IGNORED

Connecting the MRendu directly to Server

Romaz's massive thread on this topic seems to have disappeared from the new CA. I was going to post this on that thread, hoping someone could distill the bottom line for me. I have a CAPS Zuma Windows 10 server in a LAN with a network switch and a router, with the MRendu on that LAN. It seems to me the premise is that if you can get the router and switch out of the loop, there's less noise to contend with. I believe this is valid because I am using an LPS1 from Uptone to power the switch, which in turn is a modded device from Paul Pang/JCAT. Both of those upgrades were worthwhile in terms of sound quality. 

So, my 2 basic queries are:

1) Very basically -- can my Caps Zuma, running Windows 10, be safely directly connected to the MRendu with a regular network cat patch cable? I read somewhere that a crossover cable was required to connect 2 computers when not going thru a router. A regular CAT cable would allegedly have the power wires wrong and fry boards. I didn't see this issue addressed anywhere on Romaz' thread that I could find, but I sure would like to be 100% sure before I start fooling around. 

2) Somewhere, there was a reference to the Microsoft site that explained how to create a network bridge between a host computer and another -- a setup that gives the linked computer its own IP address, so it can be part of the network. Is that the right way to go?

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-and-manage-network-bridge-connection-windows-10

Anything that can be provided to get me going in the right direction will be appreciated. -- David

14 minutes ago, DavidZ said:

Thanks. I would love to know if you or anyone else reading this post has successfully directly connected a Windows 10 computer to a Mrendu. 

Yes I have done it successfully, although it's a bootcamped MacMini running a Windows 10 OS. I have both the mRendu and Klimax DS connected to the same Win10 computer

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

1- I don't think you will need a crossover cable, most ethernet interfaces these days properly detect and invert this.

2- On the mac you simply create a network bridge and you're done. That assumes you have more than one ethernet interface. On the mac you can achieve this by using a thunderlbolt-to-ethernet adapter, on a PC you can add a network card or presumably use wireless. Regadless, you only need to set fixed IP if you're NOT connected to a router that will provide DHCP services.  

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics