IGNORED

Preamp / Studio Monitor Settings

So, here's the deal. The preamp volume goes from 0-10; the studio monitors go from 0-10 too. I have been playing around with these numbers...preamp nice and low (2-3) monitors up around 5-7. Or, balance it out so the preamp ideally sits in the middle of 4-5-6 and the monitors do too. Hard to tell which is better though. Is there some sort of 'golden mean' for this sort of thing, or should I just keep twiddling?

Is the preamp a DAC pre doing digital volume control or is it an analog volume control? Ideally on analog controls you want the volume well up because channel tracking is usually better there.  In your case I would put monitors on the low side of the middle like a 4. Put the pre on the high side of middle like a 6 since that's the one you will be adjusting up and down.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

What if you max out the monitor's control and only use the preamp?  Do you still get good range out of the Later's control or are you limited to a small window before it gets too loud?

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

3 hours ago, wgb113 said:

What if you max out the monitor's control and only use the preamp?  Do you still get good range out of the Later's control or are you limited to a small window before it gets too loud?

If I max out the monitor volume, then the range on the preamp is very limited before it gets too loud. 

4 hours ago, gradier said:

If I max out the monitor volume, then the range on the preamp is very limited before it gets too loud. 

The actual numbers are arbitrary and therefore, probably  irrelevant. The numbers on the speakers (I'm assuming that your monitors are self powered) have no real correlation with the numbers on the preamp's gain control and they are just there for reference (to insure repeatability). So, my advice is to keep fiddling. I would expect that setting the monitor volume at the mid-point (5) should give you enough range on your preamp, But then, I'm not there to hear the result. Just keep in mind that the numbers mean nothing, and have no relation to each other, They are there only to give an indication of how much of each volume control is in use. Some amps or preamps just have a series of dots or short lines to show the position of the control knob.

George