IGNORED

LKS AUDIO MH-DA004

On 8/4/2017 at 0:12 PM, MINORISUKE said:

With the firmware 2002b and Linux kernel 4.11.12, I have just succeeded in playing up to DSD512 with Gustard DAC-X20 via I2S/DSD input (HDMI connector).  This means it should work also with MH-DA003/004 in case a correct connection via I2S/DSD is given.

MAC Audirvana is up to DSD256.  DSD512 is not highlighted in Preference.

https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd/issues/12

When you are playing a DSD512 track, does the Gustard display the correct rate on it's display, or does it show something else?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

MAC & DAC,

i just started looking at this MH-DA004.

you mentioned it is the best dac you have heard in your range...curious if you have ever tried the yggi or the gustardx20pro?

Also, do you know if the MH-DA004 has galvanic isolation?

Also, do you use the usb input or fibre? 

Thanks

Hi there

I haven't tried either of those DAC's, I'm afraid. FWIW, I will be comparing the 004 against the Chord Dave shortly. Plan is to do a blind test, to avoid as much as possible any bias.

The 004 doesn't have galvanic isolation on its USB board. This is an area where the modding community have had a focus recently. I may do something when I get time. But as the unit sounds very good OOTB, I'm not in any rush to play around.

I use the USB input. I don't use S/PDIF (or I2S). This is purely for convenience reasons.

Regards,

mac_and_dac

Front End: Neet Airstream

Digital Processing: Chord Hugo M-Scaler

DAC: Chord Dave

Amplification: Cyrus Mono x300 Signatures

Speakers: Kudos Titan T88

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

if my computer (asus vivo vm60) has both spdif and usb would there be any inconvenience or any pros or cons in using usb or spdif?

I used to use optical S/PDIF with my Raspberry Pi, primarily IIRC for galvanic isolation. The criticism is that the Toslink receivers can add jitter. But I heard only very good sounds. I don't know whether that is down to re-clocking at the chip level, I don't have that level of technical knowledge, I'm afraid. I can't speak for electrical S/PDIF, I've never tried it.

I find USB to be fine. I've not had a DAC that sounds harsh for a years, so I don't know what I would be listening out for. My hearing isn't super-senstive in any event. USB is the most convenient option for me these days. I was tempted to try the I2S on the 004, but got put off by an incompatiblity story I read on a HeadFi thread and so decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

Hi guys, first post here, I just got the 004 yesterday per positive feedbacks on this thread and also being in china myself its easy, so i decided to give it a go over my cambridge 840c that i must have bought for 10 years! Never too excited about computer audio (LPs was my main source), until i started experimenting Tidal and Hi-Res files on A+ since a couple of months ago, and was very pleasantly suprised on the SQ. I now use A+ 3.1 on Macbook air i7 playing tidal, both pcm and dsd files on an external drive and connecting 004 thru USB. So much to learn here. 

My problem is the 'auto-detection' mode on A+ doesn't seem to recognise between PCM and DSD. When I play a DSD file, the screen on 004 reads 'PCM..k' so it looks to me that the DSDs are being converted to PCMs by A+ before passing to 004, and that regardless of what file types they are all converted and fed to 004 in PCM? Does that mean for the DSD files, by being converted to PCMs they were actually 'diwngraded' in SQ in anyway? If I choose the 'PCM over DSD 1.x standard' modes, on the 004 display it saids 'DSD 64/128k'. 

question 1: to get the optimal SQ out of all the pcm and dsd files, should i still select 'auto detection mode'? Or I did not get the settings right somewhere?

question 2: in my setup, what are the particular settings i should be using? (Some of the settings on 004 will create white noise and I changed the bandwidth (dllp i think) settings to a higer value the problem goes away. 

question 3: on certain setting there are increased bavkground noise sometimes, and I have to turn on 'de-emphasis' to make them go away. On the 004 user manual this is not recommended, any thoughts here?

