IGNORED

Build a 100% Audiophile computer.

1. From point of view audiophile, you need any piece what generate minimal noise in assembled system. But nobody here measure it, I suppose. Also may be ditherent values for different series, theoretically.

So don't worry about it. Jitters, clock tability, misterious (for me, old engineer) word "timing" out of building music server. DAC use internal clock and only DAC define clock stability and all things bound with it.

2. Memory and CPU model by performance buy model by optimal price (not maximal) on current time.

Because after some point, performance is increased not so great as price.

Speed reading of HDD (SSD) for audio applications is not matter. You may use external mechanical HDD storage in other room even. In computer's SSD may be only operation system and fortware only.

3. But system radiate thru air and, primarily, cables (interconnect modules, power supply). So, probably, you will need try ferrite ringing on the cables and power filters.

As control of effectivity of your actions, you may use audio check of background noise during playing audio file with zero level (need create such file in audio editor).

If background noise is fine for you, dont' worry about it too.

4. Remains to find low noise or fanless CPU cooling system and PSU (power supply unit).

If you want to convert audio file's resolution inline (on fly) fanless system may have heating issues more probably then one, that having fan.

If you will use fan system, need use fans with bigger diameter. It allow decrease speed of rotation and noise. Also check level noise of PSU and CPU cooling fan.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Hi,

I found this so far as i am in the same journey:

I is not a complete list but i am trying to build an idea of how i am doing it or what should i change, for starters i am guessing the Power supply...any ideas or suggestions?

I would like a finless case, but not sure if i can put all these in...

PC audio 2017.jpeg

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

1 hour ago, Keith_W said:

Nobody can give you any hardware recommendations until you tell us what you want to do with it. I am in the process of building a "100% audiophile computer" myself. This will be my second attempt - I got quite a few things wrong with my first attempt (because I relied on the advice of forum members who didn't know exactly what I required) ... but I learnt a lot. 

1. What software do you want to run? <-- this is the most important question! 

2. Is your computer going to sit on your equipment rack, or in another room? Do you prefer it to be of a certain size?

3. Does your computer require a digital input for an external digital source (e.g. CD player, analog-digital converter, etc)

4. What is your budget? 

Yes you are absolutely right,

Budget around 1000  to 1500 tops if necessary.

Ok this is my actual setup with ROON and want to go ROON/HQPLAYER:

My actual system is Modem/Router > CAT 6A > MacMini Microrendu/Ultracaps LPS-1 > Curious USB cable > Auralic VEGA > Preamp > AMP > Speakers

My next move is meant to be: Modem/Router > CAT 6A > Paul Pang switch with TXCO clock > CAT 6A > EMO EN-70HD Ethernet isolator > CAT 6A MacMini (perhaps with Uptone modified w/JS-2/MMK) or Audiophile PC  > CAT 6A > Microrendu/Ultracaps LPS-1 > ISO REGEN/UPCB adapter > Auralic VEGA > Preamp > AMP > Speakers

Regards 

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

Two big items that can lead this search are 1) HQPlayer and 2) use of a microRendu. 

HQP requires power.

mR enables you to use a big fat ugly PC and put it in another room.

In my experience, when using the mR, my computer didn't really matter because I was sending audio over Ethernet and it was powerful enough to do what I needed. 

Others have very different experience though, and only you will know which path will work in your situation. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

JS-2 was on my mind as a 1st player if things were going to go up, i know...

Well iam a troglodita, so my guess is be ready for 512 or 1024 thru HQP when DAC is capable, future is near and changes are always around, so if i will invest on this i prefer to be `repaired for some time if things go that up

So you think fanless case is not necessary? just a good JS-2

14 minutes ago, mikicasellas said:

So you think fanless case is not necessary? just a good JS-2

Special fanless case need for CPU-fanless only, as I understand.

If fans big it work quietly (you have ability decrease its speed).

So case will more large.

Anyway with/without fans need provide air circulation. I'm not sure that is possibly without fans for powerful software work.

At first look qt your components it will work ok. I'd recommend you check noise level of CPU and PSU fans. Sometimes for better result need replace components several time. Components changed permanently and I don't know what is mean cost of CPU.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

15 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Two big items that can lead this search are 1) HQPlayer and 2) use of a microRendu. 

HQP requires power.

mR enables you to use a big fat ugly PC and put it in another room.

In my experience, when using the mR, my computer didn't really matter because I was sending audio over Ethernet and it was powerful enough to do what I needed. 

Others have very different experience though, and only you will know which path will work in your situation. 

Thanks a lot,

Does my Mac Mini with Quad Core intel i7 with 8RAM could be up to that task, anyone using one for this purpose?

MacMini is the one i am using now and although i purchased the SonicTrasporter i5

I keep switching between one and the other and i don't really hear any differences...perhaps if i make a modification to my power output on my MacMini or only to the ethernet sources (switch and isolators on the ethernet path)

Thanks again

Below  two pic of how is my system setup now and how i am planning to do on the ethernet route...

