IGNORED

Schiit Yggdrasil driver issues

I'd like to report a couple of driver related issues with my Yggdrasil, discovered just today.  Admittedly these issues are not new, but there has apparently been little or no progress for a few months:

1. Schiit ASIO driver does not support Windows 10 (or Windows Server 2016).  This driver can apparently install against Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2, all the way back to Windows XP, but if you are running Windows 10 (any edition) or WS2016 you are going to be SOL.

2. USB 2.0 Audio Class driver in pre-releases of upcoming Windows 10 RS2 ("Creators Edition") fails to work with Yggdrasil.  The DAC shows up as a "yellow bang" device in Device Manager, with error code 10 "device cannot start" and the error log indicates a "migration" failure.  This error was reported some months ago over at head-fi, closer to when Microsoft initially introduced the USB 2.0 Audio Class driver (usbaudio2.sys) into their RS2 builds.  I tested with a very recent RS2 build (just days old) today with my Yggy and got the same result.

Mike M., if you are reading this, I'd like to know whether Schiit has provided Microsoft with a Yggdrasil sample for them to work on this yellow bang issue.  Microsoft's USB 2.0 Audio Class driver has progressed to the point of properly supporting playback with several USB DACs I have, and the Yggy (being my only Schiit) stands out with this functional failure.  Microsoft is only days from locking down Win10 RS2 for general availability release, so it may be too late, but I would hate to see the Yggy sustain this compatibility hit with Microsoft's latest OS.  Sure, the Schiit supplied Win10 driver works fine with RS2, but many other DACs will soon have a driver choice (inbox vs. manufacturer supplied) with Win10 RS2.

12 hours ago, dtb300 said:

I always had an issue with their ASIO driver -  had to use the GEN3 Drivers.  

Now that I have a Mutec, I use their ASIO driver with no issues.

Yeah, the Mutec is a nice workaround for Schiit Windows driver issues.  I may take a similar approach to have my Singxer SU-1 DDC drive my Yggy over AES/EBU, and the Yggy tends to sound better with AES vs. USB also.

On 3/21/2017 at 6:17 PM, scan80269 said:

Yeah, the Mutec is a nice workaround for Schiit Windows driver issues.  I may take a similar approach to have my Singxer SU-1 DDC drive my Yggy over AES/EBU, and the Yggy tends to sound better with AES vs. USB also.

+1

S/PDIF also.  Using an iFi iLink with my Yggy and a Gumby.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the Yggy again with latest Windows 10 Creators Edition (RS2) and its inbox native USB Audio 2.0 class driver, and still got the same yellow bang issue.  The Yggy definitely has problems working with this new Microsoft USB Audio driver.  The only Windows driver that works is the one supplied by Schiit.  Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...