Thanks in advance, sorry about the mixed logic in my question as I yet has to figure out how these pcm/dsd stuff works. 

7 hours ago, helloharry said:

I am not an owner of MH-004A, but believe it uses Amanero combo384 USB-I2S/DSD board.

First, update its firmware to the latest 2003be_71A.  The instruction is given on Amanero's site for oemtool117.

To the best of my knowledge, Audirvana+ 3.1 with its new feature of making an DLNA renderer as its output brings the best sound quality.  You can play DSD512 native in combination with combo384, if you set up a Linux DLNA renderer additionally.  I have already tested this in my environment.

Otherwise, Mac USB output plays DoP only.

On 9/2/2017 at 7:15 PM, helloharry said:

Hi guys, first post here, I just got the 004 yesterday per positive feedbacks on this thread and also being in china myself its easy, so i decided to give it a go over my cambridge 840c that i must have bought for 10 years! Never too excited about computer audio (LPs was my main source), until i started experimenting Tidal and Hi-Res files on A+ since a couple of months ago, and was very pleasantly suprised on the SQ. I now use A+ 3.1 on Macbook air i7 playing tidal, both pcm and dsd files on an external drive and connecting 004 thru USB. So much to learn here. 

My problem is the 'auto-detection' mode on A+ doesn't seem to recognise between PCM and DSD. When I play a DSD file, the screen on 004 reads 'PCM..k' so it looks to me that the DSDs are being converted to PCMs by A+ before passing to 004, and that regardless of what file types they are all converted and fed to 004 in PCM? Does that mean for the DSD files, by being converted to PCMs they were actually 'diwngraded' in SQ in anyway? If I choose the 'PCM over DSD 1.x standard' modes, on the 004 display it saids 'DSD 64/128k'. 

question 1: to get the optimal SQ out of all the pcm and dsd files, should i still select 'auto detection mode'? Or I did not get the settings right somewhere?

question 2: in my setup, what are the particular settings i should be using? (Some of the settings on 004 will create white noise and I changed the bandwidth (dllp i think) settings to a higer value the problem goes away. 

question 3: on certain setting there are increased bavkground noise sometimes, and I have to turn on 'de-emphasis' to make them go away. On the 004 user manual this is not recommended, any thoughts here?

Thanks in advance, sorry about the mixed logic in my question as I yet has to figure out how these pcm/dsd stuff works. 

with what you have heard so far, would you say it is leaps and bounds better than your 10 year old dac, marginally better, worse, or too early to say?

Its my 4th day with this new dac, at this point, what impress me is the bass control and bass extension. In my old dac sometimes bottom end notes was distorted  (i thought it was my room problem), now its much better. Second, stereo images at the far left/right of the soundstage is now more solid. Third, a little more air and details. These are the obvious ones to my ears. There are a 'tad' better improvement all around (transparency/transient/timbre..etc), depending on how good the recording is. For most classical 44.1k recordings which are good but not 'audiophile' the difference is there but not night and day, except bass control as mentioned.

What frustrated me is the noise I keep experiencing with this new dac, i keep getting these static like noise at the beginning of a track, and flushes of white noise for a few seconds. I have to adjust the 'bandwidth value' or turn 'deemphasis' on to make these go away, its most stable if i choose the  'dsd over pcm' mode. But then i cannot control volume with a usb volume control knob which i have (pic atttached), and the remote of the dac doesnt has a good feel to use. My old cambridge dac, cannot decode dsd and thus no fiddling of pcm/dsd signal and what settings at audirvana. Maybe some other software would be easier to use or i just need to get over the learning curve. (Designer/owner of lks audio uses iriver, he does not know or use audirvana).

I am going to try i2s connection through LKS's own usb interface with separate power supply. @beerandmusic

Btw, anyone can enlighten me how to properly set up 'auto detection' on audirvana with 004? When mine is set to auto detection, audirvana only send pcm to 004 even if its dsd. Thanks.

