IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - Shairport Output Mode

vortecjr

This thread is intended to be a supplement to the Sonore Rendu series user manuals. The manuals contain quick start information that can be viewed here:

Sonicorbiter Rendu Series - User Manuals

Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 5.28.57 PM.png

You can install the Shairport output mode from Apps / Software Manager.

The Shairport output mode works with Apple iTunes running on your computer (PC or Mac) or on a mobile device. This output mode also works with Roon Server.

I started this thread earlier in the week. This issue continues to baffle me! Does anyone have any ideas?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/windows-itunes-shareport-mode-runs-48khz-16-44-1khz-material-30569/

Also, can anyone else who has an mR on a network with a Windows PC try this? I'm consistently getting 48kHz via iPad, iPhone, Windows iTunes, all with native 16/44.1 ALAC.

Sonore's Jesus has chipped in on this issue advising 'The microRendu can't change in rate with this output mode. If you are getting 48kHz, that is likely what your PC is streaming to the microRendu.'

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

A daft thing to do I know (Roon Ready mode works fine) but I get 48kHz using AirPlay via Roon, see pic.

Capture.PNG

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Also, don't forget the posts in the Sonore microRendu thread, especially:

You said, "AirPlay only streams ALAC fixed at 16bit/44.1kHz for audio (AirPlay's AirTunes service), which would imply that the Shairport AirPlay emulator in the microRendu can only be receiving 44.1kHz stream via AirPlay and the PC running iTunes that's streaming via AirPlay can only be sending a 44.1kHz stream!"

I said, "That is not what the facts imply." If the DAC Diagnostics page says he is getting 48kHz then the unit is receiving 48kHz. The microRendu can't change in rate with this output mode. If you are getting 48kHz, that is likely what your PC is streaming to the microRendu. If it were changing the rate then all streams would be resampled to 48kHz with that output mode and they are not.

Ok, so you were referring to the microRendu's DAC Diagnostics page info. How certain are you that the DAC Diagnostics page is indicating the rate that the microRendu's Shairport Airplay emulator is receiving (so from AirPlay), rather than what it is outputting to the DAC, when the microRendu is in Shairport output mode?

I'm asking because I thought it was common knowledge that AirPlay only streams audio at 44.1kHz and you appear to be implying that is not true.

Jesus has yet to reply to the question, so he may have something different to say.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

A daft thing to do I know (Roon Ready mode works fine) but I get 48kHz using AirPlay via Roon, see pic.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30843[/ATTACH]

In the attached image I have a 16/44.1 track playing in Roon, I have the same Roon display you have, and I'm showing 16/44.1 being sent to the DAC in DAC Diagnostic.

Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 2.30.16 PM.png

Ok, so you were referring to the microRendu's DAC Diagnostics page info. How certain are you that the DAC Diagnostics page is indicating the rate that the microRendu's Shairport Airplay emulator is receiving (so from AirPlay), rather than what it is outputting to the DAC, when the microRendu is in Shairport output mode?

I'm asking because I thought it was common knowledge that AirPlay only streams audio at 44.1kHz and you appear to be implying that is not true.

Shairport does not have any code to resample. ALSA could resample and if it does it's usually for a good reason. I would have to log into his machine to get more information.

Ok, we're now in agreement. :)

My instinct was always that the microRendu as the AirPlay receiver ought to be investigated, rather than the AirPlay sending device, since AirPlay is supposed to only stream at 44.1kHz.

I've never used Shairport & certainly am no Linux expert, but from the documentation I've seen of it is that it needs to be told which ALSA device to use. So a possibilty is whatever initialisation setting it's been given, is not functioning as intended, such that it may not be picking up the correct ALSA device for the attached DAC. Anyway, best leave it to those who know what they're doing!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

An update on the issue of AirPlay shareport running at 48kHz with 16/44.1 material. I tried a couple of experiments this morning to try to get some clarity as to what is going on.

