IGNORED

CA subscriber/member ranking

WMW

Greetings one and all!

If this question has been addressed (i.e. "Asked and answered.") in the past on this site I apologize.  I wonder by what criterion (or criteria) CA members/subscribers are designated "Freshman - Senior"?  I'm guessing it is number of contributions (e.g. posts), yes?  Is this information available?

Thanks kindly!

Bill Walker

I think it is just the number of posts, which is a rather meaningless statistic. 

Even the "reputation" count is a bit dubious. There are many here who are far more knowledgeable and helpful than I am, but with a lower "rep".  I think it is just how many "likes" someone gives a comment -- maybe because it gave them a momentary chuckle.

So far to the 3 (and only) responders I say: HA, HA and HA!!!

I thought perhaps points might be given to a complex formula involving:  number of posts + duration of membership + experience in either/both audiophilia/computer literacy alleged in profile + political affiliation ("All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.") + clarity of posts + quality of 'kit' (I love the word "kit") + country of residence ("The West is the best.") - DOB (the elderly neither hear nor reason well it seems....).

I'm laughing and hope everyone is.  I find the rankings unnecessary.  I believe CA readership is capable of discerning posters with chops vs posers.  My worldview suggests the rankings are a subtle nudge to encourage posting(s).  If so, I find the concept quite pragmatic and wholeheartedly support the process. Without contributions from members the site becomes Chris and vendors.  In short, thanks, Chris.  The rankings concept is brilliant!

Bill Walker

CA is my favorite internet site.  I thank Chris and all members who contribute.  I read, I learn, I laugh....  The humor is quite special.  I also very much love the disagreements.  Great fun all around!!! 

We now have a couple different "rankings" systems. 

The one that has been in place since CA day 1 in 2007, is based solely on the number of posts. As more posts are made, one moves from freshman to sophomore to junior etc... Similar to many education systems, you just have to show up, spell your name right, and answer when called upon to move along in the system. The ole social promotion concept. 

P.S. These ranking titles can be changed by anyone. 

The new system is for member reputation. It's built into the software and can't be adjusted easily. I believe it's based solely on the number of likes minus dislikes one receives. This is actually interesting and has some merit. We'll see how it plays out. I can always disable it if people need participation trophies :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Well at least you haven't added a member Thunderdome.  Two members enter only one member leaves. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Thanks Chris!

I would argue with your "ole social promotion concept" explanation slightly however.  In many of today's USA K-12 systems students are simply advanced regardless of class participation.  No one flunks or is held back a grade because that would be oh so traumatic, wouldn't it?  The old "Everyone gets a trophy.  Everyone is a winner!" philosophy.  So your system is better, Chris.  Clearly there is a correlation between frequency of posts and knowledge.  The member reputation metric might help from the perspective of the perceived accuracy/veracity of posts (i.e. quality) vs simply quantity.

Thanks "esldude"!

Made me laugh and I have to say those Quad ESL's (I presume that's the nam's significance) are some of the most enjoyable speakers I've heard...