Mi-equipo-connectivity.jpg

MI-SISTEMA-TWEAKS-2017.jpg

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 10:18 PM, Keith_W said:

Nobody can give you any hardware recommendations until you tell us what you want to do with it. I am in the process of building a "100% audiophile computer" myself. This will be my second attempt - I got quite a few things wrong with my first attempt (because I relied on the advice of forum members who didn't know exactly what I required) ... but I learnt a lot. 

1. What software do you want to run? <-- this is the most important question! 

2. Is your computer going to sit on your equipment rack, or in another room? Do you prefer it to be of a certain size?

3. Does your computer require a digital input for an external digital source (e.g. CD player, analog-digital converter, etc)

4. What is your budget? 

Hi all, 

Firstable thank you guys for your answer. 

1- Bug Head/Infinity blade and Hqplayer 

2- Computer sit on my equipment / not too big 

3- I have tree dac  ( encore msd, ifi nano idsd, ps audio nuwave  ( the first one not the dsd version ) I think a DAC upgrade it's a good idea but i am not sure. 

4- Budget i don't want to buy everything in one time because i can't. I prefer to buy piece by piece. I have already a PSU i buy it few days ago  ( coolermaster v1000) I think it's a good start. 

Regards

Aurélien. 

40 minutes ago, Blake said:

Agree.  Why spend time and money building an audiophile computer, if you are using a mR?  I don't think it is necessary or worthwhile.

agreed.  just need cpu power to make hqplayer work -- the rest is less important when you're serving the music to the microrendu (recommend using the lps-1 with it).

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
On 22.3.2017 at 1:30 AM, Keith_W said:

You DEFINITELY need a linear power supply for your new PC if you want it to be an "audiophile" PC. In my own system, the Uptone JS-2 made a massive difference.

Is this in your case related to HQPlayer? Or Roon ? Or do you run both on same PC ?

I've been under the impression that it's normally best to use two computers. But I suppose there are several opinions about that. 

Hello everyone,

Very helpful inputs for this tasks, Thanks!!

Now i am using a ST-i5, but i also have a MacMini late 2012 (quad Core i7 / 8RAM)...should i need another proper PC for the HQplayer tasks, does anyone here is using a MacMini for HQP?

My system is in "Pause" now because of a problem of construction in my house so i am living out until april, so i have not had even time to upgrade mR to the newest software version nor ROON.

I know there will be a lot of changes in sound when i am back...NeW speakers on the way during april, NEW TOPAZ isolator transformer to connect, NEW software to try (HQPLayer) and NEW Software upgrade in both new version of mR and ROON with up-sampling and MQA files in TIDAL/ROON.

So i am planning ahead specially for HQplayer possible requirements.

I am really excited about all these upcoming changes!!!

Best regards

4 hours ago, westside said:

Hi ,

According to you MicroRendu work great with HQPlayer and roon ?

Best regards 

there are many threads about the microrendu/room/hqplayer combo -- all very favorable.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

MicroRendu is dead to me until it can do DSD512.

I built a cheap, fanless audio PC using parts lying around as a sort of trial. That trial was a success -- clearly improved audio quality. Next step is to build a 100% fanless i7-7700K PC, using the gigantic Quiet PC 95W TDP cooler -- which should actually be arriving tomorrow. Then I'll figure out the best, most compact case I can get away with that can take my Paul Pang V3 card and also fit the giant heatsink.

nofan-icepipe-95.jpgCIMG0203.JPG

I want to be able to run HQP+Roon using the poly-sinc filters upsampling to at least DSD256, but I really want 512 for a future DAC upgrade.

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

MicroRendu is dead to me until it can do DSD512.

I built a cheap, fanless audio PC using parts lying around as a sort of trial. That trial was a success -- clearly improved audio quality. Next step is to build a 100% fanless i7-7700K PC, using the gigantic Quiet PC 95W TDP cooler -- which should actually be arriving tomorrow. Then I'll figure out the best, most compact case I can get away with that can take my Paul Pang V3 card and also fit the giant heatsink.

nofan-icepipe-95.jpgCIMG0203.JPG

I want to be able to run HQP+Roon using the poly-sinc filters upsampling to at least DSD256, but I really want 512 for a future DAC upgrade.

All audio is dead to me until I can get native DSD1024 :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

9 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

All audio is dead to me until I can get native DSD1024 :~)

don't invest too much for native DSD1024  you will be surprised about what DSD2048 can do :)

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

12 minutes ago, juanitox said:

don't invest too much for native DSD1024  you will be surprised about what DSD2048 can do :)

In multichannel, of course.  Just the ticket for those new 10TB external drives.  Should be able to hold at least one or two albums. :)

(actually my mch DSD64 albums can be 10 GB, so a mch DSD2048 would be 320GB, or 3 albums per TB, or 30 albums in a 10 TB drive.) Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Great topic for never finding the one you wanted :)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13