IMG_4705.JPG

IMG_4707.JPG

2 hours ago, helloharry said:

What frustrated me is the noise I keep experiencing with this new dac, i keep getting these static like noise at the beginning of a track, and flushes of white noise for a few seconds.

Unless you update the firmware to 2003be_71A as I indicated, I am afraid USB-100 (= the same Amanero chip inside) will give the same result.  I am its user.  See my posts in USB-100 thread for the pins for firmware update.
I suggest you update the firmware of both MH-DA004 and USB-100 with a Windows PC before you start trying or investing for anything new.

De-emphasis function is not intended to be used like this.  It is for CDs with emphasis which could be seen in the very early days of CD.

DoP volume control on the player software does not work theoretically.  It must be bit-perfect at the input point of a USB-DAC/DDC.  Otherwise the USB-DAC/DDC cannot judge whether it is a genuine PCM or a wrapped DSD.

And try A+ 3.1 with DLNA renderer output.  It really brings you a different world.

In addition, you have to specify the output specifications manually for DLNA renderer output, which may solve your issue automatically.  You can send me a personal message if you are interested.

I do not own MH-DA004.  However, all the Amanero boards look similar.

I uploaded a correct link (at least correct as of today) for USB-100 in its thread here in CA.

A Google search for image "combo384 lks" shows lots of pictures.

For example, you see under this link x3 contacts, one of which is a rectangle.

Use the this rectangle pin and its adjacent round one among x3 contacts.

1_78_1.jpg

Hi..i am a new user here. Do you consider the LKS to perform good or excellent, specially for rock music, i want analog, involving, musical and emotional sound as possible. I had the Auralic VEGA and although is sounds very good it still has that "digital" glare, i wanted to be more detailed but not bright, voices to be vivid but again not brightened, background to be black with very low noise or zero noises.

52 minutes ago, RickyTerzis said:

Hi..i am a new user here. Do you consider the LKS to perform good or excellent, specially for rock music, i want analog, involving, musical and emotional sound as possible. I had the Auralic VEGA and although is sounds very good it still has that "digital" glare, i wanted to be more detailed but not bright, voices to be vivid but again not brightened, background to be black with very low noise or zero noises.

try a mcintosh amplifier....it was the first time i listened to digital where the music sounded more musical...no dac to date has made a difference in that regard to me...it also opened up the soundstage and depth.

53 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

try a mcintosh amplifier....it was the first time i listened to digital where the music sounded more musical...no dac to date has made a difference in that regard to me...it also opened up the soundstage and depth.

Hi, im confused...Do you mean to try a McIntosh amplifier with an integrated DAC will give you those benefits, or by that you mean that the Mac can be put with any DAC and make it sound that way?

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

4 minutes ago, mikicasellas said:

Hi, im confused...Do you mean to try a McIntosh amplifier with an integrated DAC will give you those benefits, or by that you mean that the Mac can be put with any DAC and make it sound that way?

I am saying ime the amp will make a bigger difference, especially if you think DACs sound digital.  Try a tube amp or ss amp that many suggest has sonic qualities similar to a tube amp....many suggest the sound of mcintosh is "smoothe and warm" and tube like. 

I have heard the claim that 256 DSD is nearing the sound of records, but that would be depend on original recording format and mastering.

If you had the VEGA, and aren't happy with the DAC, to try amplifier or speakers...most people would be very happy with a vega dac.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent 1.5 hours today doing an A-B comparison of the Chord Dave with the LKS Audio MH-DA004.

The Dave came out on top, but the LKS gave a good account of itself. Let's not forget that the Dave is around 6x the price.

The 004 is the best Sabre DAC I've heard, but it lacks the life and dynamics of the Dave. Maybe it's the output stage only. It has motivated me nevertheless to get my soldering iron out and see if I can improve the 004...