First I tried connecting the PC to direct to the Mutec via USB, so taking the mR out of the chain. I booted up the PC, it found the Mutec without issue, selected the Mutec in the soundcard GIU, fired up iTunes, and yes, it runs at 16/44.1.

I also tried hard rebooting the microRendu with the PC off. This was interesting, the Mutec looses lock as you would expect, but once the mR rebooted I could then pick up AirPlay via my iPhone, the Mutec then flicked back to 48kHz and played music. All this with the PC turned off. I'm a little surprised this even worked!

Has anyone else with a basic Windows PC / mR set up tried (or could try) the Shareport / AirPlay mode? My PC and network set up is pretty standard stuff, so I am sure the issue is not unique to me.

Jesus - I see you can get 44.1 using Shareport, but I am assuming this is with a Mac?

Hi Confused,

It might be best to ask Jesus what you need to do to get him to log into your microRendu remotely, as he has said that is what is required to investigate this further.

There may well be an issue with the microRendu itself and investigating any problem with your Windows PC running iTunes and any other AirPlay sending device is very likely a red herring.

John

-- Jo Cox

• 2 weeks later...

I have been ultra busy myself recently, so I have let this one lie for a bit. However, the issue of microRendu shareport / AirPlay mode with running at 48kHz Windows iTunes ALAC 16/44.1 remains, so I thought I would give this one a quick 'bump'. My first question would be to ask if anyone else has tried this or noticed this, and if not, would anyone be prepared to try it, just for the sake of good scientific data gathering? There must be a few folk with a Windows PC, iTunes or an iPhone / Ipad. Also, Jesus mentioned in post #7 that he would need to log into my machine to get more information. To be honest, I would have thought that this issue would be relatively easy to reproduce with a Windows lap top or similar, but to be clear, I would be more than happy for Jesus to log into my machine if this would be of any help resolving this one.

Hi Confused,

Shairport does not have any code to resample. ALSA could resample and if it does it's usually for a good reason. I would have to log into his machine to get more information.
Jesus mentioned in post #7 that he would need to log into my machine to get more information. To be honest, I would have thought that this issue would be relatively easy to reproduce with a Windows lap top or similar, but to be clear, I would be more than happy for Jesus to log into my machine if this would be of any help resolving this one.

I believe the "machine" Jesus was referring to log into is your microRendu, not your Windows PC, hence why having a "Windows laptop or similar" isn't really relevant. He needs to investigate your microRendu's use of ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) when in Shairport output mode, specifically with your Mutec MC3+ USB device (plus the rest of your audio chain) attached to the microRendu.

John

-- Jo Cox

I have been ultra busy myself recently, so I have let this one lie for a bit. However, the issue of microRendu shareport / AirPlay mode with running at 48kHz Windows iTunes ALAC 16/44.1 remains, so I thought I would give this one a quick 'bump'. My first question would be to ask if anyone else has tried this or noticed this, and if not, would anyone be prepared to try it, just for the sake of good scientific data gathering? There must be a few folk with a Windows PC, iTunes or an iPhone / Ipad. Also, Jesus mentioned in post #7 that he would need to log into my machine to get more information. To be honest, I would have thought that this issue would be relatively easy to reproduce with a Windows lap top or similar, but to be clear, I would be more than happy for Jesus to log into my machine if this would be of any help resolving this one.

I tried this already with my wife's Windows machine, iTunes, 16/44.1 ALAC and 24/192 ALAC. In both cases I got 44.1 playback via GUI and DAC display.

I tried this already with my wife's Windows machine, iTunes, 16/44.1 ALAC and 24/192 ALAC. In both cases I got 44.1 playback via GUI and DAC display.

OK, that is at least encouraging that it can work as it should. However, it does not resolve why the microRendu runs (or is forced to run) at 48kHz in my set up. It occurs to me that there are only two variables here. One would be some obscure setting in Windows somewhere, although this would perhaps not explain why running Shareport / AirPlay via my iPhone yields 48kHz. The other option is some quirk of the interface between the microRendu and the Mutec MC3+USB. In the spirit of experimentation and information gathering, one thing I could try is eliminating the Mutec from the chain. This is easy enough to do, I could connect the microRendu direct to my Devialet amp, perform a full reboot of the mR, and check the result, this should at least indicate the Mutec's influence on things. I think I should have time at the weekend to give this a try. Can anyone else think of anything else to try?

Not really, as you are already trying a connection to the microRendu other than the Mutec's.

Your probem with the microRendu in Shairport output mode connected to the Mutec should have nothing to do with the AirPlay sender side, whatever the source (your Windows PC, the iPad, etc), so no point further exploring that side. Jesus has not denied that AirPlay streams audio only at 16/44.1 kHz, which can only imply that the microRendu must always be receiving the audio stream from AirPlay at 16/44.1 kHz.

Incidentally, how is your microRendu's ALSA investigation going? Have you received the instructions from Jesus as to what you need to do to get him to log into your microRendu yet?

-- Jo Cox

My apologies in advance for a most likely stupid question. Can someone provide a few use cases for this feature? I'm not clear on what this feature is meant to do?

As a first thought, based on the available info of this feature, if I have an iPAD with music sitting on it localy am I supposed to be able to choose the mRendu somehow to play that music via some means thru my main rig where the mRendu is physically connected to?

I'm sure I have butchered what this feature does in my explanation so apologies in advance.

My apologies in advance for a most likely stupid question. Can someone provide a few use cases for this feature? I'm not clear on what this feature is meant to do?

As a first thought, based on the available info of this feature, if I have an iPAD with music sitting on it localy am I supposed to be able to choose the mRendu somehow to play that music via some means thru my main rig where the mRendu is physically connected to?

I'm sure I have butchered what this feature does in my explanation so apologies in advance.

You would use the Shairport output mode.

Not really, as you are already trying a connection to the microRendu other than the Mutec's.

Your probem with the microRendu in Shairport output mode connected to the Mutec should have nothing to do with the AirPlay sender side, whatever the source (your Windows PC, the iPad, etc), so no point further exploring that side. Jesus has not denied that AirPlay streams audio only at 16/44.1 kHz, which can only imply that the microRendu must always be receiving the audio stream from AirPlay at 16/44.1 kHz.

Incidentally, how is your microRendu's ALSA investigation going? Have you received the instructions from Jesus as to what you need to do to get him to log into your microRendu yet?

It looks like you were correct here. This morning I tried connecting the microRendu direct to the Devialet, I did a 'hard' reboot of the mR, tried AirPlay via an iPhone, result 48kHz. I then tried iTunes / AirPlay again, result 48kHz. So it quite simply looks like whatever I do the mR runs at 48kHz when in shareport mode. (all with 16/44.1 material) Jesus has confirmed that when he tries this he gets 44.1kHz as you would expect. This is encouraging in terms of advising that the mR can work as it should, but it is of course of no use whatsoever in diagnosing why mine runs at 48kHz. To be honest I can think of nothing else to try to in order to attempt to resolve this mystery. I am open to any suggestions.

To date I have heard nothing from Jesus in terms of him logging on to my mR, or indeed to try anything else he feels might help solve this one. All I can say is that if he would like to log into my mR, my PC or anything else I would be more than happy to do whatever is required. Otherwise, I remain baffled!

It looks like you were correct here. This morning I tried connecting the microRendu direct to the Devialet, I did a 'hard' reboot of the mR, tried AirPlay via an iPhone, result 48kHz. I then tried iTunes / AirPlay again, result 48kHz. So it quite simply looks like whatever I do the mR runs at 48kHz when in shareport mode. (all with 16/44.1 material) Jesus has confirmed that when he tries this he gets 44.1kHz as you would expect. This is encouraging in terms of advising that the mR can work as it should, but it is of course of no use whatsoever in diagnosing why mine runs at 48kHz. To be honest I can think of nothing else to try to in order to attempt to resolve this mystery. I am open to any suggestions.

To date I have heard nothing from Jesus in terms of him logging on to my mR, or indeed to try anything else he feels might help solve this one. All I can say is that if he would like to log into my mR, my PC or anything else I would be more than happy to do whatever is required. Otherwise, I remain baffled!

I'm still looking into it and I'll let you know if I find anything else.

I'm still looking into it and I'll let you know if I find anything else.

Thanks! It is appreciated.

I believe @Confused has already posted those in his thread he mentioned & linked to in post #3 above:

Thanks! - As follows:

DAC DiagnosticsThis is a list of audio output devices attached to this system.

Refresh Status

USB output

Set DAC to MAX volume

DAC description: MC-3+ Smart Clock USB 2.0 29a2:0086

Diagnostic information for this DAC

MUTEC GmbH MC-3+ Smart Clock USB 2.0 at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:

Interface = 1

Altset = 1

Packet Size = 67

Momentary freq = 48000 Hz (0x6.0000)

Feedback Format = 16.16

Interface 1

Altset 1

Format: S32_LE

Channels: 2

Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)

Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800

Data packet interval: 125 us

Interface 1

Altset 2

Format: S16_LE

Interface 1

Altset 3

Format: SPECIAL

Capture:

Interface 2

Altset 1

Endpoint: 2 IN (ASYNC)

Data packet interval: 125 usaccess: MMAP_INTERLEAVED

format: S32_LE

subformat: STD

channels: 2

rate: 48000 (48000/1)

period_size: 1024

buffer_size: 16384Simple mixer control 'MUTEC GmbH Clock Selector',0

Capabilities: pvolume cvolume pswitch cswitch

Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right

Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right

Limits: Playback 0 - 127 Capture 0 - 127

Front Left: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on] Capture 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

Front Right: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on] Capture 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

Simple mixer control 'MUTEC GmbH Clock Selector',1

Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined cvolume cvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined

Playback channels: Mono

Capture channels: Mono

Mono: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on] Capture 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

-- Jo Cox

System settings / Custom DAC look like this: Custom DAC.PNG

(Thanks to Cebolla for reposting the DAC diagnostics)

Plus, if there is anything else that might be helpful, I'm happy to oblige.

As I reported in my original thread. (per link post#3, then post #1), there was a time when the shareport mode did indeed run at 44.1. After my earlier post above, I idly tried deleting and reinstalling the shareport app. As can be seen from the diagnostics below (and indeed the display on my amp), it is again running a 44.1. Maybe mysteriously fixed? Maybe something somewhere will 'force' it back to 48kHz? Who knows, but it does show that it can work in my set up, I'll be keeping an eye on this one! It remains a mystery why it got locked into 48kHz mode though, lets see if it reverts ant any stage. I also notice some differences in the data per the DAC diagnostics (see below and post #22), as to if any of these are significant is a little beyond my sphere of expertise, maybe someone else can make sense of this?

MUTEC GmbH MC-3+ Smart Clock USB 2.0 at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:

Interface = 1

Altset = 2

Packet Size = 31

Momentary freq = 44100 Hz (0x5.8330)

Feedback Format = 16.16

Interface 1

Altset 1

Interface 1

Altset 2

Format: S16_LE

Interface 1

Altset 3

Format: SPECIAL

Capture:

Interface 2

Altset 1

Endpoint: 2 IN (ASYNC)

Data packet interval: 125 usaccess: RW_INTERLEAVED

format: S16_LE

subformat: STD

channels: 2

rate: 44100 (44100/1)

period_size: 256

buffer_size: 262144Simple mixer control 'MUTEC GmbH Clock Selector',0

Capabilities: pvolume cvolume pswitch cswitch

Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right

Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right

Front Left: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on] Capture 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

Front Right: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on] Capture 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

Simple mixer control 'MUTEC GmbH Clock Selector',1

Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined cvolume cvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined

Playback channels: Mono

Capture channels: Mono

Mono: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on] Capture 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]