IGNORED

The Odds of Making it Big

Very interesting.  This is bands headlining New York venues.  For this graphic, Small = <700 seats, Medium = 700+, Big = 3000+.

7000 bands headlined at least one night in a small NY venue.

400 of these 7000 headlined at a medium venue.

21 of the 7000 headlined at a big venue.

The 21:

A Great Big World

Sam Smith

Bastille

Lake Street Dive

Sylvan Esso

London Grammar

Chet Faker

Chance the Rapper

X Ambassadors

Mayer Hawthorne

5 Seconds of Summer

Chase Rice

Disclosure

Gorgon City

Houndmouth

Lucius

Mac DeMarco

Misterwives

Rudimental

Shakey Graves

Sturgill Simpson

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

@The Computer Audiophile

Yep. Very interesting.You seem to like cool graphics (I like the new shaded bars :) although I'd make them just a bit darker to the extreme left and the white letters just a litlle bigger). An average time of 'making it' to the big venue is 2.5 - 3 years. Not many succeed though. I also believe not everyone wants desperately to make it 'big'. You know there are quite many bands consciously occupying different not that commercial niches.

@Jud

Thanks, I think the important thing is that the whole estimation is for 2013 - 2016 period.

I now have a new favorite web site!!  Thanks!

I think that it is interesting that many of the names on that list are still probably niche when it comes to what the broader world knows of music.  While we may know Meyer Hawthorne or Lake Street, those artist still are not "mega" in the big picture.  Take that in and you see the odds of making it to Beyonce status are even more daunting.