that are DIY or customized to some extent (there was one organized for an LPS on CA some time ago) are something I'd like to see.  For example, just in the way of DIY DAC projects, @jabbr has a balanced DSC-1 DAC schematic up at DIY Audio that might be attractive to some people to build (particularly if we could organize a buy for a board already populated with surface mount parts, leaving some fairly easy DIY work to finish the DAC).  Or if @Miska comes up with plans for a DSC-2.  And of course there are plenty of other customizable/DIY things that could be done besides DACs.

1 hour ago, Bob Stern said:

I prefer my schwag mit schlag (bitte).

Wouldn't whipped cream stain the T-shirts?

Speaking of swag, I am researching fulfillment houses right now. I just don't have time to pack and ship stuff, especially overseas when customs paper work has to be completed. 

Hopefully I can find a good place to handle it.

P.S. The 10th anniversary of CA's launch is approaching in November. I have some special swag in mind for the occasion :~)