IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - Shairport Output Mode

vortecjr

1 hour ago, John A said:

Not sure what your issue is.  I just fired up the app switcher and changed from Roon to Shairport.  My iPhone 7 Plus sees the microRendu in Airplay mode and I am streaming to it right now.  Works just fine for me.  

I'm not sure what the issue is, either. An Apple TV plugged into the same Ethernet connection shows up immediately. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2017 at 7:11 AM, miguelito said:

Except it is limited in sampling rate to 48KHz. You cannot use Audirvana with up sampling in this setup.

With the Airport Express, it is only 16/44.1k but bit perfect output with Redbook files. Optimum for use with my Yggy. 

Apple TV is limited to 16/48k only and is not bit perfect for Redbook files.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 7/10/2017 at 2:31 PM, marksas3 said:

Hey anyone know why Shairport won't work after upgrading to 2.5?  I installed the Shairport app, activated it, restarted everything, but still non of my apps like Tidal (on iOS) will not recognize it anymore like it used to with version 2.3

I'm having the same issue, I don't use it often, but it always worked with previous version.  Doesn't show up with 2.5.

Best,

Ed

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I just installed it and Roon sees it just fine. Did you go into Settings/Shairport and press Save?

Yes, several times.  My Apple TV shows up but the rendu does not.  I have reset every link in the path at some point ( I haven't reset the router, I will try that next).

Thanks,

Ed

9 hours ago, Ebag4 said:

Yes, several times.  My Apple TV shows up but the rendu does not.  I have reset every link in the path at some point ( I haven't reset the router, I will try that next).

Thanks,

Ed

Is there any chance you're not looking for it in the right place? If you're on IOS 11 it's not under Screen Mirroring which for me was the obvious place to look when I first switched to it. The Apple TV shows up there but to select the uRendu you hold down the Music box and then in the upper right corner of the box that opens is a button that reveals where the Rendu is selected. It wasn't very intuitive for me to find it the first time which surprised me because usually Apple is a little better about such things.

3 hours ago, daverich4 said:

Is there any chance you're not looking for it in the right place? If you're on IOS 11 it's not under Screen Mirroring which for me was the obvious place to look when I first switched to it. The Apple TV shows up there but to select the uRendu you hold down the Music box and then in the upper right corner of the box that opens is a button that reveals where the Rendu is selected. It wasn't very intuitive for me to find it the first time which surprised me because usually Apple is a little better about such things.

Thats embarrassing, thanks Daverich4.  I was unaware it had moved.  Works great!

Best,

Ed

• 5 months later...

I just installed my UltraRendu and is successful at streaming from Apple iTunes on my Mac Mini to Shairport. 

Can I stream YouTube videos on Safari the same way? I can’t seem to find a way to Airplay this to Shairport from the Mac Mini. 

Thanks 

Gary 

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2018 at 1:43 AM, GaryY said:

I just installed my UltraRendu and is successful at streaming from Apple iTunes on my Mac Mini to Shairport. 

Can I stream YouTube videos on Safari the same way? I can’t seem to find a way to Airplay this to Shairport from the Mac Mini. 

Thanks 

Gary 

No.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2018 at 1:43 AM, GaryY said:

Thanks 

Gary 

Yes. Set your Rendu to Shairport then go to System Preferences/Sound and choose your Rendu as the output device. You can ignore the Airplay option that’s under the YouTube window. That should do it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2018 at 7:08 AM, daverich4 said:

Yes. Set your Rendu to Shairport then go to System Preferences/Sound and choose your Rendu as the output device. You can ignore the Airplay option that’s under the YouTube window. That should do it. 

Thanks for tip. It worked! Only thing is sometimes when I select another video I get a “ ultrarendu is in use” message and sends the sound output back to the Mac internal speakers. I have to go into System Preferences to select output by ultrarendu again. 

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Legit question... Bluesound obviously worked with Apple to add Airplay 2 to Node 2i.. I understand there may be a licensing fee of course... 

This doesn't make sense... the Chromecast device I would like would be the Rendu itself... and take Roon out of it (not everyone wants or uses Roon).

These companies will not open source their code to us. If it needs an embedded hardware solution we would not be interested in it. If someone comes up with an open source application we would look into it. No clue what that company is doing.

22 hours ago, vortecjr said:

These companies will not open source their code to us. If it needs an embedded hardware solution we would not be interested in it. If someone comes up with an open source application we would look into it. No clue what that company is doing.

Noted. Unfortunately one problem with Shairport (compared with the real, proper official Airplay...) is it is not bitperfect. It is known if anyone has looked at github but I did a bit perfect test with MQA DAC with MQA-CD files...

Using Airplay 2 to Apple Airport Express, MQA plays properly to MQA DAC...

Using the Rendu's Shairport of the same file to the same DAC, bit perfect playback fails (MQA playback fails).. As mentioned it's not a secret that Shairport is not bit perfect anyway.

But this is where the real/proper/official Apple Airplay would be nice...

I assume you've never looked into what is required to for official support? Technical and cost?

44 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Noted. Unfortunately one problem with Shairport (compared with the real, proper official Airplay...) is it is not bitperfect. It is known if anyone has looked at github but I did a bit perfect test with MQA DAC with MQA-CD files...

Using Airplay 2 to Apple Airport Express, MQA plays properly to MQA DAC...

Using the Rendu's Shairport of the same file to the same DAC, bit perfect playback fails (MQA playback fails).. As mentioned it's not a secret that Shairport is not bit perfect anyway.

We don’t use Shairport we use Shairport Sync. Either way send me a link to githuh of what you are referring to.