IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

My programming brain is engaged for some reason.  

Right now, an ignored user post still shows up in the activity stream.  It just says 'You have chosen to ignore content by userX'.  Sometimes userX is a very prolific poster, so there's a lot of such entries.

So here's a potential solution.  We have the ability to exclude posts from a given thread from the activity stream.  Is there a way to exclude a custom defined activity stream from the general activity stream?  If so, just make a custom defined activity stream consisting of all posts from ignored users, then exclude that custom defined activity stream from the general activity stream.  Poof!  All gone.

This isn't about intolerance.  It's about productivity.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 hours ago, rickca said:

So here's a potential solution.  We have the ability to exclude posts from a given thread from the activity stream.  Is there a way to exclude a custom defined activity stream from the general activity stream?  If so, just make a custom defined activity stream consisting of all posts from ignored users, then exclude that custom defined activity stream from the general activity stream.  Poof!  All gone.

This isn't about intolerance.  It's about productivity.

Thanks rickca.  As an example, on Head-Fi each member profile has a page called "Subscribed Threads". I make that my web shortcut so that I first go directly just to the threads I am interested in and have not tanked. Each thread gets it's icon changed if there is an update so as to alert you to new posts. I can always go to the main forum page and browse for new threads to add ...or not. On CA I usually go to Unread Content where my filtering can be used. I have never put anyone on my ignore list but am increasingly inclined these days.

I agree about productivity. Who wants to wade through derailed or sour threads when there is so much else to learn here? Regarding intolerance. One needs to differentiate between mean spirited personal attacks or passive aggression versus simply expressing a differing point of view. I am definitely intolerant of threads that devolve into nastiness or insult/ignore the OP. I can hang in there with a contentious thread where learning is still the object.

There is much to learn here.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Maybe answered somewhere waay back (this thread deserves a subforum ;) 

I am trying to post a photo I just took on my iPhone ... the fiberoptic NAA thread ... I copy the photo in "Camera" then paste but it get lost when "Submit" or "Save"

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Chris, would you consider two ideas?  

Creating a hidden sub-forum (tautology?) as barren earth for leisurely blooding one's like minded companions at whatever lengths the forum medium can withstand.  A place anyone among the general membership can invite another to visit should they exhibit certain tendencies or should they wish to have a few good words with them.  

Limit daily post count  on the open forum to an acceptable number for the volume and frequency of topical matters that can be reasonably expected to draw a response.  Task your users to make better use of their words and place more thought into the responses of others that might follow.  If that limit was 10 posts/day it would still mean 100 responses could be added to a single thread by 10 people very interested in it.  I suspect they'd soon prefer to engage each other at great lengths in the "safe space" suggested above.

These are just ideas which could be implemented if their selective nature was not deemed counter to the environment you have created online.

Hi Rando - Thanks for the ideas. I will always take new ideas into consideration, but I make no promises about implementing them. 

1. I'm not sure what the purposes of a hidden sub-forum is. Currently it's possible to private message (private) someone or to post back and forth on a member's profile page (public)

2. I don't believe in limiting posts or having many rules. People behave the way they behave and will always find ways to work around the rules or inconveniences. I think you have a good goal in mind, which seems to seek quality over quantity, but I don't think the suggested idea will work well here.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I take them all seriously. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The search index is currently processing. Activity stream results may not be complete.

This is what's displayed a the top of the page.  I started a thread for it, to see if Chris has an answer.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

9 minutes ago, ShawnC said:

The search index is currently processing. Activity stream results may not be complete.

This is what's displayed a the top of the page.  I started a thread for it, to see if Chris has an answer.

Thanks ShawnC. CA just "acquired" another forum and we are in the process of importing the forum posts and members. As part of the process, the site has to reindex all the content. 

As usual, nothing is going as planned. Problems are popping up and the reindex is failing and is getting stuck etc...

Looks like a long night ahead :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks, Good luck.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks ShawnC. CA just "acquired" another forum and we are in the process of importing the forum posts and members.

WHAT?!!  What forum?

I wrote a longish and humorous post--with guesses--about this an hour or so ago, but the site went offline by the time I hit "Submit."  

Anyway, hope it goes smoothly and that everyone here will welcome all the new members from HydrogenAudio.  x-D

21 minutes ago, Superdad said:

WHAT?!!  What forum?

I wrote a longish and humorous post--with guesses--about this an hour or so ago, but the site went offline by the time I hit "Submit."  

Anyway, hope it goes smoothly and that everyone here will welcome all the new members from HydrogenAudio.  x-D

Ha! 

Well, the database import and reindexing was a spectacular failure today / tonight / early am. The site had to be taken down and a couple times, as you noticed. 

Anyway, we'll give it another shot later in the week once we figure out what caused the issues. 

More news on the new members and topics etc... later. It's nothing huge, but should bring a new, much more mainstream, audience to CA. 

I don't know what the statistics are for traffic on this site but the new format definitely affects my desire to come here. I've been to this site maybe twice in two months. I still find it difficult to read and don't feel that I'm getting used to it.

The reason I'm here today is because I checked Google news this morning and they've done the same thing. Supposedly they offer a setting so one can go back to the classic view. If they get rid of that option then I'll be looking for another source for my news.

10 hours ago, Superdad said:

Now I don't want anyone reading into this or getting upset.  Within two clicks of landing on their front page I was rewarded with this jewel.  :eek:

Feel free to make other suggestions as to how to make links more visible to people who can't see subtle changes in color and faint underlines, which are apparently as major of a sin as the garish gray on white color scheme so many modern sites seem to be adopting.

Rib poking aside, I hope the transition starts going more seamlessly and I can figure out how Superdad came up with the answer to his own question.

3 hours ago, labjr said:

I don't know what the statistics are for traffic on this site but the new format definitely affects my desire to come here. I've been to this site maybe twice in two months. I still find it difficult to read and don't feel that I'm getting used to it.

The reason I'm here today is because I checked Google news this morning and they've done the same thing. Supposedly they offer a setting so one can go back to the classic view. If they get rid of that option then I'll be looking for another source for my news.

That's a bummer to read. You've been here since 2009!

Have you tried the blue theme (selectable at the bottom)? I know it isn't the biggest change but it may help. I'm thinking about other ways to improve readability and have an idea. 

Timestamps seems to be all messed up right now.  I'm seeing old posts timestamped within the last hour, and I can't see posts from today that are more than 2 hours old.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I just want to know what is the other audio forum that CA is about to absorb! :ph34r:

There are lots of audio 'zines, but not that many active audio forums in the US.  
Head-Fi is out--Jude and Co. are just finishing a big independence transition of their own.  Of course we can scratch off all the odd-fits such as the Asylum, WBF, etc.  And there are some tiny ones that I don't think you would bother with.

My two best guesses are AVrev.com or AudioCircle--the latter would be a good fit.

Now if you are talking overseas or Canada, that's a wider field.

I did just notice that head-case.org uses the exact same forum engine as CA.  Heck, the color scheme is the same.  

Did I guess it Chris? Did I?! Did I?!  Do I win a prize?!  x-D

Hi Guys - We are starting off smaller than you hoped / guessed (but we are actively seeking larger opportunities). However, we will welcome a much more mainstream group of people and hopefully expose them to great sounding music and components to improve their listening